• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 45, Dont believe the hype ?:?!!

147 posts in this topic

In Life, everyone ultimately loses.

Could not disagree more thoroughly and completely.

But, then, we likely have different definitions of the word "Life."

:)

....that's what makes the world go 'round, brother .....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would sell any and all 55's and 57's now! Especially the 55.

Why?

Usually selling right before the movie is the best time while people are still speculating. Once Ultron has had his day, I don't see him keeping the huge spotlight and attracting a larger number of investors. Unless he is going to play a major part in the Avengers 3, which I don't see happening. Unless you are getting a deal buying the book, I would put that one close to the top of the superhero related do not buy books.

Yeah, there will be an occasional spike here and there after the movie, but even big keys like Avengers #4 saw overall fallout once the movie was over.

In Life, everyone ultimately loses.

Could not disagree more thoroughly and completely.

But, then, we likely have different definitions of the word "Life."

:)

....that's what makes the world go 'round, brother .....GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Disagreement makes the world go 'round...?

hm

Give me a real non-kook site that has real data that shows inflation has been a lot higher than 2-3%/year since the financial crisis. Look back at many consumer prices, and you see things were awfully pricey already in 2007/2008. They crashed during the crisis, and are now somewhat higher than they were in 2007/2008, but not dramatically so.

Anytime someone actually sits down and tries to truly measure inflation, they end up in the ballpark of CPI, or they pick a spending basket that is not representative of the general population.

How many McDonald's chicken sandwiches (zero inflation for like a decade) get eaten for every Ribeye steak (high inflation)? The basket of goods you use to measure inflation needs to reflect the general population's spending.

The truth is though that most of these sites and people in general never actually measure a basket of goods, they just go with their gut feeling. People have a huge tendency to remember the lowest price they paid for something decades ago and equate that to recent inflation, while ignoring the prices that go down.

Not the place for broader economic lessons... but right off the bat you have to know that the CPI is not, nor was it ever intended to be, an "inflation index". The fact that the media doesn't understand the difference doesn't make it so.

The things that matter to people on a daily basis... food, utilities, local taxation, household goods, insurance, are all up dramatically. There are plenty of online sites (real ones... not the kook sites) to support this... or you could just take the time to look at a restaurant menu, your electric bill, a pound of hamburger, increasing mortgage escrow, etc., etc., etc. If you believe all of these things have risen less than 2% per year, then save me a yardspace, 'cause I'm moving to where you live!

So show me a source of real data that gives a picture of large general increases in consumer prices since the financial crisis.

Rent/housing (the single biggest cost in any rational basket) is modestly higher. Food is very mixed. Meat is higher, milk is lower, most canned goods are pretty flat. Produce as a group is not wildly up as far as I can tell.

Natural gas is cheaper than it was before the crisis. So is copper. Corn is about the same (excluding the spike in 2007/2008, which was higher). Those aren't direct consumer prices, but they have the advantage of having readily available non-BLS historical data sources, which most consumer prices don't.

Show me the vast mistake in BLS data from the last ten year or so.

:gossip:

As always, the single piece of the picture never tells the whole story.

Give me a real non-kook site

bias much?

Start with M3 stopping being reported as the housing bubble was starting to burst back in the 05/06 era. Get a real estimate for it from then to now, including the bailouts, and you can find the real inflation rate. Which has everything to do with money supply, and nothing to do with the hedonically adjusted mumbo-jumbo they BS every month.

but really, you lost me at "i cant handle the truth, anyone that posts something I dont agree with must be a kook" ....

Kook was Bookery's word, I just repeated it.

From my standpoint, that means Shadowstats isn't a valid source, since he doesn't actually show any of his work. He is just a black box that says inflation is really high, with nothing to back it up.

Money supply isn't the same as inflation. I'm talking about actual consumer prices people pay. They just aren't up all that much.

If you have sources with real data behind them, I'd love to see them.

Give me a real non-kook site

bias much?

Start with M3 stopping being reported as the housing bubble was starting to burst back in the 05/06 era. Get a real estimate for it from then to now, including the bailouts, and you can find the real inflation rate. Which has everything to do with money supply, and nothing to do with the hedonically adjusted mumbo-jumbo they BS every month.

but really, you lost me at "i cant handle the truth, anyone that posts something I dont agree with must be a kook" ....

The recent declines in gasoline and natural gas prices have done a lot to push back the creeping not so well documented inflation. I am pretty happy my home heating bill was a solid 20-25% less than last year despite a rough winter.

