• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Variation on New Mutants #86

49 posts in this topic

Hi everyone:

I recently bought a copy of New Mutants #86 (first cameo appearance of Cable) and I noticed something weird. I noticed that some covers of #86 have a black ink blob at the lower right corner of the cover, and some covers do not (see images below).

nm86A.jpg

nm86B.jpg

Is there some weird variation that I don't know about? As far as I know, there was only 1 printing of this issue. If you search for this comic on eBay, you'll see some copies have the ink blob in the lower right corner of the cover and some do not have it. I bought a copy that has the weird ink blob at the lower right corner so I'm hoping that it's not "inferior". I checked the indicia on mine and it indicates a first printing.

Is there an explanation for these cover variations. Are one of these covers more desirable or valuable?

Thanks for any input.

Hi everyone:

I recently bought a copy of New Mutants #86 (first cameo appearance of Cable) and I noticed something weird. I noticed that some covers of #86 have a black ink blob at the lower right corner of the cover, and some covers do not (see images below).

nm86A.jpg

nm86B.jpg

Is there some weird variation that I don't know about? As far as I know, there was only 1 printing of this issue. If you search for this comic on eBay, you'll see some copies have the ink blob in the lower right corner of the cover and some do not have it. I bought a copy that has the weird ink blob at the lower right corner so I'm hoping that it's not "inferior". I checked the indicia on mine and it indicates a first printing.

Is there an explanation for these cover variations. Are one of these covers more desirable or valuable?

Thanks for any input.

Yes, this is a long known issue. About half the books have the blob, and half don't.

Nothing special, just interesting.

And #86 isn't really a Cable cameo. It's an ad.

When Cable was hot, it was considered a cameo.

Depended on who you asked.

Fair enough.

The shops and people I spoke with during that time tried to sell it as a 1st appearance in a cameo.

As a Cable fan, I had to get it in 9.8 regardless.

Cable is part of the story. He only speaks in two panels (in shadow with arm showing). Next panel is the "Next Issue" one with his face showing.

That's (theoretically) Stryfe.

Yes, Stryfe. Both the characters arms are metal in NM 86.

As I have 7 copies of 86 and only 1 or 2 of 87, i think we need to work on that being considered a first appearance cameo. With a little luck I can make enough money to order chinese food for dinner tomorrow night.

When Cable was hot, it was considered a cameo.

Depended on who you asked.

Fair enough.

The shops and people I spoke with during that time tried to sell it as a 1st appearance in a cameo.

As a Cable fan, I had to get it in 9.8 regardless.

Definitely. Near the beginning, it was even the more valuable book because of Liefeld, rather than Cable.

There were, as now, people trying to claim that as a "first appearance" when #87 really soared, but then, more rational heads prevailed.

Even more rationally, that's why Iron Fist #13 never became "the first cameo appearance of Sabretooth."

As I have 7 copies of 86 and only 1 or 2 of 87, i think we need to work on that being considered a first appearance cameo. With a little luck I can make enough money to order chinese food for dinner tomorrow night.

giggle.gif

-slym

giggle.gif

-slym

for this sort of book and the kind of quantity i have i tend to think of "will this pay for deliver/takeout" on the night(s) i am too lazy to cook for my family (as my wife cooks once a year, maybe). if this can become a $5 book, at 7 copies, it will indeed pay for some delivery!

once i was walking by a comic shop with the family en route to our favorite local chinese restaurant. the comic shop was closed, but i guess someone had brought some comics to sell and they were closed and just gave up and left the box outside -- a bunch of sandman TBPs (1st prints) and some issues (20s - 30s). anyway, i sold them here that night and it basically paid for our $50 chinese feast.

Thanks for the info about this issue.

Overstreet Guide still lists it as Cable's first brief appearance. I see your point about the Cable appearance being an "ad", yes, a lot of first (brief) appearances can be considered ads for the next issue. These characters were introduced as teasers to get readers to buy the next issue. e.g. Apocalypse in X-Factor #5, or Wolverine in the Incredible Hulk #180.

RockMyAmadeus wrote: "And #86 isn't really a Cable cameo. It's an ad."

Overstreet Guide still lists it as Cable's first brief appearance. I see your point about the Cable appearance being an "ad", yes, a lot of first (brief) appearances can be considered ads for the next issue. These characters were introduced as teasers to get readers to buy the next issue. e.g. Apocalypse in X-Factor #5, or Wolverine in the Incredible Hulk #180.

Not the same.

Wolverine speaks, he is part of the story. Same with Apocalypse.

Cable is NOT part of the story, any more than Sabretooth is in Iron Fist #13.

Not the same.

Wolverine speaks, he is part of the story. Same with Apocalypse.

Cable is NOT part of the story, any more than Sabretooth is in Iron Fist #13.

The folks at Overstreet have a pretty broad definition of "first brief appearance". Similar to the Cable situation in NM #86, Doomsday wasn't part of the story either in Man of Steel #17. You only see his fist punching through a steel wall, but it's also considered his first brief appearance in the Guide.