• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Fantastic Four 45

13 posts in this topic

I’d give this a FN- because of the minor staining, but can be better.

Paper quality is also an issue, if it’s that dark, but I think your scanner darkens the images a bit, or am I wrong? hm

P.S. I just PMd you about the package: it seems it’s being processed by your postal service… :sick:

"minor staining" is allowed for 6.0 (FINE) as per OSPG pg 211-212. I have no clue what "minor stain" entails. I guess it is up to the individual to determine whether stain on a book is minor or not (shrug) - unless, you guys have an example on hand?

Thanks guys...

I think there is always ambivalence as some refer to the Overstreet grading standards, others go along the lines of CGC, and others make a mix of the two.

Surely minor can have degrees of variation, but they are somewhat visible on your copy. It might just be that I see it worse than it is because the paper in the scan looks pretty dark. Have a look at mine (paper is pretty faithful to how it is in hand):

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8326762#Post8326762

The paper quality on the scan is representative of the actual book. I'm just not sure if the intensity or amount of staining determines whether stain is "minor".

Also, what do you guys make out of the two white dots on the top right edge of the back cover? water drops?

Thanks again!!

Also, what do you guys make out of the two white dots on the top right edge of the back cover? water drops?

CGC treats stains of any kind the same way: it’s not relevant whether it‘s water, Coca Cola or milk… so they are stains both the water based ones (supposedly the two lighter dots, and this shows the book was probably a bit dirty) and the darker ones, probably from another liquid.

I still think the book in hand might be a bit lighter in paper color, but anyway it is a nice copy if the paper is still supple… :)

This looks like it could use a press if you are into that. The two diagonal creases near the left edge of the back cover look like they barely break color. The entire edge looks like it might be improvable. Since most of the flaws are on the back cover I'd say 5.5. If those creases can be countered and the stain can be dry cleaned, since I'm not entirely sure it's foxing, you could potentially benefit from a few grade bumps, possibly as high as 7.0.

CGC treats stains of any kind the same way: it’s not relevant whether it‘s water, Coca Cola or milk… so they are stains both the water based ones (supposedly the two lighter dots, and this shows the book was probably a bit dirty) and the darker ones, probably from another liquid.

I still think the book in hand might be a bit lighter in paper color, but anyway it is a nice copy if the paper is still supple… :)

Thank you Claudio. I sincerely appreciate your feedback!