• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "It" Book Conundrum

41 posts in this topic

A ton of the new "it" books I already own, or in some cases, I do not own them, but I don't really "like" the characters that have recently blown up, so I am not affected.

I figure if people are off buying Harley, Brother Voodoo and Baron Zemo, I will be able to get my Batman, Spider-man, and X-Men books I still need while the focus is elsewhere.

I'm not even a big fan of people like Vision, Ant-man, Black Widow, etc.

I've always been a X-men/Wolverine guy, not the Avengers. For whatever reason....

I've always been curious about the X-Men/Avengers fans, and how their allegiances line up.

Many people I speak too heavily lean one way or the other. I think it is a pretty cool rivalry.

With more movies and perhaps a TV show forthcoming, there is some upside to these X-Books.

Guess we will have to wait and see what trickles out.

What you may have overlooked in the past may be the very thing you desire now. Wanting something that many want often drives that desire. Movie/TV announcements seem to exacerbate those desires. I'm guilty of that. When a lot of collectors/speculators want a certain comic, it makes me want one simply because it is an object of desire for many. I may not enjoy that particular comic, but I will enjoy having one. While there are many comics I like having because of the story or art, there are many that I like having for no other reason than others wanting it.

Fortunately my collecting focus is immune to movie buzz speculation, but stuff can still catch fire, especially if it has a sleeper "classic" cover. If I already have the book, great, it turns out to have been a solid investment, if I don't, well I've gotten to the point where there is only so much I'll pay for a comic I plan to keep, and if it shoots past that, then there are plenty more fish in the sea.

Fortunately my collecting focus is immune to movie buzz speculation, but stuff can still catch fire, especially if it has a sleeper "classic" cover. If I already have the book, great, it turns out to have been a solid investment, if I don't, well I've gotten to the point where there is only so much I'll pay for a comic I plan to keep, and if it shoots past that, then there are plenty more fish in the sea.

This is pretty much where I am as well. There are so many comics still out there that fit my focus and aren't hot movie hype books that I can put off buying the movie hype books for a long time. Maybe forever. Those that I already have well there's the benefit of having a hot book, or even selling said hot book if I have duplicates, and looking for more books that fit my focus and aren't hot.

When a lot of collectors/speculators want a certain comic, it makes me want one simply because it is an object of desire for many. I may not enjoy that particular comic, but I will enjoy having one. While there are many comics I like having because of the story or art, there are many that I like having for no other reason than others wanting it.

I can't comment on this without getting warning points... just... *head explodes*

Yeah, I think I may never upgrade my VG copy of 194. I appear to want a better copy a lot less than the rest of the market.

It drives me crazy. I'd been looking to buy a nice copy of ASM 194 about 2-3 years ago. Then, for some reason, the book shot up. I guess te rumors about the Black Cat's involvement in the film peaked peoples' interest. What bugs me is that I don't even think it is that appealing of a story.

It is great that the hobby has a spotlight on it, but leave the Spidey keys alone until I finish my run, please.

When a lot of collectors/speculators want a certain comic, it makes me want one simply because it is an object of desire for many. I may not enjoy that particular comic, but I will enjoy having one. While there are many comics I like having because of the story or art, there are many that I like having for no other reason than others wanting it.

I can't comment on this without getting warning points... just... *head explodes*

Just being honest. That doesn't mean I'm not a collector. Otherwise, I wouldn't still be in the hobby for about 40 years. I'd love to have some super keys, but that doesn't mean I love them. Action #1 doesn't do anything for me as far the art and story goes, but that doesn't mean I don't want to own one.

Just being honest. That doesn't mean I'm not a collector. Otherwise, I wouldn't still be in the hobby for about 40 years. I'd love to have some super keys, but that doesn't mean I love them. Action #1 doesn't do anything for me as far the art and story goes, but that doesn't mean I don't want to own one.

+1 and I'm glad you said it. I'm sure there are others here that feel the same but can't admit it. It's natural to want what is desirable. If you don't feel that way, cool, but don't patronize.

If I owned an Action #1, I would sell that thing so fast my head would spin.

