• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.......comic books and the ad man....

9 posts in this topic

.......tv is a major influence on our lives, and much of what we buy and consume is presented to us on tv, through advertising etc...............comics get little or no representation on tv...............

.....should comics publishers raise the bar to continue to compete with other entertainment medium's?..............the current trend for comic related movies is helping.......lets see what marvel, dc et all can do next..............advertising???

...is it time to call in the ad man??

"We need more comic characters adapted into PS2 game format. "

...but doing that won't neccessarily get them to read the comics................it is the FORMAT that needs to be promoted, not the characters...............

"Unfortunately, comic bks look pretty staid after an interactive game."

........reading is still a usefull skill isn't it?

..........i'm sure most kids parent's would prefer to see them reading a comic book, than stuck to a computer screen 24-7.......maybe that's the angle......'COMICS ARE THE HEALTHY OPTION'.............. grin.gif

I agree - I had some comments awhile ago that i bet over the next few decades, most paper related items will phased out due to loss of supply of timber and increased pulp prices and continuing tech advances. I am an attorney that only practices in federal crt and next year my district( middle dist. fla.) is making initial steps towards becoming a paperless system! If you would have said that 10 years ago, you would have been considered insane. Petitions and pleadings and notices will all be done with discs and over the net -will save tons in paper and mail costs. I bought a Spidey playstation game for my 4 year old and it is awesome! Comics' main purpose for the young reader is to entertain and take you into another world - you get reading skills as an added free bonus! But sitting down to read a comic is like something grandma did is what kids these days think -they have all grown up with computers. I believe that comics better start evolving or they may become the next DoDo. I think the smart creative folks ought to figure out how to market a monthly dvd or cd type thing with a continuig story. I just don't think with comic prices and all the new drains on the allowance and attention span of 7 to 18 year olds that comics can compete the way they used to. i used to buy every Marvel comic every month when I was 8 and I think i spent under $8 per month back in 1973. To be a marvel zombie now, you would have to spend hundreds so i think it is harder to hook true believers these days!

I am an attorney that only practices in federal crt and next year my district( middle dist. fla.) is making initial steps towards becoming a paperless system!

Yep, my practice is phasing into a paperless office. All patient records will be electronic. On the bright side, I can't see paper items totally vanishing. I still love a good novel, so I can't see society going paperless as a whole.

I bought a Spidey playstation game for my 4 year old

My 5 yr old loves his Gamecube, but he loves the comics I give him as well - so there's hope yet.

The solution may lie with libraries and schools. And... it wouldn't hurt if AOL-Time Warner spent a little promotionally.

A commercial for comics? I don't know. The reason I say this is because I can't think of another publication that advertises on TV. I do remember a few Newspaper commercials over the years. And there been some commercials for Steven King books. And the Inquirerer. But I don't remember seeing any other. Has any magazine ever had a commercial on television? It would be cool to see some kind of commercial about comics. Maybe it will happen someday.

"Don't touch that dial!" Is that a phrase that has been fazed out due to remotes.

"The reason I say this is because I can't think of another publication that advertises on TV"

...plenty of lifestyle and womens magazines have had ads on tv......newspapers are not really so much of a visual medium so tv ads wouldn't do much for them.....

......comics of course are a very visual medium, that is their big strength over other forms of literature that i'm sure could be exploited on tv........... cool.gif