• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 181: Newsstand Edition vs. Direct Edition...

27 posts in this topic

Hey RMA,

You are very knowledgeable on this subject... And I thank you for sharing it with us.

Could you share your opinion or knowledge on the following?:

Why do you think GPA decided to use DD 181 to differentiate sales between NE's and DE's?

How can GPA know, without seeing each comic sold, what is an NE and what's a DE?

Do you know if the CGC denotes between the two specifically for DD 181?

I look forward to your reply.

SW3D

A little bit of facts:

Marvel introduced UPC barcode on comics in 6/76 (yes, it does take away from the art).

In 6/79, direct editions were produced, and they initially had a slash over bar code for a short while, with issue number and price in a diamond. Soon after, this was replaced by a Spidey head in barcode box, and eventually price and issue number in an 'M' starting 10/82.

Since 6/79, newsstand editions were also released to newsstands and other stores.

Direct editions began with Feb, 1977 cover dated books. They went company-wide with Marvel with the 6/79 cover dated books.

SW3D: I share your sentiments!

RockMyAmadeus: Just wondering- if Direct editions began to be produced in Feb. 1977,

what features from books from Feb. 1977 through May 1979 distinguish them from newsstand editions?

The "fat" and "skinny" diamonds are Direct market versions. Some call them "Whitman" versions, and it's true that Western (Whitman) was the biggest consumer of the Direct market in those early years, but they were not the only ones.

Ah- the 'fat' diamond versions of Star Wars 1-9 in '77 were reprints; guess those can be technically considered direct market versions, because they had no UPc barcode.

Were all 'fat' diamond issues of that era reprints, or did they include 1st printings as well?

Hey RMA,

You are very knowledgeable on this subject... And I thank you for sharing it with us.

Could you share your opinion or knowledge on the following?:

Why do you think GPA decided to use DD 181 to differentiate sales between NE's and DE's?

How can GPA know, without seeing each comic sold, what is an NE and what's a DE?

Do you know if the CGC denotes between the two specifically for DD 181?

I look forward to your reply.

SW3D

Maybe RMA can give some more insight,

but from what I know, GPA decided to use only the modern book DD 181 to differentiate sales between NE's and DE's, because it was a hot book at the time they started, with the announcement of the movie at that time. Not sure why they didn't do that for other hot books of that era, for instance X-Men 137.

I think that the only way GPA can know the difference between a NE and a DE is to view the item in the listing for that particular issue (only for DD 181's sold). As far as I know, they did not make a differentiation between NE and DE for any other book of that era.

CGC does not differentiate between the two on the CGC label for graded DD 181's or any other books of that era, as of yet-

Hey guys

I've just discovered these Boards and wanted to chime in.

So you know, I am a DC fan, I switched over from Marvel during the late 80's. My take on this is a little different. But, the main thing I wanted to comment on was a comment I saw couple of times. There were references to the Newsstand Comics being a thing of the past, and that new collectors won't know the difference.

For you Marvel guys, that may be true. Since Marvel went Direct only a short while back I can see why you say that. But, as a DC guy, I just thought it opened up the shelf for more DC titles. As a Justice League completist, I am happy to say I own the entire run of Justice League and Justice League of America (the New 52 runs from 2011 and 2013) in both Direct Market and Newsstand. I am also in the process of picking up books this week that will give me 50 of the 64 books in the 2006 Justice League series.

Just my 2 cents worth

Hello ZC,

Thanks for your feedback.

How are you able to obtain your DC newsstands? Are you getting them at Barnes & Noble?

And what kind of condition are they in as compared to the Direct Editions?

SW3D

Hey SW3D

Yes, I get them at Barnes and Noble. When I first discovered that they were carrying them, it was a few issue into the New 52. I was able to go out and find Newsstands of the ones I had missed, even 2nd, 3rd and 4th prints of issue 1.

The stores carry some the same with a few variations. I have had to run around and go to multiple stores to pick up some of the runs, such as the 3D variations and the lenticular variations. Those don't hit the newsstands, but I have a 3D/lenticular, a standard, and a newsstand edition. It's another niche to fill for us insufficiently_thoughtful_person completists.

The conditions aren't bad, usually. They will get in a stock of 10 to 30 books. You can usually find copies that are in the mid 9's and up, as long as you get there soon after they are put out. If you wait to long and they get thumbed thru too much, your choices go down. Especially when they get in noteworthy issues like a Batman with a cool cover. Those seem to attract a lot of fingers.

Hey ZC,

Thanks for the quick reply.

You made an excellent point about one of the hazards with newsstand comics: Too many hands and fingers thumbing through the comics.

I remember being guilty of this, sometimes using my Stationary Store as a library, leafing through the comics and magazines before making a choice. As a kid I had to do this since I had a restrictive allowance that forced me to be very selective. As part of the selection process, I would often pull out a comic from the wall-rack or spinner rack and speed read through the comic. If I liked it, I would cherry-pick the best example... but rarely did I find comics that were near perfect; 99% of newsstands have a dinge of some sort.

As an adult I still practice this habit... whether I visit my LCS, B&N, or a Newsstand, I still thumb through comics, reading and browsing like its my personal library.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again, there is a deep divide between the treatment and special handling Direct Editions get and the abuse Newsstands receive; and if you are lucky to come across an NE at high grade, it's like finding a rare comic... it's worth collecting.

SW3D