• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "It" Book Conundrum

41 posts in this topic

Having a book become popular overnight is something that is interesting and worth discussing again, but from a different angle.

Don't you love it/hate it when a book that you have loved for years becomes popular and now it's not that book that was read/discussed/love by a niche within the comic community? It's become mainstream and even non-comic readers know about it.

On the one hand... It's cool that the story and character(s) you have known and loved are now more widely known and possibly loved.

On the other hand... It makes collecting more difficult, especially if the hype sets in just before you are planning to purchase a book.

I could site numerous examples, but you know them all already. Ok... Just one example. I was an Infinity Gauntlet fan from way back to the original publication date. IG becomes hot and I have several copies of #1 and a complete set in multiples. I sold a few and after going through my boxes realized I didn't have a duplicate of issue #5. What was once a $2-$3 book is now a $15-$20 book. But, that's the rub. The give and take in the life of a collector.

Just a curious conundrum the "it" factor plays in the life of a collector.

If a story line becomes well-known it can be both good or bad.

The good - maybe the Wanted movie which I felt was better than the source material or the Watchmen movie which I also thought that was well done cool and smart.

The bad would be things like the death of Elektra in DD, that scene was very close to some beloved source material yet the movie wasn't well received. Also with ASM2/Gwen's death where the translation to the screen unleashes the fan-boy in you to the point where you end up going into a waaaay too much detail on back story, circumstances and missed opportunities when your wife asked you a simple question like "Oh, did she die in the comics?"

Source material inquiries from uninterested parties require only a "yes, no or well it happened sorta like that" answer. :blush:

Awkward. :shy:

If a book gets hot the checklist goes like this:

Do I already have it?

Yes :cool:

No :mad:

If I don't have it is it within my collecting focus?

Yes :frustrated:

No :whatev:

It drives me crazy. I'd been looking to buy a nice copy of ASM 194 about 2-3 years ago. Then, for some reason, the book shot up. I guess te rumors about the Black Cat's involvement in the film peaked peoples' interest. What bugs me is that I don't even think it is that appealing of a story.

It is great that the hobby has a spotlight on it, but leave the Spidey keys alone until I finish my run, please.

Hey Ryan :hi:

Your example cracks me up, I was just lamenting about IG #3 :frustrated: Missing it from my collection, went to look on eBay and almost spit coffee out of my nose.

i think my feelings on "it books" are directly related to how much I enjoyed reading the book. Using your example,while I'm happy to see the IG books get some love, it kinda bums me out that the series is now less accessible to a new reader. There's certain silver/Bronze Age keys that I could care less if they become the "it" book because the storyline wasn't that great to me...but in the case of books that I LOVED like IG it becomes a bittersweet feeling.

But this could be said about the entire industry. It seems like before Iron Man, comic book movies were simply regarded as comic book movies. Now a days we have actors staring in comic book movies winning Academy Awards.

It is a very different landscape these days.

I have a coffee-spit moment coming on Infinity Gauntlet too... one of my copies suddenly has a spine split I never noticed before. I'll need a new one, but it sounds like I have to wait until the tide goes back out.

When a book spikes, and I think I have it, there's an initial moment of panic until I find my copy. I go back and flip happily through the rest of the run. To me, I take far more enjoyment out of owning a run than a key, whether it's up or down, hot or not.

Despite being a run collector, I don't stress the movie hype books. Eventually, the lemmings will move on, and leave plenty of copies behind.

It drives me crazy. I'd been looking to buy a nice copy of ASM 194 about 2-3 years ago. Then, for some reason, the book shot up. I guess te rumors about the Black Cat's involvement in the film peaked peoples' interest. What bugs me is that I don't even think it is that appealing of a story.

It is great that the hobby has a spotlight on it, but leave the Spidey keys alone until I finish my run, please.

:cry:

...it kinda bums me out that the series is now less accessible to a new reader.