I've just never been a Supes guy. I understand the historical significance of that book, but I would rather sell it for books I want, then keep a book others claim as their Holy Grail.

I will never have one anyway, but it's fun to talk about.

Now a Tec #27....? That one may have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands... haha

I've just never been a Supes guy. I understand the historical significance of that book, but I would rather sell it for books I want, then keep a book others claim as their Holy Grail.

Now a Tec #27....? That one may have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands... haha

I am the same way. Action 1 very cool book,but the big book that gets my juices flowing is a Tec 27. (worship)

I would sell an Action 1 for a Tec 27 in a New York minute.

Having a book become popular overnight is something that is interesting and worth discussing again, but from a different angle.

Don't you love it/hate it when a book that you have loved for years becomes popular and now it's not that book that was read/discussed/love by a niche within the comic community? It's become mainstream and even non-comic readers know about it.

On the one hand... It's cool that the story and character(s) you have known and loved are now more widely known and possibly loved.

On the other hand... It makes collecting more difficult, especially if the hype sets in just before you are planning to purchase a book.

I could site numerous examples, but you know them all already. Ok... Just one example. I was an Infinity Gauntlet fan from way back to the original publication date. IG becomes hot and I have several copies of #1 and a complete set in multiples. I sold a few and after going through my boxes realized I didn't have a duplicate of issue #5. What was once a $2-$3 book is now a $15-$20 book. But, that's the rub. The give and take in the life of a collector.

Just a curious conundrum the "it" factor plays in the life of a collector.

i picked up a collection with multiples...PM me your address and Ill send out the best copy to you.

What you may have overlooked in the past may be the very thing you desire now. Wanting something that many want often drives that desire. Movie/TV announcements seem to exacerbate those desires. I'm guilty of that. When a lot of collectors/speculators want a certain comic, it makes me want one simply because it is an object of desire for many. I may not enjoy that particular comic, but I will enjoy having one. While there are many comics I like having because of the story or art, there are many that I like having for no other reason than others wanting it.

I collected what I was supposed to like when I was a kid. I ended up not liking a lot of what I'd bought, and I was unhappy doing it, so I stopped.

I totally understand that people may never have been exposed to a title that turns hot, and when they see it, they like it. Very cool. That's not what you're describing, though. I'm not going to psychoanalyze you, I'm just going to say "look, over there, cheap Deadpools!" and get you out of my way! :)

I collected what I was supposed to like when I was a kid. I ended up not liking a lot of what I'd bought, and I was unhappy doing it, so I stopped.

I totally understand that people may never have been exposed to a title that turns hot, and when they see it, they like it. Very cool. That's not what you're describing, though. I'm not going to psychoanalyze you, I'm just going to say "look, over there, cheap Deadpools!" and get you out of my way! :)

:roflmao: Awesome.

Slightly off topic but still relates to IG.. I must have owned at least a dozen sets at some point and I always noticed that IG#4 had issues with it, either discoloration or thumb marks or printer scuff errors.. Im pretty sure its not just my copies, I know there are 88 9.8s and 1 9.9 on the census, but is that a tough book like ASM 301 or what?

I have a few dozen raw copies that are all 9.6/8.8 candidates as they sit. I was fortunate enough to get these from the same guy and they were all bagged and boarded from day 1.

I am the same way. Action 1 very cool book,but the big book that gets my juices flowing is a Tec 27. (worship)

I would sell an Action 1 for a Tec 27 in a New York minute.

But you're in SoCal? hm

I don't go rushing around trying to buy "hot" comics. In fact I don't buy much comics at all. All I'm saying is that it's natural for most people to want what almost everybody else wants. However, if a golden opportunity presents itself, I wouldn't refuse it.

I have many comics that I bought from the past, that are desirable now. Do I like them for the story or art? Maybe, may be not. Do I enjoy having them? Oh, yeah!

I like owning comics for a variety of reasons. You have your own reasons for collecting. You collect what you like and I collect what I like to collect. No need for psychoanalysis :foryou:

All I'm saying is that it's natural for most people to want what almost everybody else wants.

I've never seen someone geeking out of My Little Pony and though to myself "dang, I've gotta get me some of that sweet tail-brushing action!" Have you?