• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about CGC holder

9 posts in this topic

I just received my first CGC graded comic book in the mail today and I was somewhat surprised with the design of the holder. Is it my imagination or is the holder only sealed near the corners? The reason I ask is because the edges of the CGC holder are not sealed and I can easily put a thin object between them. Is this typical? Also, I noticed that the corner of the holder is cracked as if someone dropped it. I'm not being alarmist here, I'm just wondering if this is normal.

The reason I ask is because the edges of the CGC holder are not sealed and I can easily put a thin object between them. Is this typical?

Yes, it is more than typical. It is their standard.

Also, I noticed that the corner of the holder is cracked as if someone dropped it. I'm not being alarmist here, I'm just wondering if this is normal.

The cases do not travel well. They are prone to cracks etc. If you read the boards here more you will see this is a popular topic!

The case is comprised of two parts--the exterior, hard "shell" which is only sealed at the four corners as you point out, and the interior "well" which is heat-sealed on all four sides of the comic to keep it encapsulated. It's normal for the sides and top edges to be slightly ajar. I'm able to jam my index finger in the sides if I really want to, but I still can't get past the interior well without busting the whole case open.

The outer holder is NOW sealed in a far superior manner than before I pointed out the ease with which the entire unit could be compromised, a label replaced, or an interior assembly removed and replaced altogether, then resealed. I have noticed that the edges themselves are tighter, sealed farther from the corners as well, and are now less easily compromised. BUT, it can still be done.

One of the places I work uses ultrasonic sealing. The CGC cases look like they are sealed the same way. What the ultrasonic does is vibrate at a high frequency. When they seal plastics at work the machine gives out a high pitch sound. I'm told thats the plastic rubbing together real fast. CGC can probably seal the intire holder with the ultrasonic sealer. They seal bigger plastic things at the one plant that I've seen.