• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minorities should stop stealing white superheros!

107 posts in this topic

It's not just a point in time... It's the character in general... Take Aquaman, he looks more the part of the 90s Aquaman to me... Michael Clark Duncan is less of a stretch as he's bald, imposing and its a lesser known character, but still not my vision of Kingpin.

Totally understand, though I was okay with him in the role. If only the -script had been so much better in that movie.

kODofCG.jpg

What a massive individual, though. When you can make Dwayne Johnson look 'fit' while you are more 'bulk' next to him, that is huge.

I like this post. It says basically what I feel about the issue.

I will take any actor who can "act" over an actor who cannot but gets the role because they are the correct color of skin.

Samuel Jackson as Fury is quite possibly the best thing they could have ever changed in the Marvel Universe. Nick Fury is supposed to be a machiavellian BMF. You know who they got to play the role for the big film? The guy that has built a career around being perceived as a BMF. I had zero interest in the character until the Ultimate Universe made that change.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine? Hate it all you want. The guy IS Wolverine. He doesn't seem to be just in it to get a paycheck. He actually enjoys the character, wants to see what the fans see and I cannot think of one appearance where it looks like he phoned it in. People want to bash X-Men origins? Blame the -script, because Jackman brought his A-Game and Schreiber was surprisingly good as Sabertooth. I liked the look of Sabertooth more in "Origins" than the 1st X-Men movie.

As far as Idris Elba as Bond? If it comes to be, so be it. I will go watch it since I enjoy watching Bond movies. They made a bold choice when they rebooted the entire franchise with Daniel Craig and I remember when people went psycho with that. Throw the keys to the Astin Martin to Elba. If it works then it will be amazing. If it doesn't then they pay out his contract and make a new movie with another actor.

What I hate is when Hollywood panders to an audience. Don't throw in diversity because you want to jump on a soapbox and say "Look at us, we cast minorities." Cast actors who have the chops to go toe to toe and 'become' the character. Use the prior example of Jackson as Fury. When I watch the Avengers, I do NOT think, "That is the African American version of Nick Fury". I am thinking, "That is Nick Fury."

In all fairness because a person is black should not restrict them from playing a super hero that is typically portrayed as white. Movies change things around in a story. The medium shifts and so to does the plot. What I do not like is that I feel Hollywood is being self serving on the issue. Its not that they fairly gave the black person the role because they were better but its like Hollywood is trying to get extra credit for putting an African American in place of the white person.

I say let the best person fill the role.

I like this post. It says basically what I feel about the issue.

I will take any actor who can "act" over an actor who cannot but gets the role because they are the correct color of skin.

Samuel Jackson as Fury is quite possibly the best thing they could have ever changed in the Marvel Universe. Nick Fury is supposed to be a machiavellian BMF. You know who they got to play the role for the big film? The guy that has built a career around being perceived as a BMF. I had zero interest in the character until the Ultimate Universe made that change.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine? Hate it all you want. The guy IS Wolverine. He doesn't seem to be just in it to get a paycheck. He actually enjoys the character, wants to see what the fans see and I cannot think of one appearance where it looks like he phoned it in. People want to bash X-Men origins? Blame the -script, because Jackman brought his A-Game and Schreiber was surprisingly good as Sabertooth. I liked the look of Sabertooth more in "Origins" than the 1st X-Men movie.

As far as Idris Elba as Bond? If it comes to be, so be it. I will go watch it since I enjoy watching Bond movies. They made a bold choice when they rebooted the entire franchise with Daniel Craig and I remember when people went psycho with that. Throw the keys to the Astin Martin to Elba. If it works then it will be amazing. If it doesn't then they pay out his contract and make a new movie with another actor.

What I hate is when Hollywood panders to an audience. Don't throw in diversity because you want to jump on a soapbox and say "Look at us, we cast minorities." Cast actors who have the chops to go toe to toe and 'become' the character. Use the prior example of Jackson as Fury. When I watch the Avengers, I do NOT think, "That is the African American version of Nick Fury". I am thinking, "That is Nick Fury."