The COL in my area has gone up crazy. I understand this is local, but a $3500 rental in 2007 before the crash is pushing past $4500 and might be $5K. For a frigging 2 bedroom in manhattan (insane) and a 2.5-3 bedroom in Brooklyn. An $850K home is now $1.3 million. True, it is mostly housing, but at the grocery store as well. Last week there was no hamburger for less than $5.99 a pound at the "nice" supermarket where I will not get food poisoning. Sirloin hamburger was $9.19 a pound. I decided no meat for us, but checked out the more "gritty" supermarket near my house (russian roulette on the food poisoning) and ground chuck was $3.99 a pound in a family pack, so I could live with that. Lord knows what sort of steroid bloated anti-biotic infused inhumanely treated cow that meat came from, but it tasted good. OTOH, organic bananas have been 99 cents a pound since forever and Ronzoni pasta continues to be 5/$5 when on sale. When did skirt steak become a $14.99 a pound item? I should probably become a vegetarian.

I know, it's anecdotal. I think the housing market still being depressed in many areas has probably helped hold back overall inflation.

Money supply isn't the same as inflation. I'm talking about actual consumer prices people pay. They just aren't up all that much.

Money Supply is REAL inflation, that was my very point, and it matters to what consumers pay. You'll learn that the hard way when it finally all comes pouring out of the markets into real goods and assets.

As for what consumers pay from day to day, the CPI is complete hedonically adjusted rubbish, I hope you arent saying you think its legit?

A true CPI measure, at the very least, needs to go back about 20 years in terms of how its measured, and even that will still likely be to low.

How high should it be is certainly an open topic for debate, but the starting point for that is without question not the currently declared "CPI"

The recent declines in gasoline and natural gas prices have done a lot to push back the creeping not so well documented inflation. I am pretty happy my home heating bill was a solid 20-25% less than last year despite a rough winter.

The COL in my area has gone up crazy. I understand this is local, but a $3500 rental in 2007 before the crash is pushing past $4500 and might be $5K. For a frigging 2 bedroom in manhattan (insane) and a 2.5-3 bedroom in Brooklyn. An $850K home is now $1.3 million. True, it is mostly housing, but at the grocery store as well. Last week there was no hamburger for less than $5.99 a pound at the "nice" supermarket where I will not get food poisoning. Sirloin hamburger was $9.19 a pound. I decided no meat for us, but checked out the more "gritty" supermarket near my house (russian roulette on the food poisoning) and ground chuck was $3.99 a pound in a family pack, so I could live with that. Lord knows what sort of steroid bloated anti-biotic infused inhumanely treated cow that meat came from, but it tasted good. OTOH, organic bananas have been 99 cents a pound since forever and Ronzoni pasta continues to be 5/$5 when on sale. When did skirt steak become a $14.99 a pound item? I should probably become a vegetarian.

I know, it's anecdotal. I think the housing market still being depressed in many areas has probably helped hold back overall inflation.

You can't really use Manhattan real estate prices to judge anything other than the cost of Manhattan real estate.

The rest of this back and forth... "inflation is really high" / "inflation is not really high" etc... just a religious argument.

1. Show how you derive a value. If you can't show how it is derived, it isn't worth talking about. You don't have to show the math, just reveal how it was calculated.

2. Argue over the formula from #1.

That is basically the only real discussion that can be had on this topic, and it still will often end up in a :slapfight:

I took the opportunity afforded by the big price gain/bubble/who knows on FF45 to sell my 9.4 copy. :headbang:

I thought you said comic collecting is a hobby and not for investments? :baiting:;)

I took the opportunity afforded by the big price gain/bubble/who knows on FF45 to sell my 9.4 copy. :headbang:

I thought you said comic collecting is a hobby and not for investments? :baiting:;)

Having sold the book along with 108 other SA Fantastic Four issues, it wasn't a one-off sale for investment purposes. Just because a collector never buys a comic for an investment doesn't mean he/she can't sell it as they plan for retirement and after it appreciates in value. :grin:

I did say 3 or 4 times that my observations are local and anecdotal.

With that said, my wife was pondering a job in Jackson, MIssissippi so I checked out real estate prices in Madison County, which I guess is the really nice suburb to live down there. Oh well, my dreams of moving to a mansion on a lake for 1/4 of the price of my Brooklyn home were crushed!