• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REMEMBERING THAT FIRST LCS...
3 3

361 posts in this topic

i took that pic into Kin when you originally posted it.he was quite happy.

There was also a woman (girl? she was probably only twenty or so) who worked there and had this uncanny knack of knowing whenever I was skipping school to spend the day at The Comicshop. Maybe it was the fact that I was the only thirteen-year-old in the store at 11 in the morning on a Thursday in the middle of November.

I remember she told me if she saw me there during school hours again she'd kick me out of the store!

The first comic store I ever went to was the Nostalgia Shop in Chicago, run by legend Joe Sarno. Chicago had lots of comic stores in the mid-70s, sort of ground zero.

sarno05.JPG

AR-303209948.jpg

My LCS all through high school was Moondog's Comics in Mt. Prospect, Illinois, headed by our very own Moondog. It is kind of weird to go out for beers with Gary now.

Anyone remember Collector's Comics of Wantagh on Long Island ?

They were awesome when I was a kid. I even remember standing on line to meet John Romita. I still have the copy of ASM 42 he signed.

I remember Collectors Comics in Wantagh

They sold OA in the 80s which was unusual. Picked up covers for like $50 a pop at the time. :cloud9:

Zeck Captain America pages for $25 each. I never got into the art back then myself but would buy a page here and there as birthday presents for comic collecting friends.

They had a lot of connections since there were so many artists living in the area on Long Island. I remember that Mike with the ponytail and glasses wound up working for Powerhouse in Levittown/Hicksville and I remember Joey died of (I think) cancer related illness after moving on to work for Diamond. I wonder whatever happened to the rest of them.

I discovered some of the best comics and music from that store from what would go on when the owners weren't around and the kids ran the shop.

My first LCS was called "The Sports Connection and Comics Unlimited" located at Bathurst and Eglinton in Toronto. Mid 1980's.

They had a 5 year anniversary party and I remember getting lucky as a kid and winning a 20 dollar gift certificate which I promptly spent to buy a Teen Titans #1.

The store became more and more obsessed with sports cards which were HUGE in the 1980's. They began to laugh at comics. So they had a 50% off sale and cleared out all of their old back issue comics and changed their name to just "The Sports Connection".

I remeber the owner saying that the comic book market was going to crash and that sports cards were where to put all of your money. But in fairness, it was hard to foresee the sports card market crash and all those Marvel movies some 15-20 years later.

I also remember how I came in and bought $15 worth of comics, which was pretty decent money for a 14 year old in the 1980's. But I ran to about .05 short. The owner said "sorry". He wouldn't give me a break on that nickel.

To answer an earlier question, I think the first photo I posted was of their first location at 3638 W. 4th Ave (which is less than a block away from the store's current location).

The store I remember, and it sounds like others do too, was the one at 4th and Arbutus owned by Ron and Ken (who later opened a store in North Vancouver called Airship Comics that I also frequented). Kin Jee, below, often worked the counter along with a cast of other colorful characters (hippies). Some of my best books came from those boxes behind him!

pic3.jpg

And this is where I usually blew all the cash I collected on my paper route. Boy did I hate when people refused to pay for their monthly subscription early!

pic4.jpg

That is the store I went (after school) every Thursday or Friday to get my dose of new comics. Alway a good blast to wipe off the horrible times at school on my mind. lol

Yes, there was a girl working behind the counter what I remembered. They had a section of magic cards downstairs on first floor. Second floor are comics and posters, even graphic novels and EC/Gladstone hardcover slipcases.

I discovered some of the best comics and music from that store from what would go on when the owners weren't around and the kids ran the shop.

I almost forgot about the music! The Comicshop also had an eclectic soundtrack to it, and to this day I can be driving in my car, listening to the radio, and hear a song (I remember they used to play the White Album a lot) that immediately drags me back to those long gone treasure-filled comic bins of my youth :cloud9:

For new issues, it was

7-eleven+67c.jpg

and

ca080102c.jpg

My first back issue shop was Fat Jack's at its original Walnut Street location in Philadelphia: Head shop up the steps, comic shop down the steps (it moved to Sansom Street, but the Head Shop, Wonderland, is still going strong).

o.jpg

Grand Avenue Books in Williamsburg Brooklyn (early 80's) was where I first bought comics, but they only had back issues.

My first LCS that I went to for new releases every week was Mike's Continental Comics (Mike Carbo) in Forest Hills Queens, NY. It was a small little shop before he opened up the larger store around the corner. Little Nemo's was a couple blocks away also. Great memories!!

Mid/late 70's for me. My town was small, so I only bought new issues at my newstand. For back issues it was Comics and Comics in Sacramento, Atlantis Fantasyworld in Santa Cruz and Al's Comics in Stockton. I have fond memories with all of those shops as they all had their own quirks, smells and unique awesomeness. I remember bugging my parents to take me to them.

It wasn`t really a comic store, but the first place I ever went to with a real selection of new comics was the Stars & Stripes bookstore on the Army base in Seoul, Korea back in 1972.

The base PX, where my father had previously bought us some comics, were all Gold Keys and Harveys for some reason. Then some kids at school were showing me their superhero comics ("not the kid stuff!") and told me they were sold at the Stars & Stripes.

To this day I remember the smell of newsprint and magazines that hit me as I walked in for the first time, and the "wall" of Marvel and DC comics. My Mom had given me $1, so I could buy FIVE comics! I still own one of them, Captain America 149.

The Million Year Picnic in Cambridge around 1980

I bought Hulk #181 for $1

Got a lot of flack from my sister for paying that much for a comic book

Just went there last Thursday, it has not moved.

My fondest memories are of the Norton flea market

That was the best place to get comics. I once passed on ASM

#1 for $20 because I only brought $20 and I wanted to leave with more than 1 comic book.

It wasn`t really a comic store, but the first place I ever went to with a real selection of new comics was the Stars & Stripes bookstore on the Army base in Seoul, Korea back in 1972.

The base PX, where my father had previously bought us some comics, were all Gold Keys and Harveys for some reason. Then some kids at school were showing me their superhero comics ("not the kid stuff!") and told me they were sold at the Stars & Stripes.

To this day I remember the smell of newsprint and magazines that hit me as I walked in for the first time, and the "wall" of Marvel and DC comics. My Mom had given me $1, so I could buy FIVE comics! I still own one of them, Captain America 149.

Marks Jewelers inserts?

I believe it was Little Nemo's off of Austin Street in Forest Hills NY. It was near the "L" that the LI Rail Road ran on. Typical shop that was small, cramped, dark and dusty.

My first experience picking up back issues was out or Richie Muchins van in the 70's at the Aqueduct Racetrack flea market.