In all fairness because a person is black should not restrict them from playing a super hero that is typically portrayed as white. Movies change things around in a story. The medium shifts and so to does the plot. What I do not like is that I feel Hollywood is being self serving on the issue. Its not that they fairly gave the black person the role because they were better but its like Hollywood is trying to get extra credit for putting an African American in place of the white person.

I say let the best person fill the role.

Exactly, but Michelle Rodriguez argument is she would prefer to see characters of another race have their own mythologies built around them.

She is upset with them trying to turn a girl character into a guy, or a white character into a black character or Latin character. She wants them to stop being lazy and make an effort in Hollywood to come up with their own mythology.

With that being said I wonder what minorities thoughts are on this?

Any minority board members want to chime in about Michelle Rodriguez comments?

Do you appreciate them taking old used white characters, and making them ethic or would you prefer new original characters?

It sure would be refreshing to hear another point of view,then the middle-aged white man`s perspective.

I agree with everything said here (thumbs u

I agree

I liken it to music. It's hard for a performer to cover a song as well as the original performer, but sometimes it comes off as good or better than the original performance. I was a bigger Nine Inch Nails fan growing up than a Johnny Cash fan, but Cash's version of 'Hurt' exceeded the NIN version because he put his soul into it. If an actor can put their heart and soul in a charcter, I can ignore physical disparities.

How do you compare relevant actors to musicians? One is visible and one is auditory. Seems apples and oranges. Every role in the history of roles has a 'look' with casting. I want the best possible actor too, but you would rarely cast Bettie White as the 'sexy female lead' opposite Chris Helmsworth in his next flick. All I'm saying is that there are giant leaps of faith the audience is willing to make. Some that know the fantastic four may have a hard time seeing Johnny and Sue as brother and sister (per the Ultimate U), much less a black actor (or insert any white character playing Nick Cage) playing a comic character that is no less than 54 years old, has been in numerous books, even on his own, and has never, ever been black. I'm sure I'm the only one who is narrow minded enought to view the world through less than rose colored lenses.

Exactly, but Michelle Rodriguez argument is she would prefer to see characters of another race have their own mythologies built around them.

She is upset with them trying to turn a girl character into a guy, or a white character into a black character or Latin character. She wants them to stop being lazy and make an effort in Hollywood to come up with their own mythology.

Do you appreciate them taking old used white characters, and making them ethic or would you prefer new original characters?

It sure would be refreshing to hear another point of view,then the middle-aged white man`s perspective.

Your not on facebook, are you? A lot of minority (and non minority) commenters and comic/tv fans in general are calling her 'backword thinking, bigoted, traitor to non whites' etc.

Your not on facebook, are you? A lot of minority (and non minority) commenters and comic/tv fans in general are calling her 'backword thinking, bigoted, traitor to non whites' etc.

Those people would be insufficiently_thoughtful_persons IMHO. I think she's spot on and applaud her making her thoughts public knowledge. I'm not a fan of colorblind casting in general.

Ok, let's have 616 collide with another universe where everyone is the opposite race and then another one with the opposite gender - boom. There is comic legitimacy. I'm happy.

Logan - I echo your thoughts, seems self indulgent from a Movie studio standpoint.

Yes. I want to hear what the minorities viewpoint is, and not the middle-aged white male.

I want to know how they feel about her statements.

Disclaimer:

I married to a Spanish dark-skinned woman with a child from her.

I`m putting that out there because my wife says the only time she is reminded about racism/slavery is when middle-aged white people bring up stuff like what do you think of Spider-Man being black or I saw Roots talk.

From our white perspective it`s cool that Nick Fury and Spider-Man can be black. To us it is progressive.

I want to hear from the minorities perspective. What do they think?

Do they like the idea?

