• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why was Hulk cancelled after 6 issues?

62 posts in this topic

Martin was pulling the trigger on comics that actually had decent sales due to his impatience (see Spectacular Spider-Man magazine if I'm remembering correctly) so it's no shock to see a "slower" seller like Hulk getting the axe.

I was able to ask Stan lee many years ago how bad the sales were but never got a solid answer beyond not great. So maybe they were only so-so or really bad? Who knows.

Looking back I always thought the Hulk was more of a carry over from their "monster" period than their other superheroes. That might have hurt too for a fan looking for more of those increasing superhero comics.

He was really Marvel's second series after the Fantastic Four but during his short run Ant-Man was turned into a superhero series, Thor got his own series, Spider-Man was introduced and got his own book by Hulk #6, Human Torch spun off into his own series, and Iron-Man also got his own series by the last issue of Hulk too. Two months later you got Sgt. Fury #1. Four months later Dr. Strange was introduced. Six months later the Avengers #1 and X-Men #1 both hit the stands.

Marvel was clearly on the move and had no time to dwell on the Hulk's less than expected sales though to his credit Stan kept the faith with Hulk never forgetting the character and rewarding him finally with his own series again.

The Hulk's journey proves it's about timing and having faith in a good idea despite early failure.