• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who says reprints aren't in demand?

48 posts in this topic

I use to know all the different changes that were in the reprinted stories. Its been so long since even talking about the old reprint books that my memory fades.

But...

I do remember that in COLLECTOR'S ITEM CLASSICS the reprint for FF#7 they corrected one word. Originally REED says ENLARGING GAS when he should of said REDUCING GAS. REDUCING was the correction.

Another thing to watch for is in COLLECTOR'S ITEM CLASSICS #2. On the cover it shows an alternate cover of FF#2. It has the cover with word balloons. Its believed by some that a few of these actually exist. Very scarce if not impossible to find.

If I think of any others I'll post.

what about the re-inking thing. Ive never taken the time to verify against the originals, but some of the line work in th eearliest reprinted stories is so crude it MUST have been traced later on out of necessity in the bullpen to get the damn reprints to the printer..

I use to know all the different changes that were in the reprinted stories. Its been so long since even talking about the old reprint books that my memory fades.

But...

I do remember that in COLLECTOR'S ITEM CLASSICS the reprint for FF#7 they corrected one word. Originally REED says ENLARGING GAS when he should of said REDUCING GAS. REDUCING was the correction.

Another thing to watch for is in COLLECTOR'S ITEM CLASSICS #2. On the cover it shows an alternate cover of FF#2. It has the cover with word balloons. Its believed by some that a few of these actually exist. Very scarce if not impossible to find.

If I think of any others I'll post.

Very interesting! A 1962 variant!

FF 2

Collector's Item Classics 1 showing the FF 2 variant with the word balloon.

sort of... the cover with the word ballons must have been a production photostat BEFORE Stan decided to remov the balloon... I also remember us discussing this and similar cover changes at some point,..

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif What's a photostat? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Love that YELLOW!

POV, I have NEVER seen the photo of the bullpen advertised on the cover.....anyway you can scan that without doing damage to the book?

[ Note to self: Requesting images from other boardmembers may do damage to reputation as archiver of the entire known universe, but [#@$%!!!] it,....I wanna' see Fabulous Flo Steinberg!]

I have NEVER seen the photo of the bullpen advertised on the cover.....anyway you can scan that without doing damage to the book?

[ Note to self: Requesting images from other boardmembers may do damage to reputation as archiver of the entire known universe, but [#@$%!!!] it,....I wanna' see Fabulous Flo Steinberg!]

Glorious B & W photos reprinted in 4 color format - my recollection from the last time I looked at the Bullpen photos was that everyone looks like my Aunts, Uncles, and other more distant relatives as they may have been pictured at the New York World's Fair. crazy.gif

my recollection from the last time I looked at the Bullpen photos was that everyone looks like my Aunts, Uncles, and other more distant relatives as they may have been pictured at the New York World's Fair.

That kind of sums it up, all right! 27_laughing.gif

Redhook - let me charge up my digital camera and see how that works Unfortunately Flo is right on the spine edge. .

My copy is a bit more beat up.. and my camera is ready to go.

Lemme know and I will shoot flo in all her glory if you have not already.

Ze-

Redhook - let me charge up my digital camera and see how that works Unfortunately Flo is right on the spine edge. .

My copy is a bit more beat up.. and my camera is ready to go.

Lemme know and I will shoot flo in all her glory if you have not already.

Ze-

Please do and all appreciation to you Zeester! The book is still shockingly tight for all its probs. So please! Shoot away and my thanks! ::phew::

Not to worry.. it was already...ummm.. broken in.

Sadly part of the glue during production got on a portion of the cover near the lower edge.. so the lower part of the cover is glued to the book. And made the creasing that much worse.

Anyhow... here is Flo in all her glory.. along with the rest of the wild bunch.

I will need to look through my other issues to find those that were not in the office

Would one be Ditko?..Sinnot?.. I am not sure of the timeline in 64'

Sorry full shot is so small.. break out the spec's.

MTbullpenopen.JPG

MTbullpenFLO.JPG

And if you do not own a copy of this book.. get one!!!

From 1964... all these classic FIRSTS all in one place.

I think this book has legs as a reader, and HG keeper.

Here is my beat up reader.. still looking for a HG copy.

MTcover.JPG

Ze-

Would one be Ditko?..Sinnot?.. I am not sure of the timeline in 64'

You can find Sinnott's mug on the TREASURE CHEST thread, 2nd page (he's #8 in the picture). He was doing TC's at the time. Not sure why Ditko wasn't shown. Might be around the time when he left MARVEL.

Here's something to consider... if collectors generally consider a book with significantly different coloring to be a varient, all of the early reprint books are varients! Back then, they only saved the b&w art, not the coloring. Each time the story was reprinted, it was completely recolored, sometimes with wild differences. For instance, I have 3 different versions of the FF story which introduced the Mad Thinker's Awesome Android (the original issue, an FF annual, and a Marvel Superheroes reprint book. In each book, the coloring is very noticably different. So the cover claims of "exactly as it originally appeared, not a panel omitted!" are not entirely true...

Here's something to consider... if collectors generally consider a book with significantly different coloring to be a varient, all of the early reprint books are varients! Back then, they only saved the b&w art, not the coloring. Each time the story was reprinted, it was completely recolored, sometimes with wild differences. For instance, I have 3 different versions of the FF story which introduced the Mad Thinker's Awesome Android (the original issue, an FF annual, and a Marvel Superheroes reprint book. In each book, the coloring is very noticably different. So the cover claims of "exactly as it originally appeared, not a panel omitted!" are not entirely true...

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Ok, all you variant collectors, there's something else to collect! poke2.gif

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Ok, all you variant collectors, there's something else to collect! poke2.gif

Yep, it's true... here are some scans to prove it:

Heres a page from FF #17:

FF17.jpg

...and here's the same page from Marvel Collector's Item Classics:

MCIC.jpg