• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest grade received or seen with water damage?

26 posts in this topic

I'm curious to see the highest graded copies out there that you've seen with water damage. Any size: quarter to pane/panels is fine. I am hoping to evaluate books more professionally when buying , selling, and of course determining whether or not I should submit to CGC on certain raw books. Let's see those pics! :thumbsup:

-Mike

I'm interested in the outliers most of all. I know that CGCs standpoint on certain defects defers from the OSPG which is why I created this post. I'd like to see room for potential in books that would otherwise receive your OSPG evaluation.

I don't believe I've ever sent a book (with water damage) in to be graded. Even major keys (e.g. Hulk #1) I've just gone ahead and sold raw, so I can't personally be of any help. Good question, though. hm

I had a beautiful Iron Man #55 that was a slam dunk 9.8, except it had about a quarter sized moisture damage circle. Sent it into CGC to see what they'd do, and they graded it a 7.0.

I remember that book.

I had a beautiful Iron Man #55 that was a slam dunk 9.8, except it had about a quarter sized moisture damage circle. Sent it into CGC to see what they'd do, and they graded it a 7.0.

I remember that book.

I sent you the same exact book and concept with the same exact grade lol I think the book i had at least 2 water spots

In general, I'd say 3.5 - it's often the defect which drops a book out of VG. :)

Wrong

Stains on the back cover go through half the book

Scan349_zpsedc12209.jpeg

Scan%20396_zps9ltlibie.jpeg

so in theory, if those watermarks bled through only the back cover, we're looking at.....4.5/5.0/5.5?