• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover Variation on New Mutants #86

49 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info about this issue.

Overstreet Guide still lists it as Cable's first brief appearance. I see your point about the Cable appearance being an "ad", yes, a lot of first (brief) appearances can be considered ads for the next issue. These characters were introduced as teasers to get readers to buy the next issue. e.g. Apocalypse in X-Factor #5, or Wolverine in the Incredible Hulk #180.

Not the same.

Wolverine speaks, he is part of the story. Same with Apocalypse.

Cable is NOT part of the story, any more than Sabretooth is in Iron Fist #13.

The folks at Overstreet have a pretty broad definition of "first brief appearance". Similar to the Cable situation in NM #86, Doomsday wasn't part of the story either in Man of Steel #17. You only see his fist punching through a steel wall, but it's also considered his first brief appearance in the Guide.

I don't dispute the OPG's broadness. I don't agree with it.

MOS #17 (and the other three) are actual story appearances. Doomsday is doing something, the art is sequential, and tells a story.

Cable's "next issue" blurb is just that.

http://earlyretirementdiary.com/cable-key-issues-that-are-undervalued/

i can't copy the image...but looking at that last panel, i remembered it differently as just his face within the "coming next month blurb", but here he is with his body, holding a gun, etc.. how do we know it's just a teaser rather than a panel showing him standing there observing something or whatever? it is a little closer than i thought. one could argue, perhaps not effectively, that it could be part of the story like at the end of a TV episode you see a glimpse of a character who is going to pop up in the next episode (like on walking dead a few episodes ago where they do the reveal on the guy who has been following them but wearing a mask and it is crazy dude from a few seasons earlier)

only rob liefield really knows what was intended by that panel.

#86 is just an ad to hype up #87.

I'm a huge Cable guy, but it is what it is.

#87 will always be the money book.

But like I've said before, a Cable fan will want them both.

we need to ask rob what his intentions were.

as this would generate more opportunities to sell autos for more books, he might decide this was really a cameo

and i'll have myself a stack of future chinese food!

Is that Sabretooth under the cloak?

the panel is confusing as i was wondering if there was going to be a character called snowfire

That's how I read it too.

A new villain named Snowfire.

The name of the story is "Snowfire."

Sabretooth isn't in IF #13...he appears in the bottom right corner, in the next issue blurb.

alright, juvenile, i know, but i need to get my fart jokes ready as i have been ordered out of the house for the weekend to get out of mom's hair and need to entertain the 9 year old (the 3 year old laughs at anything)

I always loved this cover and its homage to ASM 2's splash page.

For those of you interested in original art, the actual cover to New Mutants 86 featuring Liefeld pencils inked by McFarlane is for sale right now in the ComicLink auction that just started:

ComicLink Auction for NM 86 cover