• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think is Hickman's best book? East Of West?

31 posts in this topic

Love his Avengers run so far, it's one of my favourite reads every month. But,y you have to be reading Avengers and New Avengers to get the most out of it I think. It's also pretty damn long, it might be worth it go back and revisit it once it's all done and read it front to back. :shy:

It's been especially good the last little while as all the pieces are starting to come together. He's even started to bring more and more stuff in from his FF/Ultimates run. When it's all said and done this will be a pretty great run but I can see how it's definitely a love/hate thing with his writing style.

Love his Avengers run so far, it's one of my favourite reads every month. But,y you have to be reading Avengers and New Avengers to get the most out of it I think. It's also pretty damn long, it might be worth it go back and revisit it once it's all done and read it front to back. :shy:

It's been especially good the last little while as all the pieces are starting to come together. He's even started to bring more and more stuff in from his FF/Ultimates run. When it's all said and done this will be a pretty great run but I can see how it's definitely a love/hate thing with his writing style.

Yeah, I think it would read better in trade format. I hope an omni is coming when its all done. This was the first time I ever pulled an Avengers book, I like the slow burn and over the top things hes doing in it.

I wouldn't say his Avengers are terrible, but it hit a point where it seems like it was being really stretched. I think it has since recovered, but it's the good stuff definitely book ends some mediocrity.

Terrible characterization with dull clichéd storylines.

He tries far too hard to make those issues 'epic'.

I wouldn't say his Avengers are terrible, but it hit a point where it seems like it was being really stretched. I think it has since recovered, but it's the good stuff definitely book ends some mediocrity.

Terrible characterization seemed to become an allmark with Marvel in the last 8-10 years, but not just Hickman.

Hickman has some brilliant ideas, but his writing style is just opinionated, and I dare to say occasionally pretemptious and naive at the same time. I am just browsing his Fantastic Four/FFs for the first time and I see how hard he tries to be "exciting", but the substance is (mostly) not there, and even less the characters.

Terrible characterization seemed to become an allmark with Marvel in the last 8-10 years, but not just Hickman.

Hickman has some brilliant ideas, but his writing style is just opinionated, and I dare to say occasionally pretemptious and naive at the same time. I am just browsing his Fantastic Four/FFs for the first time and I see how hard he tries to be "exciting", but the substance is (mostly) not there, and even less the characters.

Almost everything Hickman has touched in the creator owned arena, I've liked.

I have to blame editorial control / writing for IPs, I can't imagine he is suddenly just bad. Of course, he could just be phoning it in and giving the lion's share of his focus to his creator owned titles.