• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got My Heritage Auction Today!

22 posts in this topic

It finally came. Definitely some interesting stuff, but most of what I am interested in is from the "Northern Lights Collection". My guess is the reserve will be pretty high. Also looks like a lot of nice artwork.

Does the misprinted Captain America 1 excite anyone?

I think it is definitely ugly!

Got mine a few days ago, but was bidding last week. grin.gif

The problem I see with the Northern Lights Collection is from what I can tell, these were all bought already CGC'd.

Therefore, the seller put a huge collection together in just the past few years, and now wants to sell it all (or at least it seems like it all). Unless they are prepared to take some loses, the reserves have to be high.

Just got my catalogue in the mail today also.

Don't know anything about this Northern Lights Collection, although I am just glad that CGC did not stick this name onto the labels of the books. No need for any more quasi-named collections from CGC.

If he did put the collection together within the last few years, I agree that the seller will be taking a loss if he really intends on selling the books so soon.

After I read your post, I went over to Heritage and checked out the 'TEC #33. The first thing about the book I noticed was how brown it looked. Brittle pages are usually a dealkiller for me, and I imagine most collectors.

Did you replace the book with a better copy? 'TEC 33 is one of my dream books.

Unfortunitely no... I decided to sell it because the pages were actually starting to flake. It was much worse once it was graded because a few tiny pieces of the pages were in the holder. That book has made me VERY nervous about a book with even cream pages. It also showed me how poor CGC grading was, especially on key books where they tend to be VERY lax in the grading. If you look closely at the scans of it, you can see how rounded the bottom corner is.

Scare thing is, resubmit and it may come back a 6.0 or 6.5!

A question for Batman/Detective collectors - I see that Detective #33 guides for more than #31 - I realize it has the two-page origin and all, but is it really more desirable than #31? I know given a choice which one I'd take.

A question for Batman/Detective collectors - I see that Detective #33 guides for more than #31 - I realize it has the two-page origin and all, but is it really more desirable than #31? I know given a choice which one I'd take.

It would be a tough call for me. The cover to 31 blows away everything else, and the story about the Monk is the epitome of Golden Age coolness. But 33 has a nice cover as well, and has a great splash panel, another cool story("The Dirigibles of Doom") and the first ever origin of the Batman. I'd have to toss a coin if I had to make a choice between the two.

Unfortunitely no... I decided to sell it because the pages were actually starting to flake.

That's a darn shame. Too bad the bidders on the Heritage auction aren't aware of this!

Too many people buy the label, not the book. Look at some of the Batman 8.0 and 8.5s on Heritage. I wouldn't buy several becasue I don't agree with the grading. Thank god Heritage does a good job with the scans, although I wish they still had the old system, not the pan thing

Thank god Heritage does a good job with the scans, although I wish they still had the old system, not the pan thing

You can turn that off at the top and then enlarge the picture the old way.

The Pan and Scan seems blurry to me.

It would be a tough call for me. The cover to 31 blows away everything else, and the story about the Monk is the epitome of Golden Age coolness. But 33 has a nice cover as well, and has a great splash panel, another cool story("The Dirigibles of Doom") and the first ever origin of the Batman. I'd have to toss a coin if I had to make a choice between the two.

Agree with both of you that #31 should be much closer in price to #33. Maybe it's more of a case that the #33 is overvalued in the guide as opposed to the #31 being undervalued in the guide. Especially when #31 is sitting at $45K top of guide with the #33 sitting 33% higher at $60K.

Given the choice between the #31 and the #33 and everything else being equal, I would most likely take the #31 due to the classic cover and also that it's a couple months earlier, over a two-page orgin story. Come to think of it, #29 has a much better cover than #33 and it's sitting at only the same price as #31.

Yeah, #33 is probably overvalued in the guide or is that because I am biased since I don't have a copy of it while I do have a copy of both isuues #29 and #31 in my collection. 27_laughing.gif

It finally came. Definitely some interesting stuff, but most of what I am interested in is from the "Northern Lights Collection". My guess is the reserve will be pretty high. Also looks like a lot of nice artwork.

Does the misprinted Captain America 1 excite anyone?

I think it is definitely ugly!

I think that Cap #1 is fugly too. Generally speaking, I don't think comicland gets as much of a woody over misprints and errors and such as the stampers or coinees do. I can't see that color misprint being anything but a detriment to the book in terms of price realized. It's just aethetically yucky.

I can see that Cap #1 printing error being of interest to a Timely collector who has everything else already - but I'm guessing it will sell for far less than guide. It would be more interesting if it were a different color missing - the lack of red just makes it look like it was left out in the sun too long.