• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'll Probably Order Never Another Book From Mile High (a Little Long)

115 posts in this topic

For the record, My Comic Shop did this to me...

I liked a book because it was a sketch variant graded 9.8, pulled the trigger on a Friday Night.

The next day, Saturday was one of the major comic conventions and they released news of a movie.

Monday my order gets canceled, and shortly after the book jumps from 90 to 300 on their site.

Mile High and MCS have both sent me laughable books advertised as "NM".

If you PM me the email on your account, I'll take a look at your order and see if there's anything further I can tell you, but I can absolutely 100% guarantee you we did not cancel your order to hold back inventory that we intended to price higher. We don't do that and never have.

Our shopping cart will limit how many copies you can order of most books, and every once in a while we might cancel an order if somebody placed multiple orders to get around the quantity limit, but even that is rare. We never just cancel somebody's regular order for something because we want to raise the price.

For the record, My Comic Shop did this to me...

I liked a book because it was a sketch variant graded 9.8, pulled the trigger on a Friday Night.

The next day, Saturday was one of the major comic conventions and they released news of a movie.

Monday my order gets canceled, and shortly after the book jumps from 90 to 300 on their site.

Mile High and MCS have both sent me laughable books advertised as "NM".

If you PM me the email on your account, I'll take a look at your order and see if there's anything further I can tell you, but I can absolutely 100% guarantee you we did not cancel your order to hold back inventory that we intended to price higher. We don't do that and never have.

Our shopping cart will limit how many copies you can order of most books, and every once in a while we might cancel an order if somebody placed multiple orders to get around the quantity limit, but even that is rare. We never just cancel somebody's regular order for something because we want to raise the price.

100% is a strong, all-inclusive.... a bold usage....MCS has a solid rep for the most part, and its well earned. But 100%....guess we'll see.

The biggest question is how does Chuck stay so thin.......

If I lived in THAT state, and smoked THAT much dope, I would either have to join the circus, or I would be one of those people getting cut out of their house that you see on TV. That's how much weight I would gain.

Code word : MUNCHIES

No so sure about that… I was the skinniest I've ever been when I smoked as were all my friends. When you get the munchies, you just smoke more and they go away. Or you go smoke a cigarette as a meal supplement.

When I stopped both, I put on a lot of weight.

I don't get it. He sounds off his rocker. He doesn't want to sell comics but he's sure interested in their value - especially how that value goes up the older something is.

I think its more that he believes it will all be worth a lot, lot, more in the future, and would rather build up the worlds biggest stockpile as a legacy/for his inheritors.

My first LCS had a similar mindset. He had been dealing books since the late 60s early 70s and owned a brick and mortar since the late 70s. His stuff was priced really aggressive and he didn't really negotiate. His inventory was incredible though. Almost any book you could ask for, he'd go off and find 3 copies in a variety of grades. They'd always be higher than graded books and I felt they were over graded.

I was talking with his wife one summer when I worked for them. She explained to me that he didn't really want to sell his books. He made enough off the store to live comfortably. He looked at his books as his retirement. Once he sold the store, he could consign a book or two a month with no hassle and live comfortably.

It was an odd way of thinking, but he doesn't work anymore and someone else runs his store. I imagine he doesn't care much what I think…

1.) The absolute number of comics being printed has essentially declined continuously. What constitutes a top selling series from the Big 2 nowadays is (for the most part) the lowest its ever been and still falling.

Chuck seems to be ignoring a key point: WHY those print runs are so much smaller now.

That's going to have a big impact on the second part of his equation/speculation.

I don't get it. He sounds off his rocker. He doesn't want to sell comics but he's sure interested in their value - especially how that value goes up the older something is.

I think its more that he believes it will all be worth a lot, lot, more in the future, and would rather build up the worlds biggest stockpile as a legacy/for his inheritors.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg07.html

He wrote: "My final rule is that you always need to plan your "exit strategy" right from the beginning. What this means is that you need to formulate a plan for how you, or your heirs, can liquidate your collection when the time comes. Before you invest a penny, give some serious thought as to how exactly you're going to get it back. Remember, even dumb little bunnies dig a back way out of their burrows, at the same time as they dig a way in... "

I'm not so sure he intended to leave all that for his heirs. That would be one big headache for everybody concerned. Millions of comics. Would any of his family want to continue the business when he's gone?

Of course, what he says and what he does are not always the same thing.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg07.html

He wrote: "My final rule is that you always need to plan your "exit strategy" right from the beginning. What this means is that you need to formulate a plan for how you, or your heirs, can liquidate your collection when the time comes. Before you invest a penny, give some serious thought as to how exactly you're going to get it back. Remember, even dumb little bunnies dig a back way out of their burrows, at the same time as they dig a way in... "

I'm not so sure he intended to leave all that for his heirs. That would be one big headache for everybody concerned. Millions of comics. Would any of his family want to continue the business when he's gone?

Of course, what he says and what he does are not always the same thing.

His daughter seems interested in the business from what I understand. I just hope she drops that one BF of hers, if she hasn't already. THAT... could be big trouble.

-slym

I got excited and started running through key first appearances in my mind. I started to scoop some up through various websites even though I had a fair size hoard of most already.

Full disclosure, this is the part of the OP's story that makes me want to side with Chucky... almost.