• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think is Hickman's best book? East Of West?

31 posts in this topic

Anyone read Secret Warriors?

It was during the "Siege" timeline.

It was excellent.

Daisy had a lead role. Ares' son, the god of fear, was a badass character in it.

It even had old school cigar chomping Nick Fury.

Highly recommended.

Enjoy the massive scope and world-building of EoW, but MP is my favorite Hickman book, overall, because of the humor.

MP was also my first, proper introduction to Hickman's writing (not including one issue of NIGHTLY NEWS I read years ago). I was blown away. I rushed out to get his other Image titles (PAX ROMANA, TRANSHUMAN, RED MASS TO MARS, NIGHTLY NEWS)...and found them way too dense, with none of the fun of MP.

So the key, for me, to enjoying Hickman's work depends on his collaborators. He's either picked well or been extremely lucky in finding just the right guys, artists whose sensibilities balance out his own.

Regardless, the guy is a smart writer, and I will continue to check out anything creator-owned with his name attached to it (just like BKV, Jason Aaron, Greg Rucka, Ed Brubaker, et al).

Has anyone read his first series The Nightly News?

Curious on its quality, and if it is worth a read.

I read the first trade on a recommendation. It didn't really do anything for me.

Me either.

Only read the 1st issue of Nightly News and it was a hot mess. I found the first 2 issues of Red Wing in a bargain bin & liked it, but I'm too cheap to pay full price for 3 & 4. EoW and MP are my favorites (haven't read FF). I did recently pick up The Secret tpb and will dive into that soon.

Manhattan Projects, hands down, for me.

Seconded.

I'm a huge fan of East of West as well, but it is more about the world. The incredibly serious nature of the book also makes it impossible for me to love it as much as I love Manhattan Projects.

Having said that, both books are modern classics in my opinion, though I do think they are jeopardizing that status with MP by deciding to go the series of mini-series route. I think it's a really bad decision.

I got into Hickman's work with SHIELD, and he's been my favorite writer (along with Brubaker) ever since. Without discover SHIELD and Incognito, I don't think I'd still be reading comics today. They totally changed my view on what a comic should, and could, be. Through those books I began reading more and more Indie comics, because I just couldn't do superheroes anymore. I have followed everything those writers have done since and have done my best to go through they're previous works.

Personally, I think East of West is Hickman's best. Next I would be tempted to throw in SHIELD, but I'm still patiently awaiting the final two issues. Manhattan Projects is definitely also a quality book. Those three I think are certainly reasonable choices for anyone to pick as their favorites. After those, I really enjoy The Red Wing, Secret, and A Red Mass for Mars interns of his creator owned work, and Fantastic Four/FF and Secret Warriors in his Marvel catalog.