• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 181: Newsstand Edition vs. Direct Edition...

27 posts in this topic

If memory serves me correctly, this may have already been discussed on a journal topic or two, or on the chat boards, but I can't seem to find it. And if anyone knows of the discussion I'm referring to or something similar, I would be grateful if you could point it out.

Anyway... the other day I noticed on eBay, a seller has on auction, Daredevil 181, the infamous, "Death of Elektra". It's the Newsstand Edition in 9.8. In his seller's description and characteristics, he provides the GPA Analysis stats of Daredevil 181, and goes out of his way to point out the stats for Newsstand Edition sales as compared to the Direct Edition. Basically, he champions the idea that Newsstand Editions are recognized as rarer and as a result, sell at a higher value than Direct Editions. He effectively uses the latest GPA sales figures for Daredevil 181 in 9.8 to prove his argument.

I decided to log on and see for myself. And lo and behold, he's right. GPA Analysis, for Daredevil Volume 1, Number 181, makes a clear distinction between the Newsstand Edition and Direct Edition, with listings of the latest sales for grades from 7.0 to 9.8. As far as I know, other than Spawn #9 (which is more about the variance), this seems to be the only other comic book that GPA provides distinct sales figures for, between Newsstand and Direct Editions.

I'm curious... Is this a new trend for GPA or just a one-time experiment? Are we going to see GPA give more and more comic books similar treatment? And if so, will Newsstand Editions become prized possessions? Just to clarify, I'm specifically referring to Newsstand Edition comic books published and distributed during the Direct Edition era. Somewhere between the Mid-to-Late 70's and into the 80's, when Direct Editions became the norm, Newsstand Editions became the 2nd class citizen comic book. It is well known that Newsstand Editions were published in fewer numbers and received far harsher treatment than Direct Editions, which is why it's more challenging to find them, let alone in high grade. Sadly, today, modern Newsstand Editions are virtually non-existent.

For me, that is nostalgically, Newsstand Editions have a special place in my heart over Direct Editions. I grew up buying comic books off newsstand racks for many years before I discovered a comic book specialty shop. And even when that happened, I didn't immediately embrace the LCS concept, nor did it provide the convenience it could have simply because it was located miles away from where I lived, and that was enough of a hassle for me to choose my neighborhood newsstand over the LCS ninety percent of the time. Of course, today, as an adult, the LCS wins out hands down. The LCS offers a far greater variety of comics and back issues than any newsstand could ever carry, and, sadly, newsstand nowadays, just don't carry a lot of comic books, especially Marvel.

Ever since I started collecting CGC Comics, I noticed a small but growing niche among collectors and their positive attitudes toward Newsstand Edition Comics. There seems to be more and more collectors accepting and embracing Newsstand Editions... and I like that! I like that younger collectors, through our exchange of information and reminiscing, are given insights as to how comic book collecting was like before the advent of the LCS and Direct Edition distribution. It reminds me of what I read and learned about those collectors buying comics in the Golden, Silver and early Bronze Ages. Those collectors faced a whole set of challenges I could never really understand as a child, but appreciate now as a seasoned collector. I will admit, I was fortunate to begin collecting when the hobby was reaching maturity and becoming mainstream... and therefore I recognize how much easier I had it... much like how much easier the modern child has it as compared to boys and girls growing up in the 70's and 80's. And of course, this trend will always self-perpetuate as the decades roll along. The "old" guys will talk about "back in the day" as a "new" audience listens.

So where will this go? Will the modern comic book collector feed their curiosity and collecting habits by seeking out Newsstand Editions? Will the GPA lead the charge in this endeavor? Will the CGC follow suit and change things up in their census by distinguishing Newsstand Editions and Direct Editions? Will comic book dealers and sellers fuel the fire further by jacking up the prices of Newsstand Edition comics (Mile High comics anyone?). I guess only time will tell. What are your thoughts?

Before I go, I would like to share a scan of my original copy, Newsstand Edition of Daredevil 181. I can't remember the exact newsstand I bought it from, but more than likely it was purchased from a stationary store with a spinner rack in my neighborhood growing up. The CGC graded it a respectable 9.2 with white pages. Although it may not be a 9.8, nonetheless I'm happy with the grade because I know it got rough treatment from the get-go. And all things considering, after 32 years or so it was under my care, it received a near mint grade... a grade achieved without pressing... that's something to be proud about.

Thank you for reading, and as always, Happy Collecting!

SW3D

16423.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Thanks for writing SW3D. I know we've talked about newsstand editions on previous journals but I don't remember who or when. If memory serves though, Tnerb said he wasn't a fan of the Spider-man head on the direct editions. I don't like them either, but the bar code isn't really any better...they both take away from the artwork on the cover (someone else had made that comment before too). Personally I love the covers before they started putting that stuff on there at all. My earliest cover with a bar code is ASM 161 from 10/76...I don't how long before that they were on there.

Here is my journal on the topic:

In Praise of Newsstand Editions

I remember reading that and both of these are excellent journal entries!

