• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished Doom Patrol #s 24-50...

14 posts in this topic

...via the first 4 TPBs, and... IDK what to think. It's weird, and I didn't not like it, but IDK if I want to continue to read any more.

Can someone tell me what to think on this?

:D

*EDIT* Oh yeah, I have the first 3 trades of "The Invisibles" up next, any advice going into this Grant Morrison title?

-slym

Anything Morrison writes is dense and filled with crazy ideas........ It takes a few readings for me to appreciate. Did you start with his first issue? That might help the read ...maybe starting a few issue before he takes over.

This and ANIMAL MAN, when Morrison was doing his Alan Moore impression, was his peak work, imo. Have found his own stuff since to be mostly impenetrable. But highly recommend his ANIMAL MAN and DOOM PATROL runs, both excellent reads.

*EDIT* Oh yeah, I have the first 3 trades of "The Invisibles" up next, any advice going into this Grant Morrison title?

-slym

Well, depends upon which volume you've got (Vol. 1, 2, or 3). But - hang onto your britches. I think this was during Grant's "peyote" phase. Lots of conspiracy theory, and aliens, and magic.

If it's Vol. 1, it begins a little more straightforward and gets weird. Vol. 2 jumps straight into the weird, and Vol. 3 is fairly insane.

Vol. 2 has some pretty nice artwork by Phil Jimenez.

I read all of these stone-cold sober, and I enjoyed them to varying degrees. But if I were to re-read them, perhaps some kind of inebriation/chemical introduction might enhance the enjoyment (as I'm sure Grant intended).

Anything Morrison writes is dense and filled with crazy ideas........ It takes a few readings for me to appreciate. Did you start with his first issue? That might help the read ...maybe starting a few issue before he takes over.

Yes, the first trade starts with Morrison's first issue.

-slym

-slym

Well, depends upon which volume you've got (Vol. 1, 2, or 3). But - hang onto your britches. I think this was during Grant's "peyote" phase. Lots of conspiracy theory, and aliens, and magic.

If it's Vol. 1, it begins a little more straightforward and gets weird. Vol. 2 jumps straight into the weird, and Vol. 3 is fairly insane.

Vol. 2 has some pretty nice artwork by Phil Jimenez.

I read all of these stone-cold sober, and I enjoyed them to varying degrees. But if I were to re-read them, perhaps some kind of inebriation/chemical introduction might enhance the enjoyment (as I'm sure Grant intended).

The one from 1994... I don't know anything about this comic, but the first trade starts at 1994's Invisibles #1.

-slym

After reading Morrison's run on Animal Man, the first two trades of dOOM pATROL, and the first volume (or the first three trades) of Invisibles, I've decided that Morrison's stuff is really just not for me. That's not to disparage anyone who likes Morrison, we're allowed to like different things. I know there are people who say that Invisibles changed their lives, so it must be great for people who are into it. But I'm just not into the conspiracy theories and aliens and heavy drug use and whatever other weirdness (not meant in a bad way) that he writes. And I'm not very informed on a lot of the occult topics that he covers, so a lot of it is just over my head--and doesn't leave me with a burning desire to read up on that stuff either.

I enjoyed most of his run on New X-Men, but I'm an X-Men fan, so it's not really a fair comparison. I enjoyed his All-Star Superman and I don't typically like the character, WE3 was fine, so there's that. I'm neutral on his Arkham Asylum. So I'd say his more "mainstream" stuff I'm fine with. But when he really stretches his weirdness legs, I'm out. FWIW and all. No offense to anyone.

Doom Patrol was very interesting but had some major flaws. Like he didn't know what to do with Negative Women so he put her in a cocoon.

Similar to how he treated Wonder Women in Final Crisis the whole tapping into her "bondage past" and making her disappear for most of the story.

Morrison had great ideas but he never could write for characters he either didn't like or create. He always had to create new characters no matter what the series. Hell in Final Crisis he invented a new team even though he had the whole DC universe to work with.

The DP run is early on in his work and is a Copper key due to its very unique structure and take on "reality????" I think Animal Man was better.

The Teen Titans animated version of the Doom Patrol was actually a very good and serious take on the group.

Doom Patrol is DC's greatest shame along with Ted Kord, The Question and Metal Men, on great characters and totally ignoring or writing them into oblivion.