• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minorities should stop stealing white superheros!

107 posts in this topic

Suspending disbelief to enjoy a superhero flick? No problem

Using an actor of a different sex, ethnicity, height (horror upon horrors) to play the part of a superhero? :pullhair:

:baiting:

I never suspended "disbelief" (whatever that means) when reading Marvel stories as a kid: I just found them wonderful.

What they have been doing in the past 15 years is definitely not.

It's amazing how political correctness and appeasement have swept aside common sense in our way of thinking.

Cheers, Howard

PS. I did say our.

What common sense are you talking about? What "common sense" has been swept aside in the name of inclusion?

Think about it for awhile. That's all I'm going to say.

Cheers, Howard

We're talking super hero comic books here. Again, what common sense has been swept aside? Is it common sense that a white, fictional character has to stay white? It isn't common sense that a man can be cloned, have 6 arms, die, come back but be a different clone...Why would race or sex have some special place among this "common sense" you're talking about?

"I'm sure the young Jewish men who created Superman, Captain America, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Avengers etc would have loved to have had at least some of those characters as Jewish. But no, they had to 'pander' to the market at the time, which was mainly white christian"

Forgive me but I never saw any of these characters go to church on Sunday. I think a great job was done to create and write characters that could be anyone being anything. Granted they were mainly white but that reflects the time they were created and who created them. Chinese create movies with chinese characters so do Indians so do Blacks etc with their respective people. I don't whine about the lack of white people in those roles.

When I wrote christian, I meant culturally, not that they were attending church on every second page of the comic ;)

My point is Jewish superheroes wouldn't have been tolerated. But the creative teams working in comics were mainly young Jewish men who loved telling superhero stories. They couldn't write or draw characters that reflected themselves. The majority of superheroes that are still the most popular to this day were created in a time when diversity was not tolerated in society. Why does that legacy have to continue? Kids of all colours and religions should be able to see themselves reflected in the comics they read and the movies they watch.

But for some reason, that's always a step too far for some people. A black hispanic Spider-Man who inhabits a different universe to the old Spider-Man (who still very much exists) is called pandering. A new muslim Ms Marvel is decried as being PC, even though there's a vacany for the role of Ms Marvel. Thor can't be a woman, even though the character was once a frog etc.

Great post. :applause:

Don't forget Sabra...

Cameo Hulk #250

1st app Hulk #256

sabra_zpshn6vmvbr.jpg

I find the title of this thread both offensive and hilarious.

I also happen to agree. We've had a thread like this before when it was announced that black dude (forget his name?) was announced he'd be playing the new human torch.

As a tall dark and overly handsome man, I don't understand why hollywood feels the need to "diversify" characters. Because I'm sure there would be outrage if the black panther was a white dude, or if storm was asian. I've said it before, If you want to diversify the characters, then create new ones! it's really not that hard. I'm sure every member on here has at least two ideas for new heroes.

Besides, it's just weird seeing a character i grew up with just suddenly change color. It worked with nick fury, but it's a slippery slope in my opinion. Plus, imagine the confusion for someone new to comics because of their interest in the movies. trying to understand why the character they now love is a different color or background than what they first were exposed to in the movies. rantrant

maybe it's just me, but if you're going to change something, change the costume. make that stand out as the "movie" version. or don't. I loved the Supersoldier uniform cap wore in winter soldier... then he put on that dumb WW2 uniform again... why? :pullhair:

Suspending disbelief to enjoy a superhero flick? No problem

Using an actor of a different sex, ethnicity, height (horror upon horrors) to play the part of a superhero? :pullhair:

:baiting:

I never suspended "disbelief" (whatever that means) when reading Marvel stories as a kid: I just found them wonderful.

What they have been doing in the past 15 years is definitely not.

Although their movies have been hitting it out of the park.

Suspension of disbelief Wiki

I was poking fun at our ability to accept all sorts of implausabilities/fantasies, yet the appearances of our fictional superheroes are sacred.