• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book with page(s) missing

10 posts in this topic

CGC usually gives a book with missing a pages a .5 grade as the book is incomplete, possibly a little higher if the missing page isn't a story page. personally I think a Qualified Incomplete grade is more fitting, as a high grade appearing book missing an ad page is going to be far more desirable than a beater missing several story pages.

CGC usually gives a book with missing a pages a .5 grade as the book is incomplete, possibly a little higher if the missing page isn't a story page. personally I think a Qualified Incomplete grade is more fitting, as a high grade appearing book missing an ad page is going to be far more desirable than a beater missing several story pages.

Finhead's link provides this example.

Green_zpsshptjn1f.jpg

Finhead's link provides this example.

Green_zpsshptjn1f.jpg

and it's apparent that that is a very nice copy, sans the inside page, so therefore 0.5

0.5 incomplete is the correct grade

Apparent grade can be seen through the slab :lol:

I always felt that .5 should be reserved for a ragged or brittle POS with little desirability beyond being perhaps parts or the only copy someone can afford. I've never graded incomplete books as poor, but rather just described what was missing and how the book appears otherwise - which is essentially what a qualified grade is. I would have no problem with INC being the largest thing on the CGC label though.

The one thing I don't like about CGCs labels is the lack of specifics as to what's missing storywise - I guess on can usually figure it out from the GCD info, but it would be nice if they said which story or stories are effected.

I'm glad to see they stopped giving coverless books the .5 grade, as once again, a clean off-white coverless copy has a whole different value than a stain ragged brittle one. An NG with page quality, and the generally self-evident structural qualities are enough.