• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 great or 10,000 good

43 posts in this topic

So... I've been refining my strategy and offloading some of my lesser books to make more room for the better books. What this has meant is that I have a box from when I was a kid (sentimental and terrible condition), several short boxes of moderns that I try to offload frequently (mostly just my readers), and about 1 box of things I'd either always wanted or recently wanted: JIM83, TOS39, Aveng 1,4, GSX1, a nice collection of GA, etc. It's like wine taste maturing... I'm not buying 38 bottles of strawberry hill anymore, if you catch my drift.

Just wondering how common this thinking is and if your more of the gottacatchemall mindset, or the small but tight mindset.

This is a natural progression of most collectors in many areas even outside of comics in my opinion. Not always this extreme, but I believe the general evolution holds true for most areas of collecting.

I have been going through this exact progression myself lately, and it has intensified over the last year or two. Ballparking, at this moment in my collecting evolution I'd say that there are about 700 books in total that I'd like to have in my collection (and I keep slowly but surely winnowing that number down as I continue to focus), most of which are Golden Age...as a result, I have more than that right now in my "to be sold when I can get around to it" boxes.

Some of the harder ones (mentally) for me to sell are the ones that I've had for 35+ years...but I'm getting used to it. It's actually quite liberating :D

This was my goal: The Marvel 500 Keys - I've since sold them off, but I always liked going after that. 500 seemed to be a good number, lots of variation but still really manageable.

I remember that list of yours - I've always viewed it as a great example of a way to enforce one's collecting discipline. (thumbs u

Just wondering how common this thinking is and if your more of the gottacatchemall mindset, or the small but tight mindset.

When I was younger I was an accumulator. These days though, having dozens of boxes is mostly a burden. My eventual goal is to eliminate much of that.

Ehh, the more the merrier for me, and if you've seen any of my recent sales threads you know I'll buy ANYTHING if the price is right.

The thing is, I probably don't have but about 2000 books in my core collection. I collect SA Marvel (and select DC) titles, some of the 60's Charltons, Supersnipe, GA Superman and Action...and that's about it right now. I took a stab at GA Subby, and although the covers are dynamite, the stories are mostly meh.

On anything else I practice "catch and release", buy a bunch, enjoy them for a while, and then send them on their way, hopefully for break even or a little profit, and go trolling for another batch I haven't seen.

I've been Atlas PCH RICH the last two or three months, and have given myself a superb education on 50's romance, but very little of what I have is going to stick to my fingers when all's said and done. (Well, except for those Actions in the low 100's that is, those are mineminemine!)

I'm stymied - I collect books that I enjoy, but I still love to read current titles. My pull typically fluctuates between 15 and 30 titles at any given time, and those books pile up.

Most of these 15 to 30 books a month, I have no real interest in collecting long term, however... what to do with them all? Selling them off is what I typically try to do, but it takes too much time and there is so little return to make it worth the effort. Eventually, they pile up in numbers too great for me to ignore and I try to take care of it.

I must admit, I'm getting tired of the cycle.

I was well on my way to becoming a 15 great but then I became a comic seller and suddenly I have 100 longboxes to sell. (shrug)

I can't figure where you guys keep all that stock....

some are at my place but most are at a guy whose board name is thehumantorch. Is it a good idea to keep comics at a guy's place that is named after burning fire? :eek:

I was well on my way to becoming a 15 great but then I became a comic seller and suddenly I have 100 longboxes to sell. (shrug)

I can't figure where you guys keep all that stock....

some are at my place but most are at a guy whose board name is thehumantorch. Is it a good idea to keep comics at a guy's place that is named after burning fire? :eek:

Poor Dave lol

To stay on topic,I have so many new comics since I started collecting again,since I joined here,that I now have over 20 magazine boxes (longboxes don't fit the GA,Dell/GoldKey,or mylars well...) that are just a disaster...I've been looking for certain books forever...sigh...and it is so hard to let stuff go.That ASM I sent Dave with your Planet was one of the first ever,and I have three more :eek: