• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never dismiss small show.

132 posts in this topic

Yesterday morning I went to a small comic show at a school cafeteria. I usually go to the mall shows and wherever they may appear. You can find some great things at them. At yesterday's I found as much as if I went to Emerald City or Jet City. I spent over $250.

Well, the reason I bring this up is because a friend of mine, who was selling there, told me that after I left an older gentleman walked in the door inquiring if it was the comic show that was advertised. The seller near the door, another friend of mine, answered yes and the gentleman asked if anybody here buys comics. The seller said yes and the gentleman said he has some comics to sell. He brought in two tubs and said he has 18 more. If he could sell these he would offer the other 18. He said he wanted $1.00 per book. The seller said that is too much and that there are sellers there that have books for 25 cents each. The gentleman was insistent that he wanted $1.00 each. The seller started looking through the tubs and found withing the first handful Hulk 180-182, ASM 121, 122, 129, and more. He closed his booth and followed the gentleman to where he has the other books.

The friend that told me this story had a box of around 50 comics in it that he traded for some sports cards. Now, this friend doesn't know a whole lot about current market of of older books and I am educating him. I looked through that box he got in trade and there was a small run of X-Factor that included #5, 6, and 24 They looked to be in NM condition. If I hadn't intervened he said he would have put them out for $2-3 each.

Around 5-6 years ago I bought from somebody's dollar books, who were all bagged/boarded and in alphabetical order, New Mutants 87 and 98.

People use these shows as dumping grounds for some great books. They aren't the same sellers you find at major shows. I have found better stuff at these types of shows than the major ones. I here there is another one in two weeks that I will have to go to.

Yesterday morning I went to a small comic show at a school cafeteria. I usually go to the mall shows and wherever they may appear. You can find some great things at them. At yesterday's I found as much as if I went to Emerald City or Jet City. I spent over $250.

Well, the reason I bring this up is because a friend of mine, who was selling there, told me that after I left an older gentleman walked in the door inquiring if it was the comic show that was advertised. The seller near the door, another friend of mine, answered yes and the gentleman asked if anybody here buys comics. The seller said yes and the gentleman said he has some comics to sell. He brought in two tubs and said he has 18 more. If he could sell these he would offer the other 18. He said he wanted $1.00 per book. The seller said that is too much and that there are sellers there that have books for 25 cents each. The gentleman was insistent that he wanted $1.00 each. The seller started looking through the tubs and found withing the first handful Hulk 180-182, ASM 121, 122, 129, and more. He closed his booth and followed the gentleman to where he has the other books.

The friend that told me this story had a box of around 50 comics in it that he traded for some sports cards. Now, this friend doesn't know a whole lot about current market of of older books and I am educating him. I looked through that box he got in trade and there was a small run of X-Factor that included #5, 6, and 24 They looked to be in NM condition. If I hadn't intervened he said he would have put them out for $2-3 each.

Around 5-6 years ago I bought from somebody's dollar books, who were all bagged/boarded and in alphabetical order, New Mutants 87 and 98.

People use these shows as dumping grounds for some great books. They aren't the same sellers you find at major shows. I have found better stuff at these types of shows than the major ones. I here there is another one in two weeks that I will have to go to.

I've had some great luck at smaller shows but the problem around here is you have to compete with the LCS who go in before the show starts a pull the good stuff for themselves.

Here is a link to the website of the show I bought at yesterday.

http://twinoaksshows.com/

He updates these and there are people with some comics that show up at even the sports card ones.

I used to set up at the one in the mall in Auburn and would do rather well.

My friend, who told me this story, sets up at all of them. The one who bought the books for $1.00 each sets up at these just to purchase and then takes all of the high dollar stuff to the major shows.

I love small shows better than the big ones these days.

Yup. Me too.

I hear you've got a cool little show in Buffalo,one day. :wishluck:

Wait...what about Buffalo??

The Buffalo shows are all small, but fun. You never know what books will be in the room.