• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting a pgx book regraded cgc-->should i?

87 posts in this topic

i recently got a fantastic four 48 pgx graded 9.0 with white pages. I really really want to get this pressed by joey and regraded with cgc. However, i'm scared.

I know this is a cgc forum and people here tend to bash pgx. but from what i have read on the internet people say the 2 companies grade pretty consistently.

I'm thinking whats the worse that can happen? it come back 1 whole grade before? at an 8.0?

what do you guys think?

do you guys have any similar experiences you can share.

my goal is to maximize the value for this comic. In that sense a 9.0 or 8.5 would be able to fetch me more money selling than a pgx graded comic.

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated,

Your biggest risk with PGX is them missing restoration.

Then again, I have had a CGC blue come back CGC purple because they didn't detect it originally either.

I had a hulk 181 blue label that was done through CGC signature series and came back with resto that was missed the first time. Only time it's ever happened, but I guess they are human after all.

Well put. I have found CGC to be favorable most of the time. I just got the grades back on a TOS39 and DareDevil 1 that were both restored by the Restoration Lab. They looked like high 7 to low 8 books when sent in. They came back 6.0 and 5.5. I will have to call tomorrow and see what they say.

I bought an 8.0 pgx subby golden age #9 got it graded at cgc and it came in at a 7. I was upset but happy it did not come back restored as is the biggest worry with pgx. On the flip note I sent in a spidey 3 pgx 7.5 and it came back as an 8. You be the judge

Judge what? We all know grading is subjective. PGX's horrible track record for catching resto is not the biggest worry with PGX. It is one major worry of several. I encourage you to use the search function on these boards to read some of the many cases where PGX has been found doing questionable/shady things. Switching out submitted books with lower grade/restored copies, intentionally over grading books and not recording resto for friends/partners of PGX so they can sell them at higer rates, and this is to name just few examples that have been brought up on the boards and other sources.

A fellow boardie sent me to this page years ago.

PGX being sued by collector 2015

to complete the story at the end i just sold the FF48 pgx 9.0.

i decided not to risk it.

i'm no grading expert, but looking at multiple cgc 9.0 comics from the silver age, it was pretty obvious that my pgx 9.0 didn't look "the same".

i didn't use any real standard for my assessment other than "eye appeal" standard.

the cgc 9.0 from the silver age just looked "beautiful". My pgx 9.0 looked like other cgc 7.0. Remember, i'm just using the eye appeal standard.

bought for $800 and flipped for around $1200 so it wouldnt a complete loss.

sorry, i guess we will never know.