• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highest grade received or seen with water damage?

26 posts in this topic

No, not how it works. It's the severity of the staining, not the depth (although that is often corresponding). These are 3"+ tidelines - no way that book grades higher.

I've got an ASM #2 that looks like about a 5.5, but it has a very light, unobtrusive nickel-quarter sized stain close to the ULHCBC edge.

CGC gave it a 4.5 OWW. I figure they downgraded it @1.0. Fair enough from my perspective.

Just got an XM 101 back I figured to be about a 7.5-8.0 and it came back as 6.0 because of a water stain in the lower spine side corner. The stain was a small triangle that extended up the spin about 3/4" and along the bottom edge about 3/4" as well. Pretty sizable drop IMO for a small stain. But it is what it is.

Just got an XM 101 back I figured to be about a 7.5-8.0 and it came back as 6.0 because of a water stain in the lower spine side corner. The stain was a small triangle that extended up the spin about 3/4" and along the bottom edge about 3/4" as well. Pretty sizable drop IMO for a small stain. But it is what it is.

In CGC's eyes, and the eyes of many collectors a 3/4" stain is not a small stain. If you are going to submit books everyone needs to keep in mind even small discolorations get dinged from CGC.