• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Whites - ALL SOLD Thanks

144 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Going to put up for sale some Canadian Whites I have (1941-1945).

These are going to be all coverless (or mostly coverless) and some incomplete.

But honestly these may be the only copy of these ever for sale.

These all come from an original owner collection. I realize I don't say too much on the boards about where I get my comics and such so thought I'd go into depth about this OO.

The story.

Back in about 1999/2000 my Dad found a lead on this Canadian collection. I showed up to the house where there were in fact collected and met with the son. His father was quite old and seemed to have no interest in them anymore. Unfortunately his son had no interest in them either. So he had them all covering the back room floor and literally walked on them to cross.

After I picked my jaw off the floor and regained my speech, I'm like "STOP, wait." and clear a path for him to walk, explaining that they are condition sensitive etc. There were about 100 or so of them.

We get to talking and he tells me his Dad used to be the hub of collectors in the neighborhood. As in he would buy them and then they would come to him to trade for ones they had etc. He would have had more but sometimes they were just lent out and didn't come back.

As were talking I also find out that he has some GA USA as well. He brings those out and I find a Shield Wizard #1, 3 x Flash, 3 Green Lantern, 3 All Star (I ended up getting Joe Kubert to sign 6 of these...another amaing story), All Top 8 and about 20 other choice GA. This struck me as odd so I ask him and he tells me there were boxes more but he shipped them off to Gary Dolgoff for an estimate and he kept the best ones. He was offering them to me since he didn't get very much from Gary.

So, having done this enough times I ask what else he has. He said there were a bunch more in the garage but couldn't sell them now and mentioned there were a couple people that came before I did and took some as well. I shudder to think how many more he had. He said he did have some hockey cards he would sell as well though. These being his they were all from the 1960/70's. Condition was actually quite good for someone whom had no idea on taking care of collectibles. A bunch of Gordie Howe error cards were some of the nicer things but nothing too major.

Anyway back to the story. So we come to an agreement on price (I paid well for the GA USA) and had to make a trip to the bank which we did together and then it was back home. I did stop at a friend of mine's who collects to show him as well and we enjoyed going through them.

At this point I had no idea what Canadian Whites were so I talked quite a bit to Doug Sulipa who at the time was one of the most knowledgeable on the subject. Over the next year I did a bunch more research on them and then started to sell them on ebay.

At the time prices on ebay were nothing so I started selling the worst of the ones I took which were ones with a large cut-out from the front cover of the Bell's. This was common as their was a coupon there for folks to clip. The response was slow at first with a collector from Australia buying a lot of the Double A's, a couple folks from BC buying most of the Maple Leafs and about four guys buying the Bell's, Eddy Smet (long time retired comic store owner and Cdn White collector) among them. The more I sold the more people these startied to attract and bid on them. I believe up to this point, there just wasn't enough supply to create any real demand as in people didn't want to bother collecting something that didn't come up for sale.

In the end I ended up selling the best comics which were the first app of Capt Marvel Jr, and some of the earliest Bell's including Wow #1 and Active #1. Eddy at the time said it was the first time in his 30 years of collecting Whites that he had seen one for sale. As I recall it was a VG and went for $1500 which at time was the highest paid for a white (so I was told).

Back to the story...So after a few years I contacted the OO again and asked if he was ready to sell the rest. He said that we was unable to yet. I mentioned that these ended up being worth a fair amount and gave him an idea of what I was willing to pay. Well that changed his mind and he said I could have some of them. So I go back to his house and he wasn't there, but his Mom was. She is pretty old as well so just tells me they are in a barrel in the garage?!?!?

O.k.a.y... So I go into the garage and sure enough, in an old oil barrel, it was half full of comics. I start rummaging through and the son shows up and says I could take about 1/3rd of them but he still has to keep most. (I believe he was involved in a family dispute for household items and who got the money with his sibblings). I pulled out about another 40 Whites and left the rest which were all coverless or coverless USA comics.

I then sold about half to 2/3rds of these and the other 1/3rd is involved in a very long divorce with my ex along with my original collection.

Every couple years I called the OO up and asked if he was ready to sell and finally last year he was. So I went there and picked up the remainder. In total over 200 Canadian Whites from one owner and that's only the ones I bought. I imagine the people before me bought other #1's etc.

Anyway it is this remainder that I am offering now for sale.

Hope that didn't bore everyone too much :)

If you don't know anything about Canadian Whites basically they were Color cover comics with Black and White interiors published during the war only in Canada. The earliest Canadian Whites were actually done in 1 or 2 colors as well. The War Exchange Conservation Act restricted trade of what was considered non-essential goods from the United States into Canada so US comics were not allowed into Canada during the war. The three main publishers were Maple Leaf and Bell Features which both made completely original comics. Double A (Anglo American) took American stories and had Canadian artists redraw them so the art is original. I will leave it at that as there are a lot of websites you can research the full story on.

RULES

Please say "I'll take it" or post :takeit:

I accept PM's but the above rules first.

No probies or HOS.

Please do not hesitate to combines piles between my different threads. I will be running a GA/SA coverless thread after this one.

I accept paypal and e-transfers. Other methods please contact first.

If you need time payments that is fine but you must be pre-approved by me first, PM for more details.

I welcome you having large piles. As some others will attest, they kept adding to their pile with me for months. You will just need to make a payment on it occassionally.

I do not automatically invoice, PM me when you want to close out your pile.

SHIPPING

Shipping is extra for everything unless specified otherwise in that post.

I will ship anywhere in the world, I've shipped to places like Australia, Hawaii, Singapore, Argentina, Germany etc.

I will ship any method you choose as well. Be advised if you go with a non-tracking option or don't get insurance it is your responsibility. I have no problem sending books with tracking and insurance if you want to pay the extra but you must tell me.

