• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the skinny on the back cover???

11 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of forumites grading other peoples books and posting a grade with the "back cover looks as good as the front" stipulation. I know this sounds stupid makepoint.gif, but what is the definition of a "good" back cover as far as CGC is concerned. The reason I ask, is that I sent in about 12 modern books that were min. 9.2 and some had a shot at 9.8 in my book. But, with all this "back cover" talk , I now have doubts. You see, some of the back covers have what I call "storage rub". You know that minimal black color rub that occurs near the spine when comics are stored next to each other without bags. How does this and other defects affect grade? I should be getting them back in a week or two if the modern service is still on time, so I'll know soon enough!!!

I've seen a lot of forumites grading other peoples books and posting a grade with the "back cover looks as good as the front" stipulation. I know this sounds stupid makepoint.gif, but what is the definition of a "good" back cover as far as CGC is concerned. The reason I ask, is that I sent in about 12 modern books that were min. 9.2 and some had a shot at 9.8 in my book. But, with all this "back cover" talk , I now have doubts. You see, some of the back covers have what I call "storage rub". You know that minimal black color rub that occurs near the spine when comics are stored next to each other without bags. How does this and other defects affect grade? I should be getting them back in a week or two if the modern service is still on time, so I'll know soon enough!!!

At the 9.8 level it might make a difference. At 9.6 or below, it might not make any difference at all.

Sometimes referred to as "stacking stain", "ink transfer" or "light scuffing" -- it depends on the degree of the defect

Absolutely.

But most defects (structural or distrubuting) has much less impact on the grade if it's on the back cover as oppose to the front cover.

I have a 9.8 Batman #367 that has a light amount of ink transfer over a good portion of the b.c. Made it all the way to NM/MT. I guess if there are very few to no other defects it doesn't detract from the grade a whole lot.

Thanks for the input! Is this considered a defect? What kind of deduction are we talking for light "color transfer"? Could that issue alone bring a book from 9.8 to a 9.6 or lower (considering it is very light)? And to spare the forum another "grading" post...what dictates a mis-wrap? I have quite a few books that have the black cover line visible on the front. Is that a mis-wrap? How does it affect grade? confused-smiley-013.gif I'll try to post some scans of what I mean. thumbsup2.gif707302-mis-wrap.JPG707302-colortransfer.JPG

707302-colortransfer.JPG.2cbcd620a9942cb0b78e58141055b17f.JPG

Mis-wraps are considered a production defect and like most have little effect on any book 9.6 or lower.

However, a badly mis-wrapped book could possible knock a 9.6 down to a 9.4.

Weigh this opinion with others, as I might be out .2 on the grading here.

Sorry, I'm reviving this post. thumbsup2.gifI'd like to get some opinions on the pics I posted. Is the first a miswrap? How bad, if so? Would this affect the grade?How much? What about the BC scan? Would you consider the ink transfer (near the spine) light?Grade reduction? While we're on the BC topic. What about the "ink overrun?"(A production flaw I'm assuming. Too much ink?) on the top middle of the BC...Does that affect grade? confused-smiley-013.gif(thumbs up

Sorry, I'm reviving this post. thumbsup2.gifI'd like to get some opinions on the pics I posted. Is the first a miswrap? How bad, if so? Would this affect the grade?How much? What about the BC scan? Would you consider the ink transfer (near the spine) light?Grade reduction? While we're on the BC topic. What about the "ink overrun?"(A production flaw I'm assuming. Too much ink?) on the top middle of the BC...Does that affect grade? confused-smiley-013.gif(thumbs up

No, it's not a serious miswrap at all.

What you are calling "ink transfer" appears to be just a little dirt.

The "ink overrun" is actually what is called distributor spray or distributor ink, and is not a production defect.

Everything affects the overall grade - buy the Overstreet Grading Guide and read it cover to cover, then read it again! makepoint.gif

No, it's not a serious miswrap at all.

What you are calling "ink transfer" appears to be just a little dirt.

The "ink overrun" is actually what is called distributor spray or distributor ink, and is not a production defect.

Everything affects the overall grade - buy the Overstreet Grading Guide and read it cover to cover, then read it again! makepoint.gif

Whew! Glad David cleared that up, I was going crazy looking for the ink transfer mentioned. Yes that is just dirt which may be cleaned with Wonder bread or a soft white eraser. gossip.gif

Ink transfer is considered a production flaw and CGC does not greatly detract for it. I had an X men #2 CGC 9.2 that had a moderate amount of ink transfer on the front cover, PLUS soft corners and slight spine stress. Their thinking is that the books are piled too quickly during the printing process and the ink transfers before it is dry. gossip.gif

As far as the miswrap, this is not bad at all. thumbsup2.gif If the book were perfect other wise, you could have this miswrap on a 9.9 book. We had a huge discussion on this in the TOD 9.9 thread a few weeks ago..basically, on an otherwise "PERFECT" books, up to 1/16" miswrap is allowed on a 9.9 book, up to 1/8" on a 9.8 and then 9.6 and under for greater miswraps. Remember though, that even if a large flaw may cut the book off from a higher grade, it is the "accumulation" of flaws that determines the final grade. WHEW! sorry for being so long winded! makepoint.gif