• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art Binge! posted by bagofleas

30 posts in this topic

The picture below is one that I just won on an auction tonight. I'm not an enormous FF fan, but I've always had a hankering for Galactus, and when I saw this piece, I was instantly taken by the image!

I love the perspective and how all four of the FF are in mid-attack from different areas of the image!

The only drawback to this particular piece is that the artist is unknown, but it's is still an amazing 11x17 piece!

I'm normally more fond of inked pieces, but this piece does look simply astonishing, congrats! The art captures FF as I remember them, when they are best - battling the giant devourer of worlds.

In my opinion art is meant to be watched and enjoyed, and this should work even if the artist is unknown ;) Personally I would not buy a piece from for example Kirby just because his name is on it - the art is the most important aspect, not the artist, although many collectors might not share this opinion :flamed:

Collectors of a particular artist would definitely not share that opinion. However, it's like anything else, just collect what appeals to you.

For instance, I love the Warlord comic and I love Grell's art in general. When I was at a show back in the 90s, I found a guy selling a bunch of Warlord pages and selected the one page that appealed to me most. I have zero interest in buying a Warlord drawing from an unknown artist.

I'd have to agree as well.

I don't think you can separate the individual from the art... and I don't think it should be that way. As for the FF piece, I like it a lot! Great perspective on that.

And I keep meaning to ask, but what does OAK stand for?

One of A Kind. I coined the term back in '09 and it's stuck with the hobby ever since. :)

I also coined the term CPR, such as in doing CPR on a book. It stands for Cracking,Pressing, Regrading. So if you see that term, that's what it means

You are joking, right? CPR - crack press and resub was regular parlance going back to the Manufactured Gold thread from my earliest days, and probably far before that.

Mitch Mehdy is the true innovator of terms.....his "Face Jobbing" post on the Costanza books is truly the stuff of legend...the crucible out of which gems are forged.

igxen.jpg

If that's the case with CPR, then I apologize.

I thought it up, not having ever heard it referred to before, so that would be my mistake. I guess in that case, you could just say I "popularized" the term, but then that may not be true either. Either way, my apologies. :)

If that's the case with CPR, then I apologize.

I thought it up, not having ever heard it referred to before, so that would be my mistake. I guess in that case, you could just say I "popularized" the term, but then that may not be true either. Either way, my apologies. :)

It happens to us all.

I remember, way back in 2nd grade, I was convinced I invented the word "Dork".

Mork and Mindy was a huge hit on TV. It rolled right off the tongue.."Mork from Ork is a Dork".

It was genius. It was inspired. It was ALL MINE!!!

Those were heady days. I was on top of the world. My creative powers at their peak. There was nothing of which I could not conceive. Then we started multiplication tables and my world was rent asunder.

Bagofleas...cool art man. I'm a big Galactus fan. What do you do with all your pieces, are they displayed or framed, or kept in a binder or something? I'm always real particular with the art I buy cause I like to frame my stuff and the frame job can sometimes cost more than the art itself. My Silvestri splash of Silver Surfer is my most expensive piece and most expensive frame job...but so worth it, and still looks tough hanging in my living room after all these years. If you haven't already, you should post your stuff on comicartfans.com for all to see!

Personally I would not buy a piece from for example Kirby just because his name is on it - the art is the most important aspect, not the artist, although many collectors might not share this opinion :flamed:

Collectors of a particular artist would definitely not share that opinion. However, it's like anything else, just collect what appeals to you.

For instance, I love the Warlord comic and I love Grell's art in general. When I was at a show back in the 90s, I found a guy selling a bunch of Warlord pages and selected the one page that appealed to me most. I have zero interest in buying a Warlord drawing from an unknown artist.

I know, and I guess we would all love to get great art from great and famous artists. Personally I would love to get those Dark Knight Returns Frank Miller covers, maybe Spidey #39, #51 (first Kingpin cover) and the original Barry Smith Conan the Barbarian covers :cloud9:, but these covers cost more than I am willing or able to pay. Just did the math and the last 9 months I spent 15k on 10 pieces including shipping, evil Customs and framing. For that amount I could have gotten maybe 1 relatively nice piece or panel page from for example Frank Miller (his DD panel pages can be found from 4k and up), but it would not be a great Miller piece or a cover, and I probably would not greatly enjoy the art. Then of course I could spend some more, maybe continue saving money for years, but that would be kind of boring, also because I wanted some framed art for the wall now (and before the kids become teenagers or adults ;-) So I also chose to purchase art that I really like/love :cloud9: not caring much about the artist behind the art (ok, I did restrict myself to buying only published and inked covers or splash pages), thus I chose art before the artist.

It was kind of an easy decision, because I really like modern covers - comic art has developed a lot the last 50 years, and often I find modern art much more energetic, mature and emotionally engaging (ok, violent could be a better word hm ) than the covers from my childhood. Other collectors may argue that less is more, but I really love all my covers and currently can’t think of any single 15k piece I would trade them all for.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=102942

As has been written before, "collect what you love" :preach: - and art taste is of course individual.

Great piece. I saw it on eBay but was traveling and didn't get back to it. Glad it found a nice home. I agree with Surfer in that you should display your art on CAF. Many collectors are private and the art disappears never to be seen again. Also someone may recognize the art style to help identify the artist.

James

I will def post them sometime in the near future. I am going to be featured in a FB newsletter next month for their original art section of the newsletter, so once that is done and posted, I will post some of my pieces on CAF. :)