• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore books. What did you like? What didn't you like?

109 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about doing a bunch of threads like this with different writers.

Maybe Frank Miller, Robert Kirkman, Mark Millar, Warren Ellis or anyone really.

If anyone wants to start a similar thread do it up or I probably will eventually.

So most everyone knows how awesome Watchmen and Miracleman are. But what I'm curious about is his underappreciated books that people don't mention as often. If you want to talk about Watchmen or his popular stuff please do.

I read The Courtyard a long time ago and remember it being ok and weird and was thinking about rereading it. Didn't it have a sequel or prequel?

ABC awesome, LoEG first volume awesome, less so after that for me. I also recommend Swamp Thing, the single issue of Majestic that Carlos D'Anda drew as his first pro assignment (a fantastic tale of the death of the universe). and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

I recently started a thread about From Hell. I got about half way through the book a few weekends ago and just haven't had the desire to pick it up. It just didn't do it for me at all. I like compelling characters and I didn't find myself carrying about anyone.

I'm also not a fan of The Killing Joke. I read it about 4 years ago for the first time, and I just found more modern Bat stories better.

I really enjoyed V for Vendetta.

I also enjoyed Watchmen, obviously.

V for Vendetta is possibly one of my favorite stories of all time,next to the Crow that is.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is a must have

Frank Millers Sin City,A dame,big fat kill,That yellow , is a must own.

Let's not forget Watchmen.

Fantastic maxi-series. Also a good movie, though not true enough to the books. I am sure many will disagree, but the music and Silk Spectre alone were worth the price of admission.

As far as V goes, I actually like the movie over the book. Both are good though.

Also another vote for Swampie, good stuff.

I would put Miracle Man right there with Watchmen.

I almost said it is #1....

I haven't read a whole lot of his books.

1st LoEG was great.

V great as well.

Never read his Swamp Thing or Supreme yet. Swamp Thing is on my list of TPBs to buy.

I loved all of--

The Killing Joke

From Hell

Fashion Beast

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (first full volume)

Lost Girls

Miracleman

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

Swamp Thing

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

Neonomicon was meh to me. I've read the first two volumes (12 issues) of Promethea and I'm just not into it at all--maybe if I knew anything (or really cared) about the subject matter I would have been more into it.

Miracleman, Watchmen, Swamp Thing - my favorites. I'm not sure how 'under the radar' any of Moore's work can fly.

I haven't cared for his more recent stuff near as much, but then I'm hardly alone in that. As an example, and in reference to a question you ask in your post, The Courtyard, and it's follow up, Necronomicon, had some interesting Lovecraftian roots, but other than I couldn't really say that it had much else going for it - I don't think I could strongly recommend it.

I've been thinking about doing a bunch of threads like this with different writers.

Maybe Frank Miller, Robert Kirkman, Mark Millar, Warren Ellis or anyone really.

If anyone wants to start a similar thread do it up or I probably will eventually.

So most everyone knows how awesome Watchmen and Miracleman are. But what I'm curious about is his underappreciated books that people don't mention as often. If you want to talk about Watchmen or his popular stuff please do.

I read The Courtyard a long time ago and remember it being ok and weird and was thinking about rereading it. Didn't it have a sequel or prequel?

I loved this.

From_hell_tpb.jpg

Miracleman, Watchmen, Swamp Thing - my favorites. I'm not sure how 'under the radar' any of Moore's work can fly.

I haven't cared for his more recent stuff near as much, but then I'm hardly alone in that. As an example, and in reference to a question you ask in your post, The Courtyard, and it's follow up, Necronomicon, had some interesting Lovecraftian roots, but other than I couldn't really say that it had much else going for it - I don't think I could strongly recommend it.

I think a lot of his America's Best Comics haven`t been discovered yet, and are under the radar.

Some brilliant stuff there.

Stock up now before the movie hype. ;)

I think a lot of his America's Best Comics haven`t been discovered yet, and are under the radar.

Some brilliant stuff there.

Stock up now before the movie hype. ;)

I guess you may be right as far as that goes, but most of us are probably at least aware of that work, even if many of us haven't read it. I know I've been meaning to read Top 10 for many years now and still haven't gotten around to it!

What did I like, other than his entire Swamp Thing run?

"For the Man Who Has Everything" - Superman Annual #11

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" - Superman #423, Action Comics #583

"Mogo Doesn't Socialize" - Green Lantern #188

"Brief Lives" - The Omega Men #26

"A Man's World" - The Omega Men #27

"The Jungle Line" - DC Comics Presents #85

"In Blackest Night" - Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #3

"Mortal Clay" - Batman Annual #11

"The Killing Joke" - Batman: The Killing Joke

I never got the chance to read these.

"Father's Day" - Vigilante #17-18

"Night Olympics"- Detective Comics #549-550

"Footsteps" - Secret Origins #10

Top Ten is one of the strangest superhero stories of all time-I think you'd like it

It's like Justice League on acid or something

Top Ten is one of the strangest superhero stories of all time-I think you'd like it

I enjoyed Top Ten and didn't find it that difficult. Promethea was the ABC title that got a bit too pretentious and psychedelic for me.

They should do a new printing and put your blurb on the cover - I'd read it.

As an aside, the last time I read a story that could be described as 'JLA on acid' it was Morrison's JLA run.