• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I wish I could press books...

98 posts in this topic

At the end of the day, why can't we simply leave some books alone. Why does every last book have to be pressed. Does anybody just enjoy the books anymore or is it all about the flip ? If you want to make some REAL MONEY, invest in the stock market. It's on fire.

Agreed. Comics should always be left in their natural state... and by natural I mean they should never ever be collected! That is the greatest artificiality of all. Comics should be read, re-read, tossed across the room at your little brother, rolled up in your back pocket, and eventually thwown out with that stack of old newspapers in the garage. This is the natural order of things. There is no difference between pressing or cleaning a comic to remove previous natural damage, and putting it in a plastic bag to prevent future natural damage. Both are artificial environments and offensive to the intended purpose of the book.

I don't know that I will ever press anything of real value but if I can bring up the value of even 15 $10 books it will have paid for itself.

It scares me that many of you simply think the 'knowledge' of pressing books is acquired solely by the purchase of a press. Of all the career paths in life, is the pressing of a comic book to make 3 dollars really your ambition ? Will I soon see a late night infomercial on pressing comics for profit. I'm not exactly sure what I am trying to say here but maybe it's GET A LIFE .

I think you are overreacting a tad here, The knowledge of how to press is so closely guarded by those who do it for a living that experimenting is the only way for a lot of people. I don't have any ambitious pressing dreams nor do I see it as a future career, All I see a book with some damage that could be fixed with little effort and yeah I want to do it.

I am below an amateur and would barely even say I've tried, What I have gathered is it's not hard to have success and it's not hard to fail, A lot of use are looking for that middle.

Also most people already believe pressing = profit, So look out for that specialty comic press and the following infomercial.

At the end of the day, why can't we simply leave some books alone. Why does every last book have to be pressed. Does anybody just enjoy the books anymore or is it all about the flip ? If you want to make some REAL MONEY, invest in the stock market. It's on fire.

Agreed. Comics should always be left in their natural state... and by natural I mean they should never ever be collected! That is the greatest artificiality of all. Comics should be read, re-read, tossed across the room at your little brother, rolled up in your back pocket, and eventually thrown out with that stack of old newspapers in the garage. This is the natural order of things. There is no difference between pressing or cleaning a comic to remove previous natural damage, and putting it in a plastic bag to prevent future natural damage. Both are artificial environments and offensive to the intended purpose of the book.

If that's the case then the art of pressing shouldn't be 'secret sauce'? (shrug) If there's zero difference between pressing a comic and bagging one, then why all the mystery?

Anyone's inability to retroactively mimic preservation using a dry mount press must be addressed posthaste. For the good of the hobby, of course.

I don't know that I will ever press anything of real value but if I can bring up the value of even 15 $10 books it will have paid for itself.

It scares me that many of you simply think the 'knowledge' of pressing books is acquired solely by the purchase of a press. Of all the career paths in life, is the pressing of a comic book to make 3 dollars really your ambition ? Will I soon see a late night infomercial on pressing comics for profit. I'm not exactly sure what I am trying to say here but maybe it's GET A LIFE .

I think you are overreacting a tad here, The knowledge of how to press is so closely guarded by those who do it for a living that experimenting is the only way for a lot of people. I don't have any ambitious pressing dreams nor do I see it as a future career, All I see a book with some damage that could be fixed with little effort and yeah I want to do it.

I am below an amateur and would barely even say I've tried, What I have gathered is it's not hard to have success and it's not hard to fail, A lot of use are looking for that middle.

Also most people already believe pressing = profit, So look out for that specialty comic press and the following infomercial.

What you are saying saddens me to no end.For me finding a book that has survived 40,50,60+ years in beautiful shape is what is the whole point of collecting.Challenging,yes. The manufacturing of higher grades defeats my purpose,but then again I'm not a flipper.I do feel in my heart that pressing has attributed to the lowering values of most books.

I certainly hope some\all of you one day will abandon this practice in favor of actually searching for that one true beautiful book that you want,instead of manufacturing one.

What you are saying saddens me to no end.For me finding a book that has survived 40,50,60+ years in beautiful shape is what is the whole point of collecting.Challenging,yes. The manufacturing of higher grades defeats my purpose,but then again I'm not a flipper.I do feel in my heart that pressing has attributed to the lowering values of most books.

I certainly hope some\all of you one day will abandon this practice in favor of actually searching for that one true beautiful book that you want,instead of manufacturing one.

Thank god. I'd hate for an Action Comics #1 to cost $3.2 million and an Amazing Fantasy #15 to cost $1.1 million.

don't know about my heart, but i know it for a fact in my wallet

Nothing is better than finding that perfect book (untouched just the way it is) but that also comes with a price.

lol We really need to have a sarcasm font for those that get so uptight about stuff, The pressing question here is should we italicize our sarcastic comments?

Nothing is better than finding that perfect book (untouched just the way it is) but that also comes with a price.

lol We really need to have a sarcasm font for those that get so uptight about stuff, The pressing question here is should we italicize our sarcastic comments?

yea that's a good idea ....

yea that's a good idea ....

lol (lol)

I've contemplated this before and looked around for presses just out of curiosity. My LCS commented that he wished there was a good presser in the area and it got me thinking. It would be a lot of money up front though and it might take a bet to see it pay off.

With the amount of volume you are moving Chip, it might be a good investment though. Even if you got $5 extra a book, it would pay off over time.

I've contemplated this before and looked around for presses just out of curiosity. My LCS commented that he wished there was a good presser in the area and it got me thinking. It would be a lot of money up front though and it might take a bet to see it pay off.

Hell, do it like a Bookmobile. Buy one of these badboys and travel the nation setting up at LCS's and Cons all across the land. The Captain Kirk of kinks, curls and crinkles.

home-slider-3.jpg