• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

some questions...

24 posts in this topic

That's what I'm talking about, 8K for an AF#15 that would have been a 9.2 before resto - what was the comiclink price? PLOD is the kiss of death for SA & BA - It seems that what would still be pretty high grade copies of books that have the slightest color touch are suddenly only worth what a mid-grade copy might sell for. This is probably more a reflection of the just plain nutty prices that unrestored 9.4 and up Bronze and Silver can achieve, than a devaluation of books with minor color touch - which probably still sell for more than a raw copy in the same condition would have a few short years ago. Super HG GA has gotten pretty pricey but as a comparison - asking 16K for a 9.6 Detective #120 doesn't sound nearly as wacky as asking 10K for a 9.9 Tomb of Dracula #10. Of course when compared to some of the prices some slabbed 9.9/10.0 copper/modern books go for, there seems to be an increased ratio of the prices paid for top census copies vs. average condition, the higher that average grade is - which seems backwards to me, but what do I know.

It sold on ComicLink in less than an hour at the Buy price of $16,000. It had three Buy orders in the first three hours. One from Hammer, one from me, and one from someone else. I think that if Hammer listed it for sale now, he'd probably get $20-25K for it.

I agree that PLOD has been the kiss of death for BA, but on SA I think that is gradually changing and will continue to improve. Personally, I think it's caused by fear. Lots of people don't really understand restoration and so they shun it. As people become more educated about it, I think we'll see less avoidance of PLODs, especially the ones with Slight (P) work done to them.

That's what I'm talking about, 8K for an AF#15 that would have been a 9.2 before resto - what was the comiclink price? PLOD is the kiss of death for SA & BA - It seems that what would still be pretty high grade copies of books that have the slightest color touch are suddenly only worth what a mid-grade copy might sell for. This is probably more a reflection of the just plain nutty prices that unrestored 9.4 and up Bronze and Silver can achieve, than a devaluation of books with minor color touch - which probably still sell for more than a raw copy in the same condition would have a few short years ago. Super HG GA has gotten pretty pricey but as a comparison - asking 16K for a 9.6 Detective #120 doesn't sound nearly as wacky as asking 10K for a 9.9 Tomb of Dracula #10. Of course when compared to some of the prices some slabbed 9.9/10.0 copper/modern books go for, there seems to be an increased ratio of the prices paid for top census copies vs. average condition, the higher that average grade is - which seems backwards to me, but what do I know.