• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Condition of Comics that Come with Toys??
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Greetings.

I'm considering buying a toy because I want the comic that comes packaged with it. What condition is the comic usually in? Assuming I open it carefully and the 'eyeball' inspection pre-opening looks to be Near Mint or better, what are my 9.8 chances?

*Note that I'm talking about toys from the 90's and early 2000's

I have no experience with this, and would any sharing of experiences you've had.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Revat

I picked up some Marvel Legends just for the comics & they were in pretty high grade shape.

I mean, if they're bound on the cardboard card with the toy, and the card is in good shape, you've got a pretty good chance that the book is in good shape too.

thanks yes

they are not rolled. they are in flat in the packaging. One of them I'm looking at is Marvel Legends

So long as the packaging looks good, the comic should be good.

I bought a thai version of Hellboy II in a limited edition packaging because it contained a rare ashcan cover. (The comic was still the English version). It was near mint because the package was still sealed and made it here from the other side of the globe without getting crushed.

-Terry

With Marvel Legends I believe that it depends on the figure. Consider this:

Figures are not packaged or mass released with the intent of preserving them on the card. The figures are packaged in a manner that secures the item to a card so it can hang from a shelf and present the figure. The figure is also packaged a certain way so that it may comfortable fit into a box with the other figures for shipment.

Some of the figures have a lot of space in the blister for the aforementioned reasons and others. This allows the comic to be a little more loose within the blister. After that, there are factors such as how the item was stored and gravity as the comic is standing on end for the initial part of its shelf life.

Also, the Marvel Legends, IIRC, had that tough plastic to get through but it was still a plastic that was prone to warping. The comic lines the back so those books were still prone to spine tics even in the package.

For modern examples see the recent Transformers 30th Anniversary collection released last year. Those comics were all sorts of wavy in the packages.

I recently completed a hunt for ASM #437 comic with Spider-Man Classics figure in as mint as I could find both to the condition of the comic and the condition of the packaging. I have a raw copy I found in a Chicago comic shop as well that's about 9.4.

In every raw copy I looked at they all seemed to have the same defect. About 1/3 of the way down the spine from the top they all had a bend or crease below the top staple right where the hard plastic packaging for the figure meets the backboard or comic. That is where you have to focus. In many cases, as the packaging was handled and eventually opened, that part of the backboard likely got bent forward caused a bend or crease to the comic. I've seen plenty of unopened copies that have damage in that area as well so it's the area I looked at first when determining whether to buy or bid. The corners and edges are key as well. I'd recommend onsite inspection but if you can't just ask for as many photos as you'd be satisfied with.

I happened to find mine on ebay. A few sellers were selling the same thing and I hit them all up for lots of photos at different angles all around the spine and corners of the book as best as they could provide. I was a real PITA about it but it's not like these things move very quickly so 3 of the sellers were happy to oblige. 1 showed the damage and the other 2 looked clean but the packaging on one looked somewhat damaged. I chose the one with the mintier looking packaging and hit BIN. Before I paid I messaged the seller take extra care in packaging the item to prevent any possible damage to the comic including padding that would prevent the top 1/3 of the package from bending forward or backward. I mentioned I'd be willing to pay extra for packaging if necessary but it wasn't and they did a great job. The comic and packaging are in pristine condition. I'd say the comic is about a 9.6 just because I'd have to open the packaging to verify for sure but I see no damage with my loop and flashlight. The package is mint.

Storing is another matter. better on display rather than in a long or short box.

I should add that you should be very very very careful when opening the package if you're intent is to remove and have the comic graded. Part of me hates to see the packaging sacrificed for the comic but it's yours so go for it.

To extract the comic safely, prepare for surgery.

Place it on a sturdy firm work surface like a workbench or cutting board. Examine the packaging and areas in contact with the comic. Carefully cut around the edges with a razor blade or x-acto knife and I would focus on the spine side. I might use a flat ruler as a guide along the cutting edge so as not to accidentally cut onto the comic. Scissors or a guillotine blade might force a bend in the packaging and damage the comic. If you can cut all 4 edges without damaging the comic and just lift the packaging up off the comic cleanly, go for it. Otherwise, (packaging and figure be damned) plan a method of removing the comic by freeing the spine side. If possible, insert some backboards behind and in front of the comic before you slide it out to prevent any sharp plastic jagged edges from scratching or snagging the comic. Good luck!

