• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backlash over this Batgirl Joker variant cover

405 posts in this topic

It's definitely a provocative cover, but a nice nod to the classic story and in my opinion is a great cover. I get a distinct kinda creeped out feel looking at it, which is what the joker represents. When the joker is done right you are supposed yo he creeped out and scared.

I don't think its anything beyond that though. A cool nod to a classic batgirl storyline.

I get that most of you guys are Joker and Killing Joke fans, but surely, even if you love this cover, you can at least understand why some fans of Batgirl the character and Batgirl the title are unhappy with it?

I mean, this is like if Marvel decided to do a month of Avengers covers to celebrate the release of Avengers 2, and the variant cover for Captain Marvel was a picture of Carol Danvers being mind controlled by Marcus Immortus.

Of course some Batgirl fans are going to be upset! It's a totally valid response.

I get that most of you guys are Joker and Killing Joke fans, but surely, even if you love this cover, you can at least understand why some fans of Batgirl the character and Batgirl the title are unhappy with it?

I mean, this is like if Marvel decided to do a month of Avengers covers to celebrate the release of Avengers 2, and the variant cover for Captain Marvel was a picture of Carol Danvers being mind controlled by Marcus Immortus.

Of course some Batgirl fans are going to be upset! It's a totally valid response.

If not this, then what possible response is the cover supposed to provoke?

I for one am not upset that people are upset - I have to imagine the artist wanted this to be unsettling so... vote with your money. People should buy it if they like it, or avoid purchasing it if they don't.

Too many people try to sweep things under the rug because they personally dislike it or find it offensive... well, too bad. Don't buy it. Turn the channel. Don't watch that movie. Don't read that book. Don't talk to that guy. No one is shoving it down their throat, there are plenty of other covers out there that they will probably have no trouble enjoying - they should focus on those.

If its rare for a comic cover to show the lead in a vulnerable position, then I suppose I can understand a small amount of outrage. But I find it hard to believe that that's the case.

I'm not one to wine about the PC police, as I think those cries have become as rampant as what they protest. But this one seems artificial to me personally 2c

And like you said, of coarse some people are going to be upset. I'm sure a handful of people could find a reason to take offense to just about anything, and I don't have a problem with that. I'm just surprised that this particular cover has stirred up so many people...if that really is the case.

My exposure to people being unhappy with the cover is limited to what I've read about it in here and the bleeding cool article that was posted. The article makes an absurd point in that the cover is inappropriate because it does not coincide with the current direction of the character or the book.

Here is a variant cover to Batman 36:

1376357_ful.jpg

Does that cover in any way at all align with what is currently occurring in the pages of Batman? Does the tone of the LEGO cover adequately match that of the interior pages? Regular comic readers understand that what is depicted on a cover, might have little to nothing to do with what happens on the interior pages. The character on the cover may not even appear at all during the story inside. Its not something that one needs to get upset over.

Also, where was the uproar over these LEGO covers? Theoretically that should anger Bat fans because it panders to little children and it should also anger the parents of little children because it is misleading and implements the use of a children's toy to market mature content. The social media warriors must have been busy with a different cause when this issue was released.

Agreed, solid point.

Honestly, I'll have to see some of the outrage first hand before I believe this isn't a manufactured controversy.

If it turns out a large segment is legitimately upset about the cover..then I won't have much to say. People have a right to :censored: and moan about things they don't like. I'll just think their silly for it

My exposure to people being unhappy with the cover is limited to what I've read about it in here and the bleeding cool article that was posted. The article makes an absurd point in that the cover is inappropriate because it does not coincide with the current direction of the character or the book.

Here is a variant cover to Batman 36:

1376357_ful.jpg

Does that cover in any way at all align with what is currently occurring in the pages of Batman? Does the tone of the LEGO cover adequately match that of the interior pages? Regular comic readers understand that what is depicted on a cover, might have little to nothing to do with what happens on the interior pages. The character on the cover may not even appear at all during the story inside. Its not something that one needs to get upset over.

Also, where was the uproar over these LEGO covers? Theoretically that should anger Bat fans because it panders to little children and it should also anger the parents of little children because it is misleading and implements the use of a children's toy to market mature content. The social media warriors must have been busy with a different cause when this issue was released.

Man, you have been on fire lately.

Keep the posts coming!

I have two little girls and I don't enjoy seeing images of teenage abuse. She is crying while a man is smearing stuff all over her face with a gun between her breasts. I don't enjoy comics that have rape in them like Killing Joke or Identity Crisis.

We eliminated smoking from comics but not rape, seems odd to me.

I have two little girls and I don't enjoy seeing images of teenage abuse. She is crying while a man is smearing stuff all over her face with a gun between her breasts. I don't enjoy comics that have rape in them like Killing Joke or Identity Crisis.

We eliminated smoking from comics but not rape, seems odd to me.

This.

Most of you are missing the point about what kind of comic book Batgirl currently is. It's read by and aimed at young girls and teens, its body positive, cute, smart, funny and inspirational. It's fun.

The editorial staff have let down the creative team by signing off on this cover. Because tonally its just off.