• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase spam

24 posts in this topic

Anybody else tired of getting spam from Showcase about his upcoming auctions can report it here...

Why report it? It's an advertisement for their upcoming auctions -- not an email trying to steal your identity? All you need to do is contact them and they will take you off their list! Don't you think you are being a bit cruel by reporting them to authorities? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why report it?

Because it's against Ebay policy to send spam.

It's an advertisement for their upcoming auctions -- not an email trying to steal your identity? All you need to do is contact them and they will take you off their list!

I have, now and in the past... but still get the emails.

Don't you think you are being a bit cruel by reporting them to authorities? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No.

Have a nice day, Dan.... and tighten up your grading, it sucks.

Is it opt-in or opt-out? Do they follow through on unsubscribe requests?

If it's opt-out I can't say I'd blame anyone for going straight to reporting them. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's an eBay seller who AUTOMATICALLY signs me up for their mailing list just for buying a three dollar trade.

I get the spam, but then I delete it in approximately 2 whole seconds. There are more important things in life to be concerned about.

'Sides, he has stuff that is sometimes worth bidding on.

I get so much spam for Lev1tra, V1oxxx, enlargers, debt reduction, CBS Marketwatch, etc., that I am actually happy when I get comic-related spam. cloud9.gif

I get the spam, but then I delete it in approximately 2 whole seconds. There are more important things in life to be concerned about.

'Sides, he has stuff that is sometimes worth bidding on.

I get so much spam for Lev1tra, V1oxxx, enlargers, debt reduction, CBS Marketwatch, etc., that I am actually happy when I get comic-related spam. cloud9.gif

So basically they are trying to Make yor heart stronger so your "SLAB" can get bigger and harder while you read about your comic stocks without going in debt.

i guess this is a good place to share my experiences with Showcase New England, i would not buy from them ever again. i have dealt with them 3 times, on multiple lots on ebay...(each time the comics were overgraded, 1 time they mixed up the order (no prob), and the final time some of the comics had color touch, and not minor, they clearly do not carefully go over the comics, leading to the overgrading).

their grading in my opinion does indeed SUCK as another has posted, but that is expected. if they say a lot of ten comics is VF 8.0 average, you will find that one might be VF+ 8.5, 2-4 may be VF 8.0, and 6-8 will be in the 6.5 to 7.5 range. but that is expected, they do not grade accurately with so many books. their feedback does not reflect this, i myself won't give a negative b/c they were 'ok' prices and they offer a refund etc. i guess others notice this and just don't bid too much...and some may be novices regarding grading...

but here is the worst...Warning!!! Showcase sells restored comics!!!

in my last transaction, 3 out of 20 comics were restored, major color touch...i emailed Showcase and did not get a response...the price i paid was under guide, so i left it alone. and of course the average grade was indeed lower than they described...

i still have not left feedback, but likely will...do i have to ask "America's Number One Comic Dealer'' if the comics they are selling are restored each time i want to bid? also, should i ask them to take a closer look at grading the comics before i bid?

i can't be bothered, so i don't look at their auctions any longer...

but here is the worst...Warning!!! Showcase sells restored comics!!!

in my last transaction, 3 out of 20 comics were restored, major color touch...i emailed Showcase and did not get a response...the price i paid was under guide, so i left it alone. and of course the average grade was indeed lower than they described...

i still have not left feedback, but likely will...do i have to ask "America's Number One Comic Dealer'' if the comics they are selling are restored each time i want to bid? also, should i ask them to take a closer look at grading the comics before i bid?

i can't be bothered, so i don't look at their auctions any longer...

You should demand a refund, they are usually good about that. Give them a call, because they're not always so good about responding to emails. And if they don't do these things, then neg them and explain why. If you just suffer in silence, then other unsuspecting buyers will get hit with the same thing.

I have bought several lots from Showcase as well. I must admit I have been a happy customer. I typically agree with the grading of the books, they are never off more than a .5 in my experience, and for Ebay that is pretty good. They also list a "perfect" amount of books. They never list 20,000 items and make it impossible to browse their wares ( like Neatstuff ), and they also generally have something I am looking for.

I will have to agree tho that in the auctions I have bought, there has always been at least one comic that I was unhappy with.

Tales to Astonish 70-79 avg 5.0-7.0

I get them and get one that is a solid 8.0 ( wow Thanks Showcase!!), the rest solid 5- 6.0 -7.0 and one with a price sticker partially ripped off leaving a hole the size of a nickle right in the middle of the front cover. No offense, I dont care if the book is mint otherwise a hole that size becomes at best a good and that is being generous. It really is ugly, too bad that the rest of the book is a solid 7.0 had it not had the big hole and ripped portion of the front cover.

My only other beef with them is Shipping. They package real well, ensuring the books wont be damaged in transit, but they use those smallish shipping boxes to send shipments. They fit at most 42 bagged and boarded comics and if you buy a lot of 200 you are getting 5 boxes. Not a big deal if you are in the USA, but I am from Canada, and that is 5 chances Customs are going to inspect the package and demand their "cut" or even worse, they can disagree with the declared value and force you to prove value to pay "proper" customs fees. My last auction from Showcase came in 4 boxes over a 3 week period even tho it was all one lot.

They may do that to keep your shipping fees down to a smaller amount tho due to weight.

For small amounts of comics I think Showcase is first rate as a seller and highly recommend them. They are not that bad for larger lots either in the end. I am certain I could have returned the one Tales to astonish lot, but i wasnt totally unhappy with the whole lot just the one issue and didnt mind the price I paid, and got a reader out of the deal.

Artboy99

i can't disagree with you...

i will leave feedback, i don't know about a

neg though. i do know it should not be positive, however.

i could have called or emailed them until i got a response. also, i have

found that Showcase's grading may just be the norm and

i am too strict, as i compare to cgc grading (well, i try). 893blahblah.gif

by the norm, i mean many

dealers, ebay retailers/dealers, mile high, metropolis etc. etc. etc. Christo_pull_hair.gif

The one time I dealt with Showcase was at a Philly show a few years back, and I made a very fair trade with Dan. He was also very nice and seemed to enjoy talking comic books.

I personally wont leave a negative or even a neutral until I have given the person I am dealing with an adequate chance to make right on the transaction. What is "adequate"? That depends on you and your patience.

In your case try to contact them, give them the benefit of the doubt. Calling and emailing should be enough, and dont expect a reply within 24 hours, as not everyone checks messages everyday, even a business can have "out of the office" moments.

I hope it all works out for you.

By the way, as we speak I am carefully going over ALL the books I have bought from Showcase looking for any color touch, trimming, cleaning, etc. Anything I can determine is restoration.

Artboy99

*edit: Found one Tales to Astonish has been trimmed.

i'm glad others have had good experiences, this is also

reflected in their feedback. i will be certain to make buyers aware in the

feedback i leave that they should look closely for color touching on their purchases, etc.

i will leave feedback, i don't know about a

neg though. i do know it should not be positive, however.

Be careful, it's been reported on these boards that if you leave any feedback for SNE other than positive (i.e., neutral or negative), they will neg you.