• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Things That Make No Sense In Comics

61 posts in this topic

The Ultimate Nullifier-a tool of Galactus but designed to fit a human hand-thus Galactus could never use it so why does he have it?

25939_11.jpg

That's crazy why not just destroy it

Or if it can't be destroyed throw it in a sun or keep it in his helmet or something

The most ridiculous thing about Galactus is that he has a 'G' on his chest, unless it has another, symbolic meaning, similar to Superman's 'S' representing 'hope'. Perhaps Galactus' 'G', in his own, non-Terran language, symbolically represents 'you're screwed'?

The "Big G" stands for goodness!

Everything Marvel ever did makes perfect sense to the 11 year old male, social misfit that I was in 1965. And it always will make sense. They are eternal truths on the level of Moses and burning bush, Jesus and the resurrection and Xenu and the intergalactic overlords.

In the TV cartoon version (I never read the comic), they had to go back in time to get the Ultimate Nullifier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qXYFKpWyHk

The Watcher indicated that only Johnny Storm had the ability to make the trip (why not Sue, with her force field abilities? Maybe because he's able to fly,I don't know) Any-who...It sort of implied that the ultimate nullifier doesn't exist in the present (perhaps Galactus did indeed destroy it).

As to why it is human sized and looks and awful lot like an organ, and how Reed automatically understands how to activate it, someone else would have to chime in on.

But It is a good discussion to have over a few beers.

This kind of thread gets my (thumbs u

-Terry

The most ridiculous thing about Galactus is that he has a 'G' on his chest, unless it has another, symbolic meaning, similar to Superman's 'S' representing 'hope'. Perhaps Galactus' 'G', in his own, non-Terran language, symbolically represents 'you're screwed'?

+1

Galactus himself doesn't make any sense, so I have no qualms about any plotlines involving the Ultimate Nullifer not making sense. (:

Speaking of things that make no sense. I was reading a Jonny Quest comic a couple of weeks ago that I got from Griff. And in it, Dr. Zin's associates have abducted Jade in an attempt to acquire a mystical/scientific device of unknown usefulness. She manages to escape with the help of Jonny and Hadji, but a restaurant is shot up and several people are shot or injured. Then at the end, when the rare artifact is in-hand back where the story started, Zin has her at gun point and tells Jade to hand it over.

And how does nullify the situation? She threatens to call Interpol. Huh?! Zin has you at gun point! He could just shoot and kill you! How can you call Interpol when you're dead?!

Dr. Zin acquiesces, but you're left scratching your head over that Ultimate Nullifier.

So is "The Ultimate Nullifier" going to be a meme now? Like "jumping the shark"?

-Terry

The big "G" bugs you but not his ludicrous hat?

Marvel Value Stamps made sense in the fact that people would buy a comic only for the stamp inside. Since comics were generally considered worthless anyway, why not?

.... they would buy one to deface and one to keep....thereby doubling sales. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Marvel Value Stamps made sense in the fact that people would buy a comic only for the stamp inside. Since comics were generally considered worthless anyway, why not?

.... they would buy one to deface and one to keep....thereby doubling sales. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah, just looking at it through today's eyes is all.

It did make perfect sense in the 70s

Doesn't Galactus' appearance differ depending on the race viewing him?

Doesn't Galactus' appearance differ depending on the race viewing him?

It actually depends on the inert goodness of the beholder. A craven soul- the type of person who would sell comics for a profit sees him as a giant doofus in a purple suit. An angelic soul sees him as a giant dis-embodied cloud.

The big "G" bugs you but not his ludicrous hat?

It occurred to me that Galactus might be hiding a very high forehead / cranium under it, something like the Metalunans from 'This Island Earth', but much more exaggerated and evolved. That's why I never thought the hat looked ridiculous.

Here's something that doesn't make any sense...

During DOFP, why didn't Silver Surfer (or some other powerful galactic ally) come down to earth and destroy all the sentinels, instead of allowing mutant genocide to occur?