• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this chipping ?

14 posts in this topic

I have this X-Men #113 that I bought as a mint book. I didn't expect it to be mint, but I was hoping it might be near mint (plus I was curious about their books - thought I would buy one and if it was nice maybe buy more), and the colors looked great. It has this strange (chipping,ripping,tearing) at the top edge which is very disappointing. It doesn't seem like a person tore it - the chipping or whatever is flaky.

113top.jpg

Well . . . It's definitely "chipping" and it's on a Marvel book, but it's not "Marvel chipping" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifSeriously folks. Why is this not MArvel chipping?

Well . . . It's definitely "chipping" and it's on a Marvel book, but it's not "Marvel chipping" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

Marvel chipping is a result of Timely/Atlas/Marvel using cheap paper in the 50s and 60s. The paper was so flimsy that it often became torn/chipped when coming off the blade at the bindery.

This X-Men #113, on the other hand, was printed on better paper. The tears look to be almost certainly production related, but because the chipping isn't the result of the cheap paper Marvel used to use back in the 50s and 60s, it isn't technically what is referred to as "Marvel chipping." I would call them "bindery tears" -- which is really all that Marvel chipping is, except that the term Marvel chipping is usually limited to books from a certain timeframe and chipping relating to a specific cause (cheap paper).

What is "Marvel Chipping" ? (I guess this just got answered by post above.)

And if this didn't happen in manufacturing how did it happen ?

And do manufacturing defects get a qualifier on a blue label by CGC or is there a different label ?

Thanks ahead of time.

MArvel chipping results in the tearing or chipping of the top/bottom/right edge of a book because of the difference in size between the interior pages of silver age marvels and the size of the cover. This appears to be more of a production issue or misshandling of the comic itself.

Marvel chipping is a result of Timely/Atlas/Marvel using cheap paper in the 50s and 60s. The paper was so flimsy that it often became torn/chipped when coming off the blade at the bindery.

This X-Men #113, on the other hand, was printed on better paper. The tears look to be almost certainly production related, but because the chipping isn't the result of the cheap paper Marvel used to use back in the 50s and 60s, it isn't technically what is referred to as "Marvel chipping." I would call them "bindery tears" -- which is really all that Marvel chipping is, except that the term Marvel chipping is usually limited to books from a certain timeframe and chipping relating to a specific cause (cheap paper).

Merci beaucoup! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well for what it's worth I bought this book from Kermit's Pad. I sent them an e-mail today, and even though I missed their return deadline by a longshot. They are giving me a full refund + shipping. Fella named Joe.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I am relieved and happy that there are still some respectable dealers out there.

MArvel chipping results in the tearing or chipping of the top/bottom/right edge of a book because of the difference in size between the interior pages of silver age marvels and the size of the cover. This appears to be more of a production issue or misshandling of the comic itself.

Arex,

It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the cover relative to the size of the interior. Many a book has pages sticking out past the right edge, but has Marvel chipping along that edge.

Some of the chipping you see along the top edge of certain books is the result of "Marvel chipping" where the chips (or pre-chip tears) happened when the book was cut, but some of it is from small tears that develop on the overhang after printing. When these tears turn into chips later, they are still considered "chips" but are not really what is traditionally considered "Marvel chipping" (although many dealers and collectors use that term interchangeably to refer to both kinds).

Arex,

It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the cover relative to the size of the interior. Many a book has pages sticking out past the right edge, but has Marvel chipping along that edge.

Some of the chipping you see along the top edge of certain books is the result of "Marvel chipping" where the chips (or pre-chip tears) happened when the book was cut, but some of it is from small tears that develop on the overhang after printing. When these tears turn into chips later, they are still considered "chips" but are not really what is traditionally considered "Marvel chipping" (although many dealers and collectors use that term interchangeably to refer to both kinds).

headbang.gif

I concur. sumo.gif Was not marvel chipping the product of dull cutting equipment that would tear the paper, rather than cut it most of the time? Why would we not use the term on a modern book, if the end result is the same? Just because it is not 1968, does not mean the flaw is not the same. It only came to be called Marvel chipping because these "bindery tears" were so common on Marvel books, but DC's still had them at times to my knowledge (not a big DC collector), though not as often. It came to be accepted on Marvels as normal and even built up the Legend.

Arex,

headbang.gif

I concur. sumo.gif Was not marvel chipping the product of dull cutting equipment that would tear the paper, rather than cut it most of the time? Why would we not use the term on a modern book, if the end result is the same? Just because it is not 1968, does not mean the flaw is not the same. It only came to be called Marvel chipping because these "bindery tears" were so common on Marvel books, but DC's still had them at times to my knowledge (not a big DC collector), though not as often. It came to be accepted on Marvels as normal and even built up the Legend.

Dulled cutting blades had something to do with it, but I believe that the paper quality was the primary culprit. DiceX can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marvel and DC print all their comics at the same printing plants during that era? If they did, as I believe to be the case, the only way to explain the prevalence of Marvel chipping on Marvels is by blaming the paper quality.