• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyers who don't read descriptions

95 posts in this topic

Why let it go? confused.gif

FD had to use his time and energy to list the book, and now he has to relist the book and pay more fees, all because this loser refuses to follow the rules of the auction. He deserves a neg! mad.gif

Shipping has got to be the biggest pain-in-the-[!@#%^&^] about online auctions. One either charges too much, won't ship a certain way, or some other buyer quirk. I like the ones that say, "I just checked and shipping to Djibouti should only be $2.50...why do you charge $3.00?

Thankfully, 95% of buyers read auction terms and I don't have too many problems. The remaining 5% are born to be a problem.

My packages are heavier than the norm because I put all my books in a padded or firm envelope (sometimes both) then a box and THEN a final box to ensure no damage (and even that doesn't do it sometimes. frown.gifmad.gif ).

Some people just don't get it.

That's the point myself and others are getting at. EBay's feedback system is basically useless. Those who openly tell others to "lay down a Neg" are also the first to use the system to get out of their own Negatives. Those who openly scam are also quite adept at this game as well.

So at the end of the day, it really doesn't amount to anything. Go into the bathroom, close the door and yell. It has about the same effect.

Then there's the oposite that happens to me. I was recently charged $5.00 shipping and the jerk sent it in an manila envelop with two backing boards via media mail for $1.52. I've sent two friendly e-mails asking for a refund of $3.48. No response. He'll be getting a neutral from me. The book arrived as described (miracle), but I don't like getting ripped off on shipping.

My packages are heavier than the norm because I put all my books in a padded or firm envelope (sometimes both) then a box and THEN a final box to ensure no damage (and even that doesn't do it sometimes. ).

Tell me about it, the last package you sent me weighed more than my first car... grin.gif but this way I'm sure that even if it's used as shuffle-puck goal on that Ocean Line Steamer that they probably use to ship my books to me, it will arrive without any problems....

That's not the point. The point is a buyer is making his own rules and is disregarding the seller's policies.

Donut mails off a lot of packages per week and uses the supplies that the USPS provides for him. It would be hassle to make a special shipment for this loser which clearly is a selfish [!@#%^&^]. The USPS does not allow you to send a Priority box via media mail, so he would have to use a different box and remember to ship this single order via media mail. mad.gif Now that's the big deal.

[*]1 = you cannot track (as far as I know) media mail.

[*]2 = his policy is very explicit

[*]3 = if a bidder does not like the sellers terms then they should not bid.

[*]4 = books are easier and better packed in Priority boxes supplied by the U.S.P.O. .

[*]5 = jens...this is a serious breach of buyers ethics and is therefore a serious offense.

grin.gifwink.gif

My post office will not let me send comic books media mail frown.gif . If I'm honest and tell them what I'm shipping I am SOL. tongue.gif Also doesn't the post office reserve the right to rip into your package to verify that what you are shipping is a book? Does anyone know if this has actually happened to anyone? I wouldn't want to subject my cgc cases to the tender mercies of a postal inspector.

I've heard that several people on the forums have good luck shipping media mail - and it sure is less expensive. Has anyone ever received a definitive written ruling from a high level post office person that shipping comics media mail is ok?

On the other hand those priority mail boxes are free and just the right size for CGC cases. That's the way I ship. smile.gif

I just neutraled a guy who overcharged me. I contacted him after the auction and asked if he'd ship via media mail, and he refused and said by mailing it priority, the book would arrive in better shape. confused.gif

He charged me $10, and shipping with insurance ended up being $7.

I think that you can track any package, media or priority for $0.45, would have to double check though.

I hate shipping profiteers more than anything. I can understand a reasonable amount of time/energy and materials, but when you pay $5 and it comes media for $1.48 that's not right . . .

DAM

Try not to be too hard on the guy.

Consider:

1) He may have refused to ship media mail for good reason - his post office (like mine) won't let him.

2) The post office priority mail boxes are free, easy to get, just the right size, and can be packed quickly. A lot of books are VERY low margin so time spent packing is important. Saving 5 or 10 minutes per book on packing really adds up.

3) It is too complicated to explain shipping zones in an eBay auction. A lot of people (like me) will not bid on an auction that does not have fixed shipping charges specified. I try to set my own shipping rates so that I about break even on the furthest zones and I make about a buck on the closest zones (my time, misc. packing materials, and gasoline all cost something - shipping expenses are NOT limited to just the postage!) I've been going up and down a little bit on this and I think I've finally arrived at a fair shipping amount.

4) If you bid on an auction that specifies shipping charges, remember, you expressly agree to the seller's conditions when you bid on the auction. If you later neg or even neutral someone when you try to change the deal AFTER the auction is closed - that is just plain wrong. I think it is ok to make a polite request for media mail, but if the seller refuses that is their right. It is not right to neg or neutral them or even leave a so-so positive for expecting you to hold up your end of the deal.

Having said that, $10 is too high for shipping frown.gif . I wouldn't have bid on the auction in the first place unless it was a very expensive item and that was a reasonable amount including insurance. If I want to dicker with someone on shipping I do it BEFORE I place a bid.

(My latest revised shipping rates by the way: $5.95 for the first book, $2.00 for each additional, and $1.25 for insurance. I insure the first $50 through the post office and I accept the risk to cover any excess myself on any additional. Most of my shipments total out to $20 to $75 so this works well for me. So far I have not had a single lost package - knock on wood!)