• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Batman 251 - Brazilian Ebal 1974

4 posts in this topic

Rusty staples - Small migration to paper.

Is it a sound approach to grade the book and then deduct 1 - 1.5 points for the rust in this case?

I´m trying to get a method for grading books with rusty staples.

Ebals are known to have this issue

VrybdS1.jpg

88p6wML.jpg

Without the rusty staples, the back cover probably brings it down to the 8.5 range. Seeing is how there is a little migration on the rust, I'd say your estimate of a 1.5 further deduction is probably fair. So around 7.0. Tough to say though, as some might find that level of rust keeping it closer to FN.

Very pretty copy nonetheless. I'm guessing its tough to find these books in nice shape?

Indeed. Due to the type of metal used in Ebal staples, it is virtually impossible to find them with no rust. I have a few of them.but it is very frustrating when you find a nice copy of a very rare book only to see that there is rust on them.

Here is the most frustrating book I have. The rust issue is less than on the 251, but it´s still there.

Thanks for the input.

F0w3TD6.jpg

iwuLkrw.jpg

Without the rusty staples, the back cover probably brings it down to the 8.5 range. Seeing is how there is a little migration on the rust, I'd say your estimate of a 1.5 further deduction is probably fair. So around 7.0. Tough to say though, as some might find that level of rust keeping it closer to FN.

7.0 was my first thought. Neat book!