I should add that you should be very very very careful when opening the package if you're intent is to remove and have the comic graded. Part of me hates to see the packaging sacrificed for the comic but it's yours so go for it.

To extract the comic safely, prepare for surgery.

Place it on a sturdy firm work surface like a workbench or cutting board. Examine the packaging and areas in contact with the comic. Carefully cut around the edges with a razor blade or x-acto knife and I would focus on the spine side. I might use a flat ruler as a guide along the cutting edge so as not to accidentally cut onto the comic. Scissors or a guillotine blade might force a bend in the packaging and damage the comic. If you can cut all 4 edges without damaging the comic and just lift the packaging up off the comic cleanly, go for it. Otherwise, (packaging and figure be damned) plan a method of removing the comic by freeing the spine side. If possible, insert some backboards behind and in front of the comic before you slide it out to prevent any sharp plastic jagged edges from scratching or snagging the comic. Good luck!

this sounds awful, I appreciate the tips!

ok on an related note, I've got some offers in to buy a toy or two on the 'bay, But if you want to sell me some 9.8 raws, you can check my sig to see which ones I'm looking for. I think I'm paying ok money. Check it.

I bought and sold the Marvel Legends line from 2005-2007 and it was very rare to find a pristine comic packaged with any of those action figures.

did you find that the defects were generally pressable? what were average grades (if you know) of books that you pulled out (that looked pretty good in the packaging)?

thanks.

I bought and sold the Marvel Legends line from 2005-2007 and it was very rare to find a pristine comic packaged with any of those action figures.

did you find that the defects were generally pressable? what were average grades (if you know) of books that you pulled out (that looked pretty good in the packaging)?

thanks.

I remember lots of spine tickets and color breaking creases. Some copies might have been pressable, if they made it safely from shipping to the consumer. The packages needed to be gently handled through shipping, stocking, being put on and pulled off racks (probably multiple times, I had to dig behind so many Bullseyes), and finally opened with care. That higher density plastic many of those toys came in had the potential to damage the comic while opening, not to mention that the comic bags were securely taped to the blister card.

I suppose many 8.0-9.0 candidates, I don't think I remember anything higher than a 9.2. The comic's condition inside the sealed toy wasn't really on the list of things to look for, the toys were so hot that some even sold for more than retail out of the package (without the comic). I remember Colossus being very popular, as well as the X-Men & Spider-Man sets.

Back then I didn't think anyone would be interested in those books, so most ended up in the bargain bins (classic). I think I have 1 or 2 left (AF15 and IH1 if I recall).

I tried this once, and the results weren't too good. Pressing would do little good when you consider the awful color rub.

Here is an unopened toy from the 90s. You'll notice that the comic wasn't packaged too carefully inside of the box. The results weren't surprising. :(

Box1_zpscbaea251.jpgBox3_zpscf41ceea.jpgComic3_zps453d5296.jpgComic1_zpsf631ab9c.jpg

I love these too comics with toys too, i have seen one in particular go for over 500 in a 9.8 graded slab.

Please tell me what are the highest priced comics with toys that you know of... anyone?

The one I mentioned above is... drumroll

Reprint of ASM #129 included with The Punisher Figure, due to it's short run and hard to find 9.8 condition it sold close to 600 last one I saw on ebay.

I cannot find a copy for sale on ebay as of today 12.9.2020, the picture below is the 2nd run of these and next to worthless. The first run has 20 cents in the price box while these 2nd run copies are blank in the same place.

Happy hunting! The rarity and scarcity of these make them well worth buying!

punisher 2nd copy.jpg

Not totally on topic but I recently bought one of those "lithographs + comic book" bundles from Dark Horse Direct, and they mailed it in one big mailer that housed the lithograph okay but the comic was just loose inside flopping around on top.  Needless to say every corner of the comic was fairly badly blunted. 

Edited by Poekaymon

2 hours ago, ThaoComics said:

I love these too comics with toys too, i have seen one in particular go for over 500 in a 9.8 graded slab.

Please tell me what are the highest priced comics with toys that you know of... anyone?

20201209_230840.jpg.3a64848843d307c48b06954a546b5afa.jpg