• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN 8,9,10 NEED Help?? Am I in the wrong forum? Are These Marvel File Copies?

19 posts in this topic

I have never seen a date stamp with the word "FILED" in front of the date. Does anyone know if this means these comics were Marvel file copies? Did retailers ever use the word "FILE" when they received the comics for display? These three copies came from the same person I bought them from and all have the same stamp with different dates. Thanks in advance for anyones knowledge and help. Here are the pictures of the FILED date stamps and the covers of the comics.

16297048806_d35886f4c4_b.jpg

Xmen 8 9 10 by jamesbreitbeil, on Flickr

15700560264_3667ab166f_b.jpg

Xmen 8 9 10 by jamesbreitbeil, on Flickr

The file dates are when the books came out

I don't know who else would file them besides the pub so I believe they are indeed file copies.

Anyone with other Marvel file copies have similar stamps?

Every company that has an ad in the comic, plus the advertisement agency would file a copy for the ads.

Many, if not all distributors would also file a copy of every publication they distributed.

I'm not sure Marvel actually kept file copies.

File copies generally bring a premium because they are in such nice shape. They will sell more than an average book but I doubt they will sell for more, or much more , than a book in similar shape. Unless you can prove they were actually Marvel File copies, which I don't believe they are.

What you do have are exceptional copies of fairly early Marvel books.

shadroch, interesting...yes I bet you are right about advertisers keeping file copies, but saying that you are not sure that Marvel would ever keep file copies is a stretch and literally impossible...or did you mean something else? How could the publisher of the comic not keep printed and published issues of what came out of the press for future reference? I was in publishing for 10 years and I kep at least 20 copies of every thing we did just for reference purposes. I do hope these are Marvel file copies, does anyone recognize that stamp on the back, possibly from Marvel??

first, I don't see why Marvel would ever release any of their in house file copies if they have such a thing (I've always suspected they do-- although it could have been pilfered along the way). Also-- date stamping them seems redundant considering they have the distribution sheets typed up and filed as well.

the condition of these books doesn't look like something that has been stored the same way -- dust shadows on some but not all.

I can see an advertiser holding some copies (stamping it with a distribution or received date) then getting rid of them at some point to whoever and them being absorbed into a collection. I am making a lot of guesses here and that is the time where the dust shadow on 8 may have occurred. Have you looked through them to see if there are additional markings for a specific advertiser? I would assume if they were held as proof that an ad was run, that someone not only checked the book but possible marked the ad inside the book itself.

One other POSSIBLE way these were date stamped was by the original purchaser who may have date stamped everything they bought from the newsstand. Least likely/kind of different but not impossible either considering how many pedigree owners applied there own marking to books over the years-- this being a more modern version.

just throwing out my 2cents

..... It seems like the dates may coincide with distribution dates for these particular issues. My guess would be file copies for a regional distributor to keep a physical record that they did indeed receive the book and the date they were placed on the stands. They would not need to be maintained indefinitely and were likely sold or given away at the discretion of the management..... perhaps after they discontinued their relationship with marvel.... or maybe after all the returns were accumulated. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

shadroch, interesting...yes I bet you are right about advertisers keeping file copies, but saying that you are not sure that Marvel would ever keep file copies is a stretch and literally impossible...or did you mean something else? How could the publisher of the comic not keep printed and published issues of what came out of the press for future reference? I was in publishing for 10 years and I kep at least 20 copies of every thing we did just for reference purposes. I do hope these are Marvel file copies, does anyone recognize that stamp on the back, possibly from Marvel??

Nothing I have ever read, and I've read just about every book published about Marvel and its bullpen ever talks about Marvel having a file cabinet or room with copies of its work.

01TheDude, thanks for your input! you made some great points. By the way there are no dust shadows, the darker areas are the shadows from my ipad and the lights from the background. They are the whitest copies I've ever owned and I am reluctant to take them out of the original 20 year old mylars which are dirty but I need to do that to check the ads and see if there are any markings on them, great suggestion, thanks! Still looking for more input. I hope these are Marvel file copies but if not no big deal. I will probably sell them soon to cover my other comic buying habits! lol.

Nothing I have ever read, and I've read just about every book published about Marvel and its bullpen ever talks about Marvel having a file cabinet or room with copies of its work.

.... I don't recall exactly where I read this.... but it's my understanding that when Roy came to work there in the mid 60's he brought his bound copies (popular at the time with collectors) and they became the basis for Marvel's "research library"..... to help avoid errors in continuity. I believe he continued the practice.... like I said, I'm not sure where I read it. A quick email or letter to him would likely clarify. GOD BLESS...

Jimbo, thanks for your input man! That may be where I go next, talk to someone who actually was there in 1964...or see if he replies to an email. I don't have his contact info, but maybe someone here does. I really appreciate everyone's advise and help. It's something that I think an advanced collector would appreciate, so I will continue to attempt to assertain the origin of these "FILE" date marks. ANyone else who may have info please feel free to chime in. I just want to get to the bottom of this...uhhuh

Roy Thomas publishes Alter Ego and this type of inquiry is something he would most likely respond to..... and for what it's worth, Alter Ego is worth every penny..... a fantastic magazine devoted to the people and times associated with vintage comics , the good ole days....... GOD BLESS....

you mentioned being wary of removing these from their twenty some year old yellowing bags-- I would suggest you get these rebagged and boarded ASAP. The reason the bag is yellow has to do with the acidity on the paper and the poly bag they are in and it is slowly damaging the comics inside. Not to mention they will look nicer in fresh bags and adding backing boards will protect them better -- helps them avoid being bent and corners getting dinged.

For books of this age, I would suggest use mylite2 or something slightly more expensive than polybags. There is an extensive amount of information about comic book protection -- look at this thread in particular....

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3413482