...but that's not true at all. The TPB is currently in print and has been present with at least one copy at every bookstore and LCS I've been in during the past 3 years. It's also readily available to every kid/teen that has access to a tablet or reader (a number that increases every day).

If anything, it's easier to experience now than it ever was. People can still read it. :thumbsup:

Peace,

Chip

I think as a collector, the current climate for the most part is all positive if you play it right.

The sudden "it" books lets you sometimes pull gold out of your long boxes you didn't know you had and sell it in order to buy other books you've long wanted to add to your collection - grails, etc.

If, however, as a collector, you were hoping to add a suddenly "it" book? Well, because you're a collector and in no rush? You can simply sit out the current frenzy and wait until it calms down and then get the book more cheaply.

The nice thing about these frenzies is that they are unearthing many more copies of these books than ever before, as people go hunting for them. So when the dust settles there are lots of these books in the marketplace.

The ONLY situation where it's rough for a collector is when a suddenly hot book becomes, and stays, a new "key". But I don't think you need to worry about that with IG #3, for example. :)

Keys first before commons. I remember when there were rumors floating that Cameron was going to direct a DeCaprio led Spider-man movie. I finished my run ASAP picking up keys before commons. It saved me a bundle in the long run.

Hey guys, first post!

I guess the big thing that bothers me isn't the sudden spikes in price, it's the mad rush to buy every available book to force the price through the roof. I know that happened with FF 45 and 46 pretty heavily.

I don't mind paying more for keys, even if they're questionable or mini-keys, but let's be reasonable.

New Mutants 98, She-Hulk 1, and the Infinity Gauntlet have gone bonkers lately, just off the top of my head.

I think bababooey said it best: If you have it, good for you. If you don't, figure out whether you want it bad enough to deal with the cost increase. :)

Slightly off topic but still relates to IG.. I must have owned at least a dozen sets at some point and I always noticed that IG#4 had issues with it, either discoloration or thumb marks or printer scuff errors.. Im pretty sure its not just my copies, I know there are 88 9.8s and 1 9.9 on the census, but is that a tough book like ASM 301 or what?

I have had both negative and positive experiences:

I had a half dozen copies of the preacher preview when the tv series was announced. So not only did the prices on those skyrocket I now also get to enjoy what is possibly my all time favorite book in another medium.

XM 141 was a bit annoying, the book has sentimental value to me and I only had low grade readers when the announcement hit. But prices are coming back down and I expect that trend to continue, so a nice 9.8 example should be mine some day soon.

I think this will be the trend for a majority of hot books as most will fade back into obscurity, like ToS 50 and DD 111 for example.

...it kinda bums me out that the series is now less accessible to a new reader.

...but that's not true at all. The TPB is currently in print and has been present with at least one copy at every bookstore and LCS I've been in during the past 3 years. It's also readily available to every kid/teen that has access to a tablet or reader (a number that increases every day).

If anything, it's easier to experience now than it ever was. People can still read it. :thumbsup:

Peace,

Chip

Might be splitting hairs here, but I still disagree. Up until a month ago there were dozens and dozens of all the IG books in the 25c bins at my LCS, which in my area is how many new readers get introduced to new story lines. To a new reader, a 25c investment to see if they like the IG story is easier to swallow than +$15 for the TPB. Just my opinion.

Obviously it's true that digital comics have given more options to new readers, but that's a whole different conversation :)

Hey guys, first post!

I guess the big thing that bothers me isn't the sudden spikes in price, it's the mad rush to buy every available book to force the price through the roof. I know that happened with FF 45 and 46 pretty heavily.

I don't mind paying more for keys, even if they're questionable or mini-keys, but let's be reasonable.

New Mutants 98, She-Hulk 1, and the Infinity Gauntlet have gone bonkers lately, just off the top of my head.

I think bababooey said it best: If you have it, good for you. If you don't, figure out whether you want it bad enough to deal with the cost increase. :)

Welcome to the boards.

Hey guys, first post!

Welcome to the boards.

WTTB!