• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

any love for GA Canadian edtions?

40 posts in this topic

I have a few Canadian editions of 1940's batman, Superman Cap.America etc.and have noticed there are very few on the Census, is it lack of interest or are they very rare? I know they have a smaller page count than the American versions and sometimes a different story or two but I find them to be a cool variant.

I believe they had very low print runs and are pretty scarce. They are growing in popularity on the tail of Canadian Whites. In the "old days" they were worth considerably less than US editions. Probably rightly so because after all they were "reprints" I prefer the ones with reprints of US books with different Canadian covers. I have a few weird ones.

I agree that interest is picking up. The late 1940's Timelys often have the same covers and content but sometimes the cover is colored differently from the US version.

Venus #1 is the same except for the interior ads and it's dated a month later than the US version.

venus-1-t.jpg

This Annie Oakly #4 had a green background on the US version rather than the white background on the Canadian copy.

annieoakley-4-canada-t.jpg

Even up to a few years back, they were more affordable than their US counterparts but that seems to be changing.

I agree that interest is picking up. The late 1940's Timelys often have the same covers and content but sometimes the cover is colored differently from the US version.

Venus #1 is the same except for the interior ads and it's dated a month later than the US version.

venus-1-t.jpg

Even up to a few years back, they were more affordable than their US counterparts but that seems to be changing.

:takeit:

This beater is the Canada version of Planet #3. It reprints a late US issue in the #60's. I can't remember which one off hand.

complanet3canada_zps1bfjkyo5.jpg

Cool - it was #63 in the US, #3 in Canada and #5 in Australia:

Oz_Planet_05_zpsblpcehlt.jpg

The straight up reprints with the same covers are interesting, but they don't do a whole lot for me, though I can see why Canadian collectors would chase them. On the other hand the reprints with new titles and covers I find very cool, they look like they come from an altenate universe of Golden Age

I have a lot of cool Mexican editions too. I've seen, but don't have Black Cat Mystery #50 (exploding head cover). I saw a Mexican EC for for a pretty penny go on eBay recently. Foreign comics have really heated up. I think people have realized how scarce they are.

Wow!! Jungle drums and Wonderful Adventures, I am getting pumped up to start the search, there are so many titles out there I didn't know existed. I love the hunt for the obscure and the truly cool.

I have a lot of cool Mexican editions too. I've seen, but don't have Black Cat Mystery #50 (exploding head cover). I saw a Mexican EC for for a pretty penny go on eBay recently. Foreign comics have really heated up. I think people have realized how scarce they are.

Sellers generally ask as much for the classic Harvey horror covers on Mexican editions as they do for the originals. I think they are cool, but they have gotten expensive.

Not all the comics are straight reprints. For example Batman 47 while having the same cover as the Am.Ed. does not contain "The Chain Gang Crimes" but does have a Johnny Quick story. "The Miracle Farmer" which is in the American Ed.of Adventure Comics #128.

Also Can Ed. of Superman #53 with same cover does not have the "'Oracle from Metropolis" story but instead has an Aquaman story "The Treasure beneath the Lake" from Adventure Comics #129. I think all the DC versions have similar contents as the page count was smaller but I don't know why they substituted stories from other series instead of just eliminating a story. All in all I think they should be considered variants not just straight reprints.