• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never dismiss small show.

132 posts in this topic

Girl approaches collector set up selling comics at a show with Hulk 181:

'can you tell me how much this is worth?'

'do you want to sell it?'

'how much will you give me for it?'

'I'll give you $20'

'Uh-ok'

Notice the difference?

So you're saying you'd be a good guy and give her $200 not $20....

If it were really high grade I may give her $2000...or more.

It has a repro cover, missing wraps and value stamp cut out

That sounds like your copy.

Girl approaches collector set up selling comics at a show with Hulk 181:

'I'll give you $20'

'Uh-ok'

Notice the difference?

So you're saying you'd be a good guy and give her $200 not $20....

If it were really high grade I may give her $2000...or more.

It has a repro cover, missing wraps and value stamp cut out

That sounds like your copy.

How much you give me?

To the people saying dealer's don't pay enough....give it a try from the other side of the counter. See how long it takes to find collections, buy them, organize them, properly market them, pay overhead at a store or show, and see how much of the inventory sits for years before it moves at "retail".

+1

For me, i will always lowball educated collectors. Always.

"NM98 in NM condition? Ill give you $20 for it. No more than that. Other dealers around the room will definitely give you more for it but i wont."

I always give dealers more money when buying. They have what i want and i want to keep a good relationship when i need books at discounted prices. Its usually 1 offer and a counter before the deal is done.

When selling, i give great deals. Sometimes i throw keys in for free if they spend enough, and the keys aren't my wife's books but she doesn't have many.

In Ohio last year i had a FN/FN+ copy of asm 129 on my wall for $250 and a couple was looking at it and the guy said to his lady, "Wow first punisher, wish i could get something like that." I was in a good mood and asked, "how much would you give me for it. Im a dealer who likes offers, always make an offer." He laughed and said " "$125?" I said "Deal." A dealer who was looking through my boxed keys behind the table said "i would have given you that." I told him "then why didn't you say anything?" Doesn't always happen but if I'm in a good mood at a show from selling a lot, ill do it.

For uneducated collectors, i tell them the value of their collections and what i can pay so that i can make something. Some sell some don't, but i always let them know the keys and what the value is of the entire collection so they can go their own route if they choose not to sell. I cant rip off an uneducated comic seller. I would feel terrible.

I can be at your shop tomorrow for those mid grade ASM 129s for $125. I'm bringing a truck load of cash.

dont have a shop but will be in Cleveland at the end of the month :)

Girl approaches dealer collector with Hulk 181:

'I'll give you $200'

'Uh-ok'

Notice he never answered her initial question

How is a dealer taking advantage of someone any different than a collector taking advantage of someone?

'I'll give you $200'

'Uh-ok'

How is a dealer taking advantage of someone any different than a collector taking advantage of someone?

A dealer makes his living selling comic books. He is a professional comic seller. If you ask any kind of professional about a topic in his field, you expect that the person has the expertise to give you an honest, accurate answer.

If someone spent their whole life studying ceramics and recognizes a valuable piece at a yard sale that would never be recognized and end up a broken ash tray one day does he have to let the cat out of the bag so the person who has spent their life watching Oprah gets the big haul while he walks away with nothing? Shouldn't there be some reward for those who take the time to learn about collectibles?

That's what dealers are. Yet you hold them to a higher standard than individuals.

It's different if a private citizen stumbles upon something at a yard sale than a dealer who has a shop and a professional ethic I believe.

Its not, they are both profiting off someone who doesn't have the knowledge of a certain collectible. The moment you sell a comic for more than you bought it for, you are a dealer/comic profiteer/whatever. Maybe not a full time dealer, but definitely part time. Dealers make money off of comics, buy low as possible, sell as high as possible. Same as everyone on this message board. Including you.

'I'll give you $200'

'Uh-ok'

A dealer makes his living selling comic books. He is a professional comic seller. If you ask any kind of professional about a topic in his field, you expect that the person has the expertise to give you an honest, accurate answer.

And most will.

'I'll give you $200'

'Uh-ok'

And a collector is exempt from giving an honest, accurate answer? Just because you're not a dealer, does it give you the right to rip off somebody? As a collector you have no moral obligation or ethics? If it's not okay for a dealer, why would it be okay for a collector?

'I'll give you $200'

'Uh-ok'

And a collector is exempt from giving an honest, accurate answer? Just because you're not a dealer, does it give you the right to rip off somebody? As a collector you have no moral obligation or ethics? If it's not okay for a dealer, why would it be okay for a collector?

To answer your initial question again, people expect an honest answer from a professional, someone known in the industry with an established business. It's never okay to fleece someone, but I would hope people would be more wary of someone they met on the street or on Craigslist. The world is a lousy place sometimes.

'I'll give you $200'

'Uh-ok'

This whole area is grey. The concept of asking "how much is it worth" reveals a real problem. What does "what its worth" actually mean? In what scenario? At full retail? On ebay? At a Heritage auction? In OSPG? As a dealer buying to resell? On the CGC boards?

Asking "what is it worth" is asking for an appraisal. Comics is a weird collectible area. It shuns restoration where other collectible areas understand and accept restoration more readily. Other areas charge for appraisals. An appraisal generally costs $200-$400/hour. Asking "what's it worth" is, to me, an unfair and unrealistic question. Ask 10 dealers what a particular book "is worth" and you will probably get 10 different answers.

Now as far as the refs I have seen regarding the "older gentleman", which somehow morphed into "an old man". I'm sure that, at 64 years old, I would be considered at least "an older gentleman" if not "an old man" by the standard of many yutes here on the boards. ("What's a 'yute'?" ... "Oh, excuse me, your honor ... YOUTHS!") But this older gentleman would probably run rings around many when it come to restoration, resto detection, Pre-Codes, GGA and Pre-Hero Marvels. (Also computers, networking, gemstones, first editions, African art, movie posters, and electronics.)

Being an "old man" does not make one enfeebled. It makes one experienced.