• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 46 What grade, Probably 9.2-9.4 without Tape Pull

14 posts in this topic

Looks like foxing along left edge of back cover, a water stain on back cover top edge (directly above the "w") and then a lot of discoloration below the coupon and near the top staple. So I would say a FN (before tape pull) and VG/FN as is.

With the moisture problems and a very distracting tape pull, I could not call this a 6.0 Fine. At the very best, maybe a 5.5, more likely 5.0 .

I'd say closer to 5.5 than 6.5, Bob. Important to keep in mind the size of the moisture stain and tape pull. If they were a little larger Id go lower, but I think as is 6.0 would be fair. The flaws themselves are very small.

ok, looking at the book in person,it has almost 100% original gloss. To the naked eye up close the back of the book shows no type of staining at all, the only faults i can see visually are a couple of very tiny stress marks on the spine, I am guessing the High Res scan is magnifying ANY "faults'" If this book didnt grade above a 8.5 without the Pull I would be very surprised,

I am not seeing any moisture damage.It looks like more of a dirt smudge, than water....which is easily dry cleaned.

Without the tape pull, I think it'd be 8.5.An 8.0, at the worst.The light amount of foxing can't be graded as more than a minor detraction when you look at how white the rest of the front and back cover is.

Consider that the whiteness of the paper is a clear sign that the structural integrity is stellar, moreso than the onset of minor foxing.

6.0, as is.......... (as is, but with a small amount of dry cleaning around the edges pf the back cover, 5 minutes, tops)

It's a tough call with the tape pull but considering the overall condition of the book ......plenty of eye appeal and the tape pull isn't on Black Bolt's face i.e. the tape pull position isn;t ideal like along the edges but it could be much worse........ to grade this as anything less than a 6.0 is losing sight of the forest for the trees.

Forest for the trees, I tell ya'.

The forest for the trees.

With the moisture problems and a very distracting tape pull, I could not call this a 6.0 Fine. At the very best, maybe a 5.5, more likely 5.0 .

I'd say closer to 5.5 than 6.5, Bob. Important to keep in mind the size of the moisture stain and tape pull. If they were a little larger Id go lower, but I think as is 6.0 would be fair. The flaws themselves are very small.

I entirely agree on your evaluation, although the OP, having the book in hand, might judge better.

Surely not above 8.5 without the pull – for comparision here’s my deslabbed FF#36, which was graded as an 8.0 because of the slight dust shadow and foxing on the back cover. Probably rough, but you see how CGC treats these defects.

nk51MQmh.jpg

cinX8NNh.jpg