• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction sold damaged books issue

32 posts in this topic

So I won an auction on HA. They described the books of having water damage but nothing else.

I received my books today and found out there are more than water damage to the books. All books have these black spots and horrible smell. Immediately I knew it was mildew and mold.

Since they did not described that or stated possible mold and mildew, what is there to do?

Has anybody had issues similar and was able to return?

Have you, um, called them?

The expectation is every retailer, is on the boards 24/7, 365

If they are not, then they don't get my business

Excellent policy.

I sent them an email. Will call tomorrow morning.

Just wanted to see other members who had some what of a similar issue and was able to return.

Now I'm reading up to see if I can get them clean. Looks like all of them need some pressing. Might be contacting Mike @ Hero Restoration to see if he can help if HA cannot resolve.

Have you, um, called them?

The expectation is every retailer, is on the boards 24/7, 365

If they are not, then they don't get my business

Excellent policy.

I guess an exclusive customer would be nice. :baiting:

Water+Paper+Time=Mold.

true

Just read this and very educational

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302784&fpart=2

The mold seems to be inside the books and on the back side while some have black spots on the spine and corners of some books.

Oh well, guess I will see tomorrow.

Read their terms and conditions and no where states returns on auctions :(

So I won an auction on HA. They described the books of having water damage but nothing else.

I received my books today and found out there are more than water damage to the books. All books have these black spots and horrible smell. Immediately I knew it was mildew and mold.

Since they did not described that or stated possible mold and mildew, what is there to do?

Has anybody had issues similar and was able to return?

I have had group lots that I have won that had problems that I didn't think were described on the listing. Both times I emailed them, described the problem, and asked what to do. The first time they issued me a partial refund, the second time they asked me to return the group - sending me a prepaid shipping label - and I got a full refund. Both times I was satisfied with the result.

Guess they were probably happy with the result, too - the group I sent back was relisted (this time with "Average G" rather than "Average G+" that I bought them with), and it actually sold for more than I had paid.

I think you might have missed it. From their Comics Auctions section:

COMICS, COMIC ART, & ANIMATION ART TERM B: Auctions conducted solely on the Internet have a THREE (3) DAY RETURN POLICY: Lots paid for within seven days of the Auction closing are sold with a three (3) day return privilege. You may return lots under the following conditions: Within three days of receipt of the lot, you must first notify Auctioneer by contacting Client Service by phone (877-HERITAGE (437-4824)) or e-mail (Bid@HA.com), and immediately mail the lot(s) fully insured to the attention of Returns, Heritage, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas TX 75219-3941. Lots must be housed intact in their original holder and condition. You are responsible for the insured, safe delivery of any lots. A non-negotiable return fee of 5% of the purchase price ($10 per lot minimum) will be deducted from the refund for each returned lot or billed directly. Postage and handling fees are not refunded. After the three-day period (from receipt), no items may be returned for any reason. Late remittance for purchases revokes all Return-Restock privileges.

I think you might have missed it. From their Comics Auctions section:

COMICS, COMIC ART, & ANIMATION ART TERM B: Auctions conducted solely on the Internet have a THREE (3) DAY RETURN POLICY: Lots paid for within seven days of the Auction closing are sold with a three (3) day return privilege. You may return lots under the following conditions: Within three days of receipt of the lot, you must first notify Auctioneer by contacting Client Service by phone (877-HERITAGE (437-4824)) or e-mail (Bid@HA.com), and immediately mail the lot(s) fully insured to the attention of Returns, Heritage, 3500 Maple Avenue, 17th Floor, Dallas TX 75219-3941. Lots must be housed intact in their original holder and condition. You are responsible for the insured, safe delivery of any lots. A non-negotiable return fee of 5% of the purchase price ($10 per lot minimum) will be deducted from the refund for each returned lot or billed directly. Postage and handling fees are not refunded. After the three-day period (from receipt), no items may be returned for any reason. Late remittance for purchases revokes all Return-Restock privileges.

I found that a few mins ago. I packaged everything up. Took pictures and going to send it out tomorrow.

"Mold" and "mildew" are terms that are used generally to describe growths of fungi on various surfaces. "Mildew" also is a scientific term that describes a type of plant disease. In common usage, the difference between mold and mildew usually is in their appearance and the surfaces on which they are growing. Mold is often thicker and black, green, red or blue in color, and mildew usually is lighter, powdery and gray or white. Both mold and mildew often grow in moist and warm locations, but mildew is more often found in showers, on paper and on fabrics, and mold is often found on foods and in walls and other permanent structures.

"Mold" and "mildew" are terms that are used generally to describe growths of fungi on various surfaces. "Mildew" also is a scientific term that describes a type of plant disease. In common usage, the difference between mold and mildew usually is in their appearance and the surfaces on which they are growing. Mold is often thicker and black, green, red or blue in color, and mildew usually is lighter, powdery and gray or white. Both mold and mildew often grow in moist and warm locations, but mildew is more often found in showers, on paper and on fabrics, and mold is often found on foods and in walls and other permanent structures.

Thank you, WiseGeek!

Water+Paper+Time=Mold.

This is a bit disingenuous. I've come across a ton of books that had water damage but no mold. Mold should be disclosed. Saying the books have water damage doesn't cut it.

On two different occasions I bought books that had what I consider undisclosed issues that should have either been disclosed or made more visible in the scans. I emailed one of the consignment guys, and they went out of their way to make it right, both times providing full refunds and apologies. I have been pleased with their customer service. Hopefully they will take care of you on it.

Water+Paper+Time=Mold.

This is a bit disingenuous. I've come across a ton of books that had water damage but no mold. Mold should be disclosed. Saying the books have water damage doesn't cut it.

I had a flood in my condo last September/October and so far my raws that were damaged has not grown mold or smell.