• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japan's manga comics take on US superheroes

46 posts in this topic

Lone Wolf and Cub can show more depth in a wordless two page sequence than 99.9% of the comics on the shelves today.

On that note, my sister-inlaw went to the LCS to get me a Christmas present. She asked the guy at the counter what I might like that I haven't bought from him (he and I are friends and he knows what I read). He suggested she get me the first Lone Wolf and Cub TPB. He knew I'd never buy it on my own, but was sure I'd like it.

He was right. I loved it. I've now told my wife and sister-inlaw that they can get me Lone Wolf and Cub TPB's as gifts for any occasion. I thing there are about 15 or 20 so I should be getting them for some time to come. 893applaud-thumb.gif

28 893whatthe.gif

There are lots of types of manga, just as there are lots of types of comic books. And lo, lots of manga sucks, just as lots of comic books suck. And also just like comic books, there's really no way to separate the good from the bad unless you just break down and buy some.

There are magazines out there that can be used as a reference in case you want a hint as to what's good before you buy. Try Animerica. Or, pop your head into a manga message board and ask.

That's basically what I did here a year and a half ago, when I got back into reading moderns. Got all kinds of good suggestions. Many weren't my speed, some I still read. You never know.

Transformers= A line of merchandise from an American company that is neither Manga or Anime.

While the specific cartoon and toys called Transformers may have been from an American company, toys, cartoons and comics featuring robots that people sit inside and which change into different shapes have long been a staple of Japanese pop culture, and Transformers clearly came from this concept.

Transformers= A line of merchandise from an American company that is neither Manga or Anime.

While the specific cartoon and toys called Transformers may have been from an American company, toys, cartoons and comics featuring robots that people sit inside and which change into different shapes have long been a staple of Japanese pop culture, and Transformers clearly came from this concept.

No doubt, it's just with a conversation this fractured, I figured clarifying matters might be helpful- even if just from a quality standpoint.

I only read two titles right now- Battle Royale and LW&C.

Is this based on the Beat Takashi movie?

Sort of. It more closely follows (and actually expands) the story as presented in the original Koushun Takami novel (the least artfully translated novel I've ever read, by the way.)