• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could you help me estimate my OA collection

42 posts in this topic

I'm OK with competing at auction for the piece(s) here that interest me. Fact is, cross-border, cross-currency deals can often be a hassle, not to mention that the seller is an unknown entity residing in a foreign jurisdiction. If I think a piece is worth $10K, I might only be willing to offer $8K given the additional hassle/risk. But, I might be willing to pay $10K for the same piece at ComicLink, since they've taken all of the hassle/effort/risk out of the deal, which would net the seller $9K (assuming the piece is bid up to my estimation of FMV).

I think it's a win-win for both sides unless there are people who are privately willing to pay above estimated FMV privately in order to take the auction risk out of the equation.

I'm OK with competing at auction for the piece(s) here that interest me. Fact is, cross-border, cross-currency deals can often be a hassle, not to mention that the seller is an unknown entity residing in a foreign jurisdiction. If I think a piece is worth $10K, I might only be willing to offer $8K given the additional hassle/risk. But, I might be willing to pay $10K for the same piece at ComicLink, since they've taken all of the hassle/effort/risk out of the deal, which would net the seller $9K (assuming the piece is bid up to my estimation of FMV).

I think it's a win-win for both sides unless there are people who are privately willing to pay above estimated FMV privately in order to take the auction risk out of the equation.

That's true as long as there's someone willing to go along with you, bid for bid, and be your underbidder at that number. There's always that risk for a seller in that regard. The guy who contacted him privately may be the only one willing to go to that number. Hard to gauge in most instances.