• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ken Kelly OA

13 posts in this topic

They went for quite a bit a few years back in auction for close to this amount if not more if I recall correctly too expensive for my blood though. I just commissioned Ken myself to do an original painting.

What? And it was a completed sale? At what venue?

I always regret not making a stronger play for the Love Gun album art. $25k summer 2000. That was a pretty big number back then. Anybody else remember Mark's World's Finest catalog with the huge section of Kelly paintings from around that same time? Again the prices were really up there, but it was quite the selection...

Were the micro aunts pieces in the WF catalog?

No. I used to know where they came from, it was years ago, but I've simply forgotten now! The sale I mean, but they first materialized out of a toy executives estate (iirc???)

re: Love Gun. Aside from being a cheesy Kiss promo image (which in the world of Kiss is actually good!)...there's just a lot more artistically going on there than most Ken Kelly of the period. If you look at Warren covers from the same era...very stiff and...let's say "awkward" camera angles. Dunno what's up with that stuff, but at a certain point Kelly got away from that...or (sorry trufans!) learned to hide it better under lots of over-rendered knuckles, muscles, and rib cages? Anyway...it went for top money of the day, because it was a top piece, not just because it was Kiss.

The WF catalog was primarily Ken's REH covers from the seventies, most were wraparound paintings. Mark Wilson had been attempting to put the "set" back together (an extraordinary and pricey feat) but didn't quite get there. So most of those were for sale and a few other premiere pieces, like Who's Next? and the cover to his first monograph. Those REH paintings were another group of pieces that Ken clearly put a lot more into, they were on par artistically with Love Gun, and one could argue without the Kiss marketing, better "art". I dunno, just some musing there... One more thing, Mark's catalog prices were really ahead of the market. Probably priced then where we are today!

Whos_Next.jpg

Lion_sDen.jpg