I agree

I liken it to music. It's hard for a performer to cover a song as well as the original performer, but sometimes it comes off as good or better than the original performance. I was a bigger Nine Inch Nails fan growing up than a Johnny Cash fan, but Cash's version of 'Hurt' exceeded the NIN version because he put his soul into it. If an actor can put their heart and soul in a character, I can ignore physical disparities.

Except film is visual medium. Most probably wouldn't accept film-biographies done the way superheroes films are. The Diana Ross Story staring Justin Timberlake? Angelina Jolie as Mick Jagger? Jackie Chan as Johnny Cash?

So I agree with Michelle Rodriguez. It's just lazy storytelling and forced diversity.

Some think of fictional heroes as 'mantles' and not characters, where anyone can suit up and be a Batman or a Spider-man or whatever. I get that. To me they're characters.

Overall Hollywood's job is to put butts in seats, so I'm fine if my butt isn't included. There's just too much to enjoy in this golden age of superhero film, tv, novels and animation. So, you know, make Zorro as a polynesian princess taking on Captain Cook, fine, and good luck with drawing a crowd.

Yes. I want to hear what the minorities viewpoint is, and not the middle-aged white male.

I want to know how they feel about her statements.

I resemble that statement! Ok, shutting up now...

DAVE - my point exactly (ok, really, shutting up for real now)

I agree

I liken it to music. It's hard for a performer to cover a song as well as the original performer, but sometimes it comes off as good or better than the original performance. I was a bigger Nine Inch Nails fan growing up than a Johnny Cash fan, but Cash's version of 'Hurt' exceeded the NIN version because he put his soul into it. If an actor can put their heart and soul in a character, I can ignore physical disparities.

Except film is visual medium. Most probably wouldn't accept film-biographies done the way superheroes films are. The Diana Ross Story staring Justin Timberlake? Angelina Jolie as Mick Jagger? Jackie Chan as Johnny Cash?

So I agree with Michelle Rodriguez. It's just lazy storytelling and forced diversity.

Some think of fictional heroes as 'mantles' and not characters, where anyone can suit up and be a Batman or a Spider-man or whatever. I get that. To me they're characters.

Overall Hollywood's job is to put butts in seats, so I'm fine if my butt isn't included. There's just too much to enjoy in this golden age of superhero film, tv, novels and animation. So, you know, make Zorro as a polynesian princess taking on Captain Cook, fine, and good luck with drawing a crowd.

Fair points. I was at a musical performance last night with a discussion occurring afterwards re: artists interpreting the original composers music, so I had that still in my mind this morning when I read this thread - it probably was a bad comparison even if I were half as articulate as the person making the interpreting comment. :boo:

I`m putting that out there because my wife says the only time she is reminded about racism/slavery is when middle-aged white people bring up stuff like what do you think of Spider-Man being black or I saw Roots talk.

Maybe because white people in this country are aware that any open and honest discussion of race, including any valid criticism of pandering to a specific group, will usually end with them being called racist, cost them their job, and lead them to a public flogging on the interwebs? Thus the banal questions about a mini-series that aired decades ago?

Michelle Rodriguez is a bit of nut and does not speak for the entire minority community. She is an offbeat personality with her personal point of view.

As a latino, I would love to see original latino super hero roles developed but there are not very many out there. The White Tiger is one of the few that come to mind. However being Latino does not limit what I would like to see. I am a comic book fan and I want to see all of the superheroes I grew up with come to life on the big screen. Captain America, Black Panther, Hulk, Ultron.... Captain America casting was great (but he was not a great human torch). If they cast a black actor it would have still been ok, if the actor was great. I grew up with Green Hulk but if they chose to do a story with Red, Grey or Purple Hulk I would still be thrilled. What color should the actor be who plays Ultron? Or the Vision? Is it ok that Vision is more purple than green?

Besides Ben Affleck as Daredevil, my biggest casting disappointment to date was Halle Barry as Storm. Halle is beautiful but she played the character all wrong and she did it badly. I would rather they cast any actress in that role over her. I think it's all a matter of personal taste.