• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOMB OF DRACULA #10 CGC MT 9.9!!!!!!!!!!!!

228 posts in this topic

Just another CGC head-scratcher for me, I see miss-wrap(as mentioned earlier) and it could be the scan, but low gloss, as to how that books warrants a 9.9???? Must have been "check the corners day" and let them pull some weight?? 9.9...no way.

WOW, CHECK IT OUT ON www.PEDIGREECOMICS.COM

ONLY ASKING $10K!!!!!!!!!

THE BEST COPY SO FAR

$10K for a miswrap? confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

Yeah, CGC will allow a very slight mis-wrap on a 9.9, but i think there can be no other flaws on the book, so basically a 10.0 with a mis-wrap. If the miswrap is any larger it becomes an automatic 9.8 like the X men #101 i sold on pedigree which was a 9.9/10.0 book with a larger miswrap. Check it out.... yay.gif

http://pedigreecomics.com/detail.php?issue_id=1366

Yeah, CGC will allow a very slight mis-wrap on a 9.9, but i think there can be no other flaws on the book, so basically a 10.0 with a mis-wrap. If the miswrap is any larger it becomes an automatic 9.8 like the X men #101 i sold on pedigree which was a 9.9/10.0 book with a larger miswrap. Check it out....

lol....

I just cut and pasted that exact cover from Pedigree in the "Post Your Favorite Cover" post.

Congratulations.

893blahblah.gif Yeah, but you know....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So It'll be the butt of every joke for the next week, Sticks and Stones! stooges.gif

While I would be the first to say that once you get into 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 that the differences are so minute as to border on arbitrariness, I'm not sure why this particular copy is generating so much hostility. As far as I can tell from the available scan, the front cover is immaculate--the edges are clean, the corners are sharp and the spine is pristine.

As to the "miswrap" that people are screaming about, it's relatively small and it's straight, so while this book is not a 9.9 in the QP scale, it's not some abomination either. In any event, a "miswrap" is a manufacturing defect, not a handling defect, so a book wouldn't be downgraded for this. If you take a look at the 9.9 ASM 135 that is on Heritage, put up by Moondog, it's got a "miswrap" too, so CGC is not being inconsistent.

If people want to ridicule the price, I can certainly understand that. Or if they want to say that no one should pay that much for a book that has less than 10.0 QP, fair enough. But the overwhelming criticism of this book in this thread is unfounded in my opinion. If you think QP should be factored into CGC's grading, that's a valid argument and should be taken up with Steve & Co. My point is we've all seen clearly overgraded books, and this ain't one of them.

While I would be the first to say that once you get into 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 that the differences are so minute as to border on arbitrariness, I'm not sure why this particular copy is generating so much hostility. As far as I can tell from the available scan, the front cover is immaculate--the edges are clean, the corners are sharp and the spine is pristine.

As to the "miswrap" that people are screaming about, it's relatively small and it's straight, so while this book is not a 9.9 in the QP scale, it's not some abomination either. In any event, a "miswrap" is a manufacturing defect, not a handling defect, so a book wouldn't be downgraded for this. If you take a look at the 9.9 ASM 135 that is on Heritage, put up by Moondog, it's got a "miswrap" too, so CGC is not being inconsistent.

If people want to ridicule the price, I can certainly understand that. Or if they want to say that no one should pay that much for a book that has less than 10.0 QP, fair enough. But the overwhelming criticism of this book in this thread is unfounded in my opinion. If you think QP should be factored into CGC's grading, that's a valid argument and should be taken up with Steve & Co. My point is we've all seen clearly overgraded books, and this ain't one of them.

But they DO factor QP into grading. makepoint.gif That is a fact. There are certain QP flaws that they allow in only certain grades, degree of miswrap being one of them. Does any one have an opinion as to whether grading should be based simply on handling damage and/or aging to the book? Should QP be factored in? I think i can speak for most when i say that most buyers want to know what HIDDEN defects the book has and Centering is clearly not a hidden thing, unless you buy the label and not the book in the holder. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are correct on the book looks perfect. And as a high-grade collector I can say that I do want perfect (or near perfect) looking books.

That said, the CGC label game has really caused extreme muliples for extremely LITTLE difference in actual quality of a book. And since many of these high-grade books are resubmits, it is somewhat hard to justify pay double the price for a book because on one day CGC said is was 9.4 then a 9.6, or a 9.6 then a 9.8, or 9.8 then a 9.9, etc. The BOOK HAS NOT CHANGED (unless it was pressed and I'm sure that's not the case with this book), yet the market value as DOUBLED.

893whatthe.gif

But hey, that's the market at this time, so that's the game that's played. grin.gif