I do live in Canada about 2 hours from the USA border. So shipping to Canada is obviously cheap and it is also pretty cheap for a few books to the USA as well. I can ship to the US anytime from Canada as long as it's 5 books or less using regular mail (as low as $5) in a cardboard mailing envelope (but PM for exact).

For those getting lots of books and wanting cheap US shipping rates I make US postal runs about once every 4-8 weeks as parcels build up. This always works out very well and everyone is pleased with this cheaper option.

My feedback is in my signature line. I've been selling on ebay since 2002 with 100% feedback and on here for 10 years also.

If you have any questions about anything (need more scans, ship quote, etc) please PM them to me.

As a note... most of these comics started the page numbering counting the front cover as page 1. So page 3 is actualy the first page, although for some of them the story started on page 2 which was the inside of the front cover. This was due to paper conservation. Other times (though none of these examples are for sale now) they actually printed 2 pages vertically on 1 page and reduced the pages, and other times again they would print a wrap with only 1 page and a stub on the other side. So there could be 16 pages on 1 side of the staples and only 14 on the other. However the page numbering and story were always complete.

Better Comics (Maple Leaf) Vol 2 #? - 52 page era.

No cover and also missing last page (half wrap) - pages are brittle around the edges but pages can still be turned and enjoyed with care.

Stories are

Commandos

Lost Sub - Adv of Lt Comd Bill Speed.

Black Out Patrol

Pioneers of the Air

Honourable Freddy

This is the only Better Comic I have for sale - Price $13

IMG_8915%20600x800_zpslbob9bzl.jpg

IMG_8916%20600x800_zpsujgsdxns.jpg

As a note... most of these comics started the page numbering counting the front cover as page 1. So page 3 is actualy the first page, although for some of them the story started on page 2 which was the inside of the front cover. This was due to paper conservation. Other times (though none of these examples are for sale now) they actually printed 2 pages vertically on 1 page and reduced the pages, and other times again they would print a wrap with only 1 page and a stub on the other side. So there could be 16 pages on 1 side of the staples and only 14 on the other. However the page numbering and story were always complete.

Better Comics (Maple Leaf) Vol 2 #? - 52 page era.

No cover and also missing last page (half wrap) - pages are brittle around the edges but pages can still be turned and enjoyed with care.

Stories are

Commandos

Lost Sub - Adv of Lt Comd Bill Speed.

Black Out Patrol

Pioneers of the Air

Honourable Freddy

This is the only Better Comic I have for sale - Price $13

IMG_8915%20600x800_zpslbob9bzl.jpg

IMG_8916%20600x800_zpsujgsdxns.jpg

:takeit:

Union Jack Lucky Comics (later renamed Lucky Comics)

This is either #2 or #3 note this is in color.

No cover, missing first 2 wraps plus page 17/18

This is brittle and a lot of care is needed to turn pages.

Stories are Wings of War

Our Happy Family

Young Inventors

Haunted Castle

Halfway House of Civiliation

Ether Escapades

Price $11

IMG_8920%20600x800_zpsiweii8b1.jpg

IMG_8921%20600x800_zpst5r1eig1.jpg

Note that complete copies now in any condition go for $150-800 depending on publisher

Lucky Comics V1 #10 or #11 (X-mas issue) - 52 page era (note that the GCD numbering is wrong)

No cover, missing last page, some brittleness at bottom but can easily be thumbed through and enjoyed

Lucky

Black Wing

Derry Dreamer

Magic

Coast Patrol

Haunted Castle

Danny and Magic Genie

Lost Sub

This is the last Lucky Comic I have for sale $20

IMG_8922%20600x800_zpsyytfuna6.jpg

IMG_8923%20600x800_zpsuht9x1fc.jpg

Note that complete copies now in any condition go for $150-800 depending on publisher

Lucky Comics V1 #10 or #11 (X-mas issue) - 52 page era (note that the GCD numbering is wrong)

No cover, missing last page, some brittleness at bottom but can easily be thumbed through and enjoyed

Lucky

Black Wing

Derry Dreamer

Magic

Coast Patrol

Haunted Castle

Danny and Magic Genie

Lost Sub

This is the last Lucky Comic I have for sale $20

:takeit:IMG_8922%20600x800_zpsyytfuna6.jpg

IMG_8923%20600x800_zpsuht9x1fc.jpg

IMG_8924%20600x800_zps3jhfngyd.jpg

IMG_8925%20600x800_zpshtmnwrt2.jpg

Freelance (unsure of issue but it is #1-8 - there is no Big John Collins yet who appeared in #9)

Complete - Just missing cover - 64 page era

1st story started on back of cover.

Nice pages, just a wee bit of brittleness at one corner, no problem turning/bending pages

Stories

All stories are Freelance trying to thwart the Nazi's

Price $25

Freelance (unsure of issue but it is #1-8 - there is no Big John Collins yet who appeared in #9)

Nice pages, just a wee bit of brittleness at one corner, no problem turning/bending pages

Stories

Price $25

Cool, I thought I had missed it already, but looks like more books on their way? How many roughly are you planning on listing?

Jason

Have about 20 books, just a couple from some of the titles

Never Mind, too slow :(

Stories

Price $25

All stories are complete

Very Nice off-white pages, no problem turning/bending pages

Stories

This is the best Freelance I have for sale - Price $30

IMG_8926%20600x800_zpss7ty0ptz.jpg

IMG_8927%20600x800_zpsyudwoich.jpg

All stories are complete

Very Nice off-white pages, no problem turning/bending pages

Stories

This is the best Freelance I have for sale - Price $30

IMG_8926%20600x800_zpss7ty0ptz.jpg

IMG_8927%20600x800_zpsyudwoich.jpg