• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINAL REDUCTION!! STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO

11 posts in this topic

I'm back with more Steranko rarities.... I'm including some items that have never appeared here on the Boards before, and a few items that even the most hardened Steranko collectors have never seen.

:takeit: trumps PMs. Probies not welcome. Shipping is $4.00 for Media Mail (to U.S. addresses) for any number of items. Overseas and Canada shipped at exact USPS shipping rate, no extra handling charges.

Here we go.... to the Jaunty Jim archive...

PRICES REDUCED... SEE BOTTOM OF THREAD!

Posting a number of items from Jim Steranko's career as a card magician and escape artist...

This is a copy of the super rare STERANKO ON CARDS, first 1st edition 1960 printing.

Entire 102 page book was designed, written and illustrated by Steranko when he was only 22 years old. Includes Steranko photo on cover. This book is legendary among card magicians and very sought after.

This book is in fine to very fine condition. Pages are very nice. It was printed with a clear plastic front and back cover and a plastic comb binding. Front cover has a slight moisture mark at bottom. Clear plastic cover and black plastic binding are both intact.

$82

IMG_9115_zps204e1c0d.jpg

IMG_9116_zpsf32dc578.jpg

IMG_9117_zps9bf52289.jpg

IMG_9118_zpsae98e7e0.jpg

IMG_9121_zps53ecf908.jpg

IMG_9122_zpsba298bd5.jpg

IMG_9123_zps6363df04.jpg

These items are VERY unusual. These books caused a sensation in the magic world when released, and were printed in limited quantities, for industry people only.

In 1962, Steranko published STACKED DECK (as part of Genii magazine), a 20 page book of revolutionary card magic that was written, designed, illustrated and photographed by him.

In 1964, he upped the ante with STERANKO'S WORLD OF ESCAPES (part of Genii Magazine). 47 pages written, designed, photographed and illustrated by Steranko. Yes, it's true that Steranko influenced Kirby to create Mister Miracle.

These books are super rare, needless to say. Highly sought after by hardcore Steranko collectors. If I have time, I'll post interior photos. I'm going to sell these books as a pair:

1962 issue: Fine condition, flat, has small chip out bottom right cover. Pages beautiful.

1964 issue: Fine- condition, wavy top right corner throughout book due to moisture, otherwise beautiful pages and attractive cover.

$245 for both books

img_352_zps8bcc5a7a.jpg

IMG_9748_zps5ukwe8iu.jpg

IMG_9749_zpsjmsdct7s.jpg

IMG_9750_zpsjrptydy4.jpg

IMG_9751_zpsfolv6vue.jpg

IMG_9752_zpsmla3p8pz.jpg

img_353_zps13c3aaeb.jpg

IMG_9754_zpsr0mdkbuh.jpg

IMG_9756_zpsfldhzdkm.jpg

IMG_9757_zpskuhbnmtn.jpg

IMG_9759_zpseztalihk.jpg

IMG_9760_zpsrnaiqzt5.jpg

IMG_9761_zpsaediglgr.jpg

IMG_9753_zpsk2tj3lm5.jpg

How about this one...

The earliest biography/interview ever done on Jim Steranko. Featured in a scarce, limited print-run magazine well prior to his Harvey and Marvel comic book years, and mentions pre-Harvey comic book work! Discusses his magic career up to that point in-depth. Biography is two and a half pages long. Lots of information you'll never find anywhere else. I believe this magazine features the first photograph of Steranko in a national periodical. Magazine is complete and in NM condition. Shown below is the interior.

$45

IMG_5892_zps4fdb7505.jpg

How about something that you have never seen? This is a 1974 directory of significant Berks County residents titled BERKS COUNTIANS, which features an entry on Jim Steranko, featuring a great photograph of Jim in front of an image from The History Of Comics. Super rare. 255 page softcover, fine to very fine condition.

$19

img_361_zps0588dea2.jpg

IMG_9063_zps5eb86614.jpg

This is by far the rarest paperback that Jim Steranko ever did... his cover for the 1970 Berkley Medallion printing of WHY ISN'T A NICE GIRL LIKE YOU MARRIED. Features a color painting by Jim Steranko, never reprinted elsewhere. Very few Steranko fans know that this book exists. This copy is in excellent condition, with only a tiny bindery tear at bottom of spine. Pages in excellent condition. Appears to be unread.

$35

img_379_zps669acca1.jpg

img_380_zps2c27b92e.jpg

So, you may have seen one of these before......

UNSEEN SHADOWS (Supergraphics, 1978)

This scarce book details Steranko's multi-year odyssey to illustrate the 27 different painted covers that he created for the Shadow paperback series between 1975 and 1978. Completely written, designed, illustrated and published by Steranko in 1978.

Unseen Shadows contains 50 pages of pencilled prelims for each cover, some paintings have multiple prelims. Not reprinted in any other volume! A beautiful book for a fan of Steranko's amazing Shadow paintings. Full color covers with b&w interiors.

BUT WAIT.... anyone listening?

This is the HARDCOVER, SIGNED AND NUMBERED edition with dust jacket! LIMITED TO ONLY 325 copies, and published back in 1978. Super rare today. I'm only posting images of the front and back dust jacket. Can supply more photos for serious inquiries.

Hardcover boards and pages are in excellent condition, no tears or creases. The dustjacket has only very minor wear, with no tape or tears.

$500

2015-03-28-0001_zpsiq6d2qqb.jpg

2015-03-28-0001%20copy_zpsa49gftnq.jpg

Anything Outland related? :wishluck:

I've offered collected volumes of Outland for sale previously, and thought I had another copy, but that one is personalized to me by Jim, so it's not for sale. I'll try to offer more in the future. Thanks for asking.

Adding one more new item:

Fiction Illustrated #3, Byron Preiss 1976

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, digest size

Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. Hard to find! The reprint to be released (at some point by Dark Horse) will be computer colored. This is the first printing with original coloring.

This particular copy is in fantastic, unread condition. NM with only a small bindery tear at the top of spine and bottom of spine. If you are looking for a copy of this killer book, you will not find a better one than this. Since it's unread, I won't open the book to take photos, but the pages are cream (better than the usual darker cream or tan that is usually seen with this book.

$70

2015-03-29-0006_zpss64mmdmu.jpg

2015-03-29-0005_zpsodmoudqj.jpg

FINAL REDUCTION!

Unseen Shadows hardcover signed/numbered : $500 now $450

Chandler (Fiction Illustrated #3), digest edition : $70 now $55

1974 Berks Countians directory with Jim Steranko entry : $19 now $15

Steranko On Cards : $82 now $72

Stacked Deck and Steranko's World of Escapes (1962 and 1964 Genii Magazines) : $245 now $220 for both

1st Steranko interview/biography in magazine : $45 now $35

Why Isn't A Nice Girl Like You Married paperback with Steranko cover : $35 now $30

Thanks for looking... I've sold quite a bit of Steranko-related material here and I was hoping to find interest here for these obscure items at the Boards, but I think they are better suited for eBay. I'm open to offers...