• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Variant" vs "Exclusive" ?

9 posts in this topic

What's the difference (if any) between a "variant" and a "retailer exclusive"?

I see some variants that say "variant" by the publisher and are simply different cover-artists, while other books that also say "variant" by the publisher but seem to be "exclusive" to one particular seller, with the seller's logo on it also.

Is there a difference? Or is it six-of-one/half-dozen-of-another?

All exclusives are variants, but not all variants are exclusives.

I'll be here all week...

Does CGC note the difference?

Yes CGC differentiates, and I collect both.

I see some variants that say "variant" by the publisher and are simply different cover-artists, while other books that also say "variant" by the publisher but seem to be "exclusive" to one particular seller, with the seller's logo on it also.

In short, a non-variant is the standard cover for any issue.

Variants can be any number of things. Generally it just means there is different cover art, but that might apply to covers that a retailer can order any amount of, covers that a retailer can order at restricted ratios of the total number of issues they order, reprints with a new cover, or covers that are exclusive to a particular retailer.

In short, a non-variant is the standard cover for any issue.

Variants can be any number of things. Generally it just means there is different cover art, but that might apply to covers that a retailer can order any amount of, covers that a retailer can order at restricted ratios of the total number of issues they order, reprints with a new cover, or covers that are exclusive to a particular retailer.

+1

Variant = any "variation" in cover from the standard/normal/regular cover

Exclusive = a variant that has "rules" about how to get it (limited to a particular ordering ratio, or a particular comic shop, or a particular convention, etc.)