There certainly is something to be said for newsstand editions and I can see HG collectors seeking those out voraciously thereby creating another market as was suggested.

Before reading this entry SW3D, I had no idea that GPAnalysis made any mention between newsstand and direct editions for sales results. Now that has me thinking differently on the matter!

There have been a number of journals and chat board discussions regarding Newsstand Edition comic books. The ones I remember were written by Tnerb, Bag O' Fleas, and most recently, CardiacKid1.

But I could have sworn there was a journal that specifically addressed and discussed the anamoly of Daredevil 181 as covered by GPA Analysis. And I was wondering if anyone else took note of it and cared.

I hope readers who have a subscription to GPA, log on and check DD 181 and

see for themselves.

I have three (3) burning questions for GPA:

1. Why are they doing this for DD 181?

2. Are they going to do this for other comics?

3. How can they differentiate between a Newsstand Edition and Direct Edition, without seeing the comics?

I too perfer comic book covers without the UPC box or DE box. Why clutter the comic book unnecessarily? I believe hammershipdown once suggested the box should be placed on the back cover... excellent suggestion in my opinion.

SW3D

Before reading this entry SW3D, I had no idea that GPAnalysis made any mention between newsstand and direct editions for sales results. Now that has me thinking differently on the matter!

Well Hibou, it also had me thinking.

I honestly believe too many collectors were weaned on Direct Editions to care or appreciate Newsstand Editions. However, if the market starts dictating that NE's are scarcer in general, and it has a positive effect on sales, then many collectors will no doubt, start collecting NE's.

Thanks for reading.

SW3D

Here is my journal on the topic:

In Praise of Newsstand Editions

This journal entry sold me on Newsstands. :cloud9:

I've started buying 9.8 newsstand editions of my favorite issues of Daredevil from the Miller run despite owning 9.8 direct editions.

Here are my newsstand editions.

2eoel2x.jpg

dbl3xc.jpg

2aag280.jpg

I didn't consider newsstand vs. direct until I read cardiackid's journal entry.

Hey HS,

Those are gorgeous copies! I'm not only a fan of Newsstand Editions, but I also love the vintage universal blue labels! Congrats on your acquisitons, and thank you for sharing.

Do you have any idea why GPA is comparing apples to oranges?

SW3D.

Consider...the era of the newsstand copy has essentially ended. The UPC copy lasted from 1976 to about 2010-ish (though it's not quite dead yet), and eventually, if printed comics continue to exist, the UPC copies will just be one quirk in the long history of comics. Those who began collecting comics after about 2000 will generally not have much experience, if any at all, with newsstand comics.

Thanks for the post-

DD 181 was one of my favorite issues as a kid.

From what I understand, when GPA started, the DD movie was announced, and that was one of the biggest modern keys at the time. This is one of the few (or only) comic of that era that they listed both newsstand and direct sales. Also, I believe that CGC notes 'Newsstand edition' on the CGC label for some specific DD Volume 2 issues, later on).

While over 99% of issues that were released as both newsstand and direct editions are not differentiated by GPA or CGC, their sales values are pretty close, most often.

However, the Spider-Man logo in the box is not my preference, so I'd rather collect issues with the UPC barcode, so I'm looking for specific issues of the Marvel 80's titles I'm looking for (hence my screen name lol).

A little bit of facts:

Marvel introduced UPC barcode on comics in 6/76 (yes, it does take away from the art).

In 6/79, direct editions were produced, and they initially had a slash over bar code for a short while, with issue number and price in a diamond. Soon after, this was replaced by a Spidey head in barcode box, and eventually price and issue number in an 'M' starting 10/82.

Since 6/79, newsstand editions were also released to newsstands and other stores.

3 side notes:

-I recently heard that a few months ago that in 2014, Marvel went direct only.

-I believe that DC Comics started their direct/newsstand editions in 10/80. They still release both.

- Daredevil was an underrated comic movie. While it would have been nice to see Bullseye in a costume, I thought they did a pretty good job of adapting DD 181's story to the big screen. I had always thought that would make a great movie. That ones worth another watch!

Hope the Netflix series gets it right. :)

Consider...the era of the newsstand copy has essentially ended. The UPC copy lasted from 1976 to about 2010-ish (though it's not quite dead yet), and eventually, if printed comics continue to exist, the UPC copies will just be one quirk in the long history of comics. Those who began collecting comics after about 2000 will generally not have much experience, if any at all, with newsstand comics.

Hey RMA,

I agree with you. The Newsstand Comic is essentially dead, and the new generation of comic collector will have little understanding as to their place in history... but let's cherish their place in history as best as we can and constantly remind the new generation why they are so important.

SW3D

Hey L4N,

Thanks for reading and your input!

I'm a big fan of DD as well and hope Netflix's gets it right. As far as the DD movie... I'm still ambivalent about it. I own it, and because it's DD it has a special place in my heart... but I would love to see the series rebooted and given the budget it deserves.

On the subject of Newsstand Editions, I believe the NE of Spawn #1 (the 1st appearance of Spawn) is coveted by collectors. I once had a 9.4/WP listed on eBay. I was surprised that what I consider a "low grade" for a modern comic, would sell as quickly as it did... the reason... it's a NE, and from I understanding, when compared to DE's, a NE of Spawn #1 is pretty rare.

If I had known NE's would be prized possessions one day, I would have bought multiple copies of the more popular titles and taken greater pains to ensure high grades.

Whenever you acquire a NE comic, by all means share it with us with a journal or two.

Long live Newsstand Edition comic books!

SW3D

A little bit of facts:

Marvel introduced UPC barcode on comics in 6/76 (yes, it does take away from the art).

In 6/79, direct editions were produced, and they initially had a slash over bar code for a short while, with issue number and price in a diamond. Soon after, this was replaced by a Spidey head in barcode box, and eventually price and issue number in an 'M' starting 10/82.

Since 6/79, newsstand editions were also released to newsstands and other stores.

Direct editions began with Feb, 1977 cover dated books. They went company-wide with Marvel with the 6/79 cover dated books.

Newsstand editions of most Image books from the 90's....including the gobzillion printed books from 1992-1993...are quite rare by comparison, and also frequently price and/or cover variations.

Example: Wildcats #2.

A little bit of facts:

Direct editions began with Feb, 1977 cover dated books. They went company-wide with Marvel with the 6/79 cover dated books.

SW3D: I share your sentiments!

RockMyAmadeus: Just wondering- if Direct editions began to be produced in Feb. 1977,

what features from books from Feb. 1977 through May 1979 distinguish them from newsstand editions?

For instance, take the X-Men title:

-Issues up to #98 (4/76) have no UPC barcode.

-Issue #99 (6/76) is the first to display UPC barcode, continues on all issues through #121 (5/79).

-Starting with issue #122 (6/79), Direct editions have slash across UPC barcode box, issue number/price in diamond. Newsstand editions continue to have regular UPC barcode box, issue number/price in box.

-Starting with issue #131 (3/80), Direct editions have Spidey face in UPC barcode box, issue number/price in diamond. Newsstand editions continue to have regular UPC barcode box, issue number/price in box.

-Starting with issue #162 (10/82), Direct editions continue to have Spidey face in UPC barcode box, issue number/price in 'M' (for 'Marvel'). Newsstand editions continue to have regular UPC barcode box, issue number/price in box.

As a side note, the 1st Direct distrubution-only comic by Marvel was Dazzler #1 (3/81). CGC notes that on their label. No UPC barcode box at all, issue number/price in diamond. No newsstand edition was printed for that one.

I've never cared one way or the other if my book was newsstand or direct.

I will say that I do specifically hunt down Direct copies of the McFarlane Spidey run, as some of the drawings in the Direct box are awesome.

I also know that collectors looking for newsstand editions have been growing by the day, so it definitely is a valid market going forward.

Agree with Vikingreed- the McFarlane Spidey drawings in direct box for are cool. His ASM direct box sketches were in ASM #303-314, 316-325, 328. Also like Larsen's Sinister Six drawings in direct box for ASM #334-339. His direct box sketches were in ASM #327, 332-339, 341-345, 348-350 (After that, the Cap anniversary logo took its place, followed by Spidey anniversary logo).

Have been trying to get a copy of #335 in 9.8 (newsstand or direct); sold my two 9.6 copies I got graded (one was newsstand, one was direct).

Yes, I also did a journal on the subject way back.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=8707

That is an awesome copy you have there!

I recently acquired a newsstand edition of Dazzler #21 in 9.8 WP that I never thought would be found! And even better is the fact that I found it raw in a box at a convention with no back. Just in a bag and shoved into a box! As I looked it over, I nearly fainted at how good it looked! Having a solid jet black cover makes it hard enough to find in nice condition, but as a newsstand? You can forget it! That's why I was so astonished at it!

Last year I found a raw, newsstand copy of Spectacular Spider-Man #64 at a convention for $17 that I was sure was 9.8, and once I submitted it, I was confirmed!

These newsstands are incredibly tough to find in 9.8 or better, and I love the challenge of finding them. If you give me a choice between a newsstand copy of a book and a direct edition of it, I'll take the newsstand copy every time. I've even traded a 9.8 graded direct copy of a book for a 9.8 graded newsstand copy of a book before, just because I wanted the newsstand over the direct and the other person wanted the opposite.

It was a trade with my big bro BTW. lol

A little bit of facts:

SW3D: I share your sentiments!

RockMyAmadeus: Just wondering- if Direct editions began to be produced in Feb. 1977,

what features from books from Feb. 1977 through May 1979 distinguish them from newsstand editions?

The "fat" and "skinny" diamonds are Direct market versions. Some call them "Whitman" versions, and it's true that Western (Whitman) was the biggest consumer of the Direct market in those early years, but they were